• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cabin

We head north on Friday afternoon. I am urging Paul for an earlier departure time that he is thinking of, which will happen (at times, I'm the boss). Menu's to be determined, but there will be shotgun accompanying us. We can just hope that all of the grouse we saw this summer are still around (doubtful). We'll also try, weather permitting, for those crappies that hand in the fall. Oooh, and a stop at F & D Meats for more samples of bacon and sausages! Although there are bathing suits at the cabin, me thinks that we will not be donning them, although I will be tempted.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We can just hope that all of the grouse we saw this summer are still around (doubtful). 

From all reports the grouse are abundant, but the nice weather has kept the leaves on longer than usual so they're hard to spot. Of course, by this weekend that could all have changed.

There are also lots of ducks and geese around. The advantage/disadvantage to hunting water fowl is that hunting is best when the weather is worst.

SB (not much of a hunter at all)

Last year was a great fall on the North Shore. The leaves hung on the trees a lot longer than usual. So long that it was still nice on October 22 a full week or two after most fall leaf chasers hung it up. The weather was also extraodinary that weekend.

This year seems more normal. We were up at St. Croix State Park last weekend spending one day walking in the rain and then Sunday an absolutely beautiful day for a hike to the confluence of the Kettle River and the St. Croix River. What a wonder! St. Croix State Park was practically bug free. Never thought that would happen. :biggrin:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

....but there will be shotgun accompanying us.  We can just hope that all of the grouse we saw this summer are still around

As previously noted, I'm not much of a outdoorman, but I always used to enjoy grouse hunting. (Note: Around here we've always called it Partridge (like "in a pear tree") season, although the birds are technically Ruffed Grouse.) I think because it involved walking casually through the woods on a beautiful autumn day, I didn't really consider it to be hunting?

Another advantage is that, should you actually shoot some birds, grouse are very easy to clean. The skin almost falls off, and if you cut the abdomen just so, the guts spill right out! :shock:

Back when my friends and I used to hunt our cooking skills weren't very finely honed, so we generally ended up throwing them in a stew with potatos and other root vegetables. Anyway, eating wasn't that big a deal to us. Hunting was really just an excuse to stay overnight at the cabin or hunting shack in the fall so we could get drunk at night! :wacko::blink::angry: (me, Leo and Ben pictured, at left, at Leo's folks cabin circa 1969)

SB (hasn't eaten grouse in .... I really don't know how many years? :huh: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

• 10 months later...

I finally dug out the photos from our first trip to the cabin in May. As always, it was wonderful to be back up in heaven, although the water in the lake was lower than we've ever seen, and it was unbelievably dry. Normally when we're up in May, it is wet enough that we can literally hear the water running in the ground. The weather on this trip was outstanding, and we got the dock in. I got a pair of waders for Mother's Day, which made putting the dock in a lot more comfortable. But, true to form, I did a full-body in the water (48 degrees) and washed my hair!

gallery_6263_35_22259.jpggallery_6263_35_83661.jpggallery_6263_35_41925.jpggallery_6263_35_31907.jpggallery_6263_35_63423.jpggallery_6263_35_103940.jpggallery_6263_35_79654.jpggallery_6263_35_38919.jpg

A few notes: Those peanuts from Trader Joe's are really good. Whole Paycheck's olives and ttapenade suck -- they seem watered down. Martinis are wonderful out on the deck. Can anyone guess what is in the last photo?

And, there really is nothing like being up there. It is so quiet. The star display is better than that in a planetarium.

We have only been up twice since -- once in June (no photos; forgot the camera) and this past weekend (photos to come), but have two trips planned back to back in the next couple of weeks, and perhaps another one in August before Labor Day.

Marshmallow, un-camp-fired, because of fire restrictions because of dry weather?

Yep, although we are often wont to do them over the gas stove because we don't have a good fire pit, but yes, the burning bans even made us bring the bag of used toilet paper home in the trash, instead of burning it like we normally do (yes, that is food related!).

I like my marshmallows charred, and I eat them plain, not ala "s'more" -- just too sweet for my non-sweet tooth.

Let's fast forward to mid June.

Sometimes, it seems that every trip is fraught with some foible or another. And, when you are in the middle of no-where, it is different.

We realized when we got to the cabin that no one had paid any attention to my instructions to "get everything from the top of the stairs." So, Paul's bathing suit, Heidi's epilepsy drugs and my camera were the casualties. Thankfully, cell phones were working, so my mom came to our house (she has a key!), and overnighted the meds and suit (I didn't want to risk the camera, nor the EVOO).

This was a truly wonderful weekend. It was wet enough that there was dew in the morning, the grass had grown, and the lake had returned to normal levels. Since my camera was forgotten, no pics.

As usual, we ate well (brats from F & D Meats in Virginia, burgers, salads, brie and baguettes, mojitos, Lucky Charms, steaks, iced coffee, wine, etc., etc.), and most of all, spent time sitting on the deck, frolicking in the water. We skinny-dipped under the Milky Way, and fell asleep every night to literally no noise, other than the bugs humming in the woods behind the cabin. We did no fishing, but mostly because the few boats on the lake were merely buzzing around, not sitting and gitting.

The bugs, however, were pretty interesting. An awful amount of biting gnats, which have a penchant for the hairline and ankles, but I can't recall the last time we've seen so many butterflies and dragonflies. And, fireflies that lit up the woods.

The weather was spectacular. The plans were (we arrived on Thursday) to leave on Sunday morning and drop the teen off at Half Moon Lake for 5 weeks at camp ( :biggrin: ), and the weather cooperated. We woke Sunday morning to brilliant sun, which allowed for a cuppa on the dock and a quick dip before the skies clouded over, and as we shut the tailgate on the Trusty Bronco (circa 1990), the first of the rain fell. We beat feet to get Diana to camp early and drove almost 400 miles to get Heidi to camp in Annandale, MN by 3:30 pm. Breakfast was cold cereal; lunch was sliders and onion chips -- purchased in Hinkley and eaten on the road. One thing that's happened as I've gotten older is that I now get car sick if I eat in the car, so we had one unscheduled stop at the top of a freeway exit ramp for an "unfortate reversal." Ah, memories.

We left thinking we'd get back up there before late July, but things sorta interfered.

But, as I sat at the end of the dock on Sunday morning, then dove in and have a most glorious swim, I was once again reminded that I am indeed the luckiest woman in the world, bug bites and all.

One more catch-up post. We left town on Friday, July 20, early am, to pick The Teen up from camp. She'd been gone for 5 weeks ( :biggrin: ). We got a later than normal start, fortified only with Cheereo's, and since we figured we'd be late picking her up, we didn't stop for additional nourishment on the way up (i.e. Gordy's High Hat in Cloquet for burgers). We didn't realize that The Other Teens and her would spend an hour crying on the lawn about leaving camp. So, as we approached The Lake, we were mighty hungry, when The Trusty Bronco started pulling mightily to one side. Our first flat tire with the Trusty Beast (circa 1992) ever.

It was a bitch. It was hot, buggy, and the road was dusty. And, given the amount of crap we knew that The Teen would load into the Beast, it was our first trip up ever without the tool box. You know something, rocks do not make effective screwdrivers. And, endless vehicles passed, not slowing down, and simply spraying us with dust as Paul proceeded with the primitive screwdriver. Alas, luck would sort of be with us, and someone stopped who had a pliers (in back pocket). Turns out, in-laws of a good friend, and while he and Paul unleashed the jack and other assorted equipment from underneath the hood of the Beast, I asked her how the blueberries were.

Luck would have it that the picking was as fine as it has been in years.

Oh, let me add that on the way up from Eveleth, we had stopped in Virginia at F & D Meats for more of their fine sausages. So, first order of business when we arrived was to start the fridge and the grill, and while that was cooling/heating (respectively), we had a quick dip and then some mighty fine jalapeno brats. Oh, and to make things right, some sliced tomatoes.

During this fine meal, Paul informed me that Ron, a friend of his since jr. high and of mine since sophmore year in college, would be coming up.

Daylight was waning, and Ron showed up. He was really pushing daylight, and his landing was sort of by touch, but seamless:

gallery_6263_35_15811.jpg

Over the rest of dinner, Paul pulled out The Gold. He had printed, off Google Earth, a map of the area, and he and Ron proceeded to pour over it, bound and determined to find a new blueberry hill.

So, Saturday morning (actually rather late, due to hangovers), Ron, Paul, Peter and Ron's son and I head out. That new hill they spotted was a bumpy drive (there's a reason we have the Bronco), and after 45 minutes, this is MY take:

gallery_6263_35_1005626.jpg

A blurry shot of an almost full 5-quart ice cream pail. The berries were indeed the best they have been in years and years.

Saturday night was chicken on the grill, sweet corn, 'maters and green beans.

Sunday morning it was sausages and my waffles (thanks to a stovetop waffle maker).

Lunches simple and plain with sliced deli meat, squishy bread and cheese, along with farmer's market cukes, carrots, etc.

One dinner was BLT's:

gallery_6263_35_19510.jpg

(obligatory counter shot to show you just how little we have):

gallery_6263_35_32523.jpg

The mayo was homemade, and I couldn't remember quite how to make it, and it never quite thickened up. The BLT's were on Trader Joe's take and bake Ciabattini's (wonder, BTW), so Diana used the rest of the mayo the next day, on the last of the ciabattini's for a bastardized eggs benny:

gallery_6263_35_7909.jpg

We got Peter safely to camp (down to two kids again!), and we returned to the cabin. Monday morning dawned sunny and bright. Hot, sunny, with no wind.

The lake bloomed.

gallery_6263_35_13276.jpg

But, that didn't stop us from a final swim and look at the lake.

gallery_6263_35_22504.jpg

It was an unbelievably beautiful weekend. Hot and sunny, with very cool nights (good sleeping weather). Not a sole on the lake. The only noises were the birds (lots of cedar waxwings) and the bugs humming in the woods at night.

Once again, I had my late night swim every night, under the endless stars and the Milky Way.

I return to the Cabin tomorrow to celebrate a Big Birthday. I can't wait.

You've made me miss our cabin, I won't get up again until Labor Day.

Being married to a foreigner has given me an interesting perspective on how lucky so many of us are to be able to go "up nort'" for a weekend, whether to our own cabin or a rental.

It's been four years since my Grandma passed away and after a bit of an estate dispute, the cabin went to my Dad. His Dad built the place in 1952ish. With the arrival of my nephew, now my Mom is "Grandma H" and she's been the victim of many comparisons to her predecessor.

The memories go back as far as any I have - my Grandma was an amazing hostess and she spoiled us kids rotten. Ten people in a small three-bedroom cottage and because of the galley kitchen, we just HAD to pass by the fresh gingerbread cookies or the blueberry muffins everytime we wanted to go from family room to bathroom. They rarely lasted long.

She must have made hundreds of jars of TV mix in her years. We use the same recipe and the same jar, but it hasn't tasted the same in years. Good, but not the same. She spoiled us and yet she was strict when necessary. One of my big brother's friends still remembers being told that if he didn't eat his peas, he couldn't come back next summer. She would never have followed through, but he ate his peas.

Even though I was the chubby kid and under constant pressure to lose weight, Grandpa always let me get ice cream at the little general store. I usually had bubble gum. He always had butter pecan. It was always gone before we got back home.

I had never realized until now that the bubble gum ice cream was the same shade of pink as our cabin. Yes. Pink. My friends never believed me until they got up there. Pink like a pink geranium, my Grandma's favorite flower. The flower we now bring to her grave every summer.

The new Grandma H has a new style. But it's a new era. Perhaps my little baby nephew will grow up with fond memories of caprese salad and homemade salsa instead of rice pudding and gingerbread. Just so long as he has the memories.

My parents painted the cabin tan a few years ago, it was their way of starting a new era. But even when I'm standing on the dock looking back up at it, it's still pink to me. And I can't wait to get back to the pink cabin.

---

Didn't mean to write a novel - just been in a reflection sort of mood :)

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

Just so long as he has the memories.

Ah. The memories. My kids, uber-cool as The Teen thinks herself, still craves that space, and knows, like me, that she is the luckiest of all.

Our bags are packed, we're ready to go. It will be hot tomorrow, and our suits are hanging on a lawn chair on the screen porch, ready to don just as soon as we get the fridge started.

As she said "Mom, you're going to turn 50. Let's head north, and let's look at the stars and the moon."

Lovely, lovely writing. Thanks for the update!

There's a Trader Joe's in Minneapolis now? :blink: Since when? and where?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lovely, lovely writing.  Thanks for the update!

There's a Trader Joe's in Minneapolis now? :blink:  Since when?  and where?

I think there are three now. St. Louis Park was first, at Excelsior & Grand. Second came Maple Grove in the big Arbor Lakes shopping development. And I think there is (or will be) one in Woodbury. We saw coming soon signs back a while back.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

I had a most spectacular birthday, and for reasons on which I will elaborate, one I will never, ever forget.

It was four women, my best friend and I, and our two eldest daughters (15 and 16), and a perfect mix. Kate and Diana get along like peas in a pod, and Susan and I, well, we joke about getting old together, and spending our twilight years sitting on a front stoop in rockers.

We left Tuesday, an absolutely stifling, scorching day, in an aging Yukon, with no A/C. Windows open, sunglasses on, wearing tanks and shorts. In the days when we were in college, we'd have been in a Bug wearing tube tops.

We stopped at Gordy's High Hat in Cloquet, which seemed miraculously cool at 87 degrees, for a quick burger and bottles of water, then off to the cabin, with a quick stop at Zup's in Cook for milk, ice, eggs, trashy magazines for the girls, and lo and behold (this one's for you, Steve), they carry Fraboni's bacon! (More on that later).

Then, to the cabin. What an oven that was. Fridge on, vehicle unloaded, and a bottle of white that had been in ice in the cooler uncorked, but not before the swim suits went on. Hotter than blazes, high humidity, but oh, that water. The layers, like a jello salad. Warm, not so warm, cool, and refreshing.

When I went in to check on the progress of the fridge cool-down, I started a Toddy of coffee for iced coffee. I love my Toddy.

Dinner was brie and baguettes, carrots, tapenade, whatever we felt like eating. Whole Paycheck sells some par-baked baguettes (read take and bake) that are actually very good, so we brought one for each day.

Breakfast day 2 for me (the girls had Lucky Charms) after my amuse of granola with half and half was goat cheese on flat bread.

gallery_6263_35_5360.jpg

No, that's not pepper on the counter, it is lovely formica.

We basically munched our way through the day. This salami was particularly NOT noteworthy. Required a lot of extra cracked black pepper.

gallery_6263_35_31118.jpg

We did not eat a "real" dinner, but chose to continue to munch. Note that so far, the only cooking we've done is to bake two baguettes -- basically heat up the oven and stick them in.

Sometime in the afternoon, the girls made some facial concoctions. One mask with avocado, honey, cream and mashed carrots. It did feel good. We did cuke slices on our eyes with cold compresses on top. And some cucumber eye gel that they also concocted. Girls with cukes on their eyes.

gallery_6263_35_40943.jpg

I found the wash cloth claustrophobic.

Oh, wait, at some point on Wednesday, Susan hardcooked some eggs and cooked some green beans. We thought we might want viniagaretty green beans and perhaps deviled eggs.

My 50th. I grabbed my iced coffee, donned a pareo, and went to lay on the dock.

gallery_6263_35_47785.jpg

What's not to love?

The girls had run into town for frozen Chicken Kiev's and pizza rolls (a vehicle and keys burn holes in their pockets). We also had them pick up ice, and they brought back a block of ice, but no worries. I can wield a hammer with the best of them. Susan baked some bacon for our picnic on Friday on the way home.

gallery_6263_35_34561.jpg

For an early dinner, Susan and I made Salads:

gallery_6263_35_3070.jpg

Yes, canned tuna in olive oil and I did also remember anchovies.

And shared a bottle of this:

gallery_6263_35_24865.jpg

The girls had also bought a cake mix and canned frosting for cupcakes. They were OK.

And, somewhere along the lines, we sliced some tomatoes, fresh mozz, and tore the basil, drizzled some balsamic and olive oil. A nice snack.

It was another lovely week at the cabin, this one punctuated by lots of moments of doing nothing but looking at the lake, reading (I read two novels!), listening to KAXE, talking and napping.

But, to another important event. I call Paul every night when I'm up at the cabin. He's pretty insistent on that. Wednesday night, I kept getting "all signals are busy," but then, the call went through. Him: "Have you heard the news?" Me (blighfully): "Well, yes, we heard the phrenology report, the butterfly lady was on, and there was some guy on talking about butterflies. And, oh, the postman called in with a gardening report from his route." Paul: "No, I mean The News." Me: "What are you talking about?" Paul: "You might want to turn to the MPR news station. The bridge over the Mighty Miss on Interstate 35W collapsed."

Now, what makes this so interesting is that when I was growing up, my mom talked about how all of their news was over the radio, and often they actually ate dinner with the radio on. And, how, the memories of what you ate would stay with you forever when associated with a Big Event.

And, as I went back into the cabin, after turning to MPR, and listening to the news, I remembered her saying this. I'll remember always smearing the goat cheese on yet another piece of flatbread and opening a bottle of white the night before my 50th, and remember the crunch and tang and cool when I am reminded about this event in years to come. (As an aside, everyone I know is fine, and it sure seems that the cost in human life is remarkably low, and I thank everyone for their kind and thoughtful PM's).

Then, I hearkened back to hearing that Princess Diana had died. I was sitting in the corner on the deck, having a vodka tonic, eating Eichten's tilsit with tart green apples. When JKF Jr. was reported missing, I was sitting in the same place, but we were having pate on baguettes. The list goes on. And, the radio is a unique medium for disseminating the messages. The news is delivered orally, with no visuals, and is not nearly as "staccato." Instead of 30 second interviews, they go on for quarters of hours.

But, to return to the nuts and bolts of my trip. We left on Friday morning. Another quick breakfast of cereal, whatever was leftover and appealing. I baked four of Trader Joe's take and bake ciabattini's, and packed he lettuce and mayo at the top of the cooler. The bacon, foil wrapped, has been warmed in the oven enough to take off the chill. I remember a knife, paper napkins and a paper plate for slicing tomatoes.

The goal was a picnic at the Wellstone Memorial Park, located just outside Eveleth. It is a beautiful, zen-like spot. Nice and cool, very peaceful. And, we had BLT's sitting on a cool granite bench. If you're in the area, think picnic there.

Then, we were off just down the road to pick Peter up from 2 weeks at camp. Then home, where, for the first time in 8 weeks, the five of us were together.

I came home relaxed and refreshed. I swam and swam and swam, and the last thing I did every night is what I do every night. Shed the clothes, and go for a dip in the lake, under the milky way and the stars, and watch the Big Dipper move across the sky. And, like I do every time I get out of the water, I pronounce it "the best swim of my life."

We return on Monday with my folks, sister/husband/daughter in tow. Paul and the kids will be with me.

Susan,

We have been annual pass-holders at Disneyland for years and because we can visit whenever our schedule allows (we live an hour's drive away) we generally only go for 5-6 hours and we will buy dinner somewhere in the park. My 26 y/o daughter asked for an all-day trip before we got busy with the Northern California Pleasure Faire because for about 2 1/2 months we just can't make it. Looking at our money we figured to take a picnic lunch to eat in the picnic area and then buy dinner - which we did.

Your descriptions of just having nooshing stuff around for lunch up at the cabin inspired me. Instead of our usual sandwiches, yogurt and fruit lunches we took something a bit more fun. My sweet wife had found a 3-pack of Kerrigold cheeses (Sharp cheddar, Dubliner, and something Gouda-ish) so we started with that and for other protein (I'm a die-hard carnivore) we added some sliced salami and sliced chicken breast. She made fresh hummis Saturday night (with enough garlic to guarantee no vampires) and we already had pita pockets in the freezer. Add some crackers, our ever-present celery and carrots and some tasty red grapes and we had a tasty and different lunch.

Thanks for helping me think outside the (lunch)box.

gallery_50351_4838_128187.jpg

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 months later...

Although I have photos and reports for late August and Labour Day weekend trips, those will wait until the dead of winter when we all need a boost.

But, tomorrow morning, we head north once again, to button up the cabin. Time that the storm windows went on and that we bid a fond farewell to the cabin for the year, and make sure she's set for 2008. It will be a heavier cooking weekend; a nice braise eases the burden on the woodpile and the shoulders of those who stock said woodpile.

Since the deer hutning season is open (archery onlly at this time), blaze orange has been packed for all of us.

In the bag: apples (for a pie), everything for a potroast (except the roast), great salami, bread, butter, wine, stuff for soup. On the way up we'll get the bacon, sausage for breakfast and the chuck for the potroast. We have flour, sugar and cinnamon for the pie up north.

While I'll (most likely) not swim, I'll surely get ankle deep (to get washing water), and will likely lay on the deck late at night, noting how the stars have moved, and watch the Milky Way. Weather predictions are cold and clear (with a slight chance of the "S" word flurries). Time to fire up the oven and get cozy! It has been a very busy fall here, and we are more than ready for deafening silence amidst the smells of cinnamon and bacon and a nice roast.

SF, I have finally made the time to scan your cabin chronicles from the beginning. The kids went to sleep early and my lovely wife dozed off while we watched "Anthony Bourdain decoding Ferran Adria" on the laptop in bed. I know, how romantic.

Your place looks great, your family and friends are a treasure! I did the New Year's Day polar swim thing once about ten years ago, never again, brrrrr. Your cabin experience seems very familiar to me - its was so nice to get a virtual getaway just now.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Enjoy your last weekend, Susan! We closed ours a couple of weeks ago, (although technically we could use it all year) and there was frost on the ground when we did. Braises were certainly in order then.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

That time of year again. Closed up for the winter. I woke up to 25 degrees this morning so I guess that is it. :biggrin:

I closed up a different way. I drove 900 miles in our camper van this week for one last trip and today I emptied the water tanks and waste holding tanks, put anti-freeze in the sink traps and buttoned it up for the winter. We may go up to the North Shore again yet this winter but will stay in lodging.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

It was a grand and glorious weekend. Although we thought about leaving here on Friday evening, the idea of a 40 degree cabin (remember, the mattresses are the same temp!) and the dark night made us wait until Saturday morning, and it was a good thing.

Not but 300 yards from the cabin we were greeted with a tree down, and since we had foolishly left without a flashlight in the caar, it would have been a painful walk to get the chainsaw, and we've learned over the years that chainsawing by headlight is no fun, not to mention dangerous.

gallery_6263_35_70919.jpg

It is cold in the cabin. I am wearing shorts and crocs, so the first order of business is warming things up.

gallery_6263_35_33123.jpg

This is of primary importance at this time of year for the safety of all of us:

gallery_6263_35_51505.jpg

Once we get the fridge and stove pilot lights and wood-burning stove started, the kids let me know that they are hungry. Since the loaf of bread somehow ended up under the potatoes, it is somewhat squished. But, not beyond repair, and we do have ham and cheese, and Peter digs something out of the cabinet, and so:

gallery_6263_35_39077.jpg

It is the similar race around to reacquaint ourselves with our favorite space, and load up the fridge. Since there were only four of us this weekend, we were able to do it with a small (16 quart?) Igloo, and this is all that was in the fridge:

gallery_6263_35_49468.jpg

We had stopped at F & D Meats in Virginia for meat for Sunday night, bacon, and Fraboni's breakfast sausage links. We also picked up some pickled herring (a particular weakness of mine).

Once we got the fire going, it was onto the storm windows. Given how cold it was going to get that night, I was mighty glad we'd put them on.

Dinner was clam chowder, and some take and bake ciabatinni from Trader Joe's. I turned the oven on as soon as we got to the cabin for some rather instant heat.

gallery_6263_35_28510.jpg

The clams were from a vacuum sealed package (Starkist?) and I used bottled clam juice. The idea of hauling up fresh clams and hauling the shells home was, well, not in the cards.

We spent Saturday evening listing to Green Cheese on KAXE (kaxe.org), which is a call in the answers trivia show. Peter successfully answered and called in three answers!

Sunday morning dawned late, and COLD! 23 degrees. When I went out for my first cuppa, this is what I saw:

gallery_6263_35_103481.jpg

The deck was slippery with frost, and trust me, the grass looked "hoarier" in person than it did in this photo! The 2 gallon bucket of water we'd left on the deck was frozen.

Breakfast was bacon from F & D, with waffles and yogurt.

Followed by Peter and I baking an apple pie. We used Haralson's, which we'd picked at an orchard just a few days before:

gallery_6263_35_28684.jpg

The apples were small, and not very pretty. Did you know that when you buy apples int he market, they look so shiny because they have been through an apple polisher?

I can't seem to find a photo of the finished pie, but per requests, it had a lattice crust, and I always cut my apples into eights, not slices, because I like it chunky. My family doesn't seem to know that a pie can be any other way, so that's just fine with me.

As soon as the pie was out of the oven, it was off on a car trip to get gas for the generator, which we don't run very often, but which can be handy when one needs a power tool. On the way, we saw a lot of deer. A lot. Anyone who thinks that primo hunting time is early in the morning is missing the lunch crowd. They were thick and heavy, as were the eagles and snow birds, which look more like butterflies.

We returned and went for a walk, because we'd scared up a grouse on our drive -- not but 100' from the cabin. Although this was predicted to be a huge grouse year, we saw only the one, and no grouse hunters.

In fact, we didn't see many hunters at all, other than a couple of bow hunters. Here in MN, the archery season is open, but the gun season doesn't start until next week, and believe me, there will probably be more people up north in MN next weekend than any other weekend.

But, back to our weekend. We spent some serious time doing some serious things:

gallery_6263_35_58010.jpg

Sunday night, I fixed a potroast in great-grandma's trusty and well seasoned Griswold.

This morning, it was sausages and the rest of the apple pie. The kids had sandwiches just before we left, and just after we'd changed the oil in the generator, and we'd had several walks. Oh, and Paul did Mouse Duty (ask if you are interested in a great way to get rid of unwanted mice).

Seen on our walks were signs of what will come next year:

gallery_6263_35_75988.jpggallery_6263_35_98284.jpg

Any guesses as to what these will produce?

But, I leave you with a thought as we have probably closed the season. It was blissfully quiet. In fact, almost deafeningly quiet. It was us, books, food, games, and just being a family without any of the things that so interfere -- computers, phones, washing machines, mowing. Just us. The moon (waning) was so bright, one could get up in the middle of the night for a pee and not need a flashlight. We saw very, very few people this weekend. Finally, we stood on the deck and were reminded that yes, indeed, we are the luckiest folks in the world.

(edited to note that we didn't have a flashlight in the car; trust me, we have plenty in the cabin!)

gallery_6263_35_38270.jpg

Seen on our walks were signs of what will come next year:

gallery_6263_35_75988.jpggallery_6263_35_98284.jpg

Any guesses as to what these will produce?

Strawberries and blueberries, oh my! :laugh:

Seriously beautiful cabin and scenery, Snowangel. I envy you the cool/cold weather; South Florida is still very warm and humid. I wait impatiently for the first "cold snap" of the year.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

gallery_6263_35_39077.jpg

Flying saucers!! :wub:

When you get to a camping site and have to set up after dark, a flying saucer cooked over a lantern is a wonderful thing (or over the campfire). I think my parents sold our similar contraption when they sold the cottage and I haven't seen one since. Lovely.

• 6 months later...

Oh! Oh! Oh!

This has been the Winter From Hell, and the Winter That Won't End. But, it appears that ice out (a Northern term) is charging north rapidly, so although we won't make the opener (this coming weekend), it looks like we will open 'da joint the following weekend. Let's just hope there are two pair of waders up there, or I'm going to be mighty goose-pimply. Given how this winter has gone, we were thinking that it would be end of May or early June before we got up, but...

Let's just hope the marsh marigolds are up and that we are able to get away early enough to get to the meat market in Virgiinia.

Stay tuned. This trip is sorta weather dependent. We'd like to get the dock in (BRRR!), but we'd also like a weekend of doin' nothin' except watching open water.

Perhaps a braise? Time to fire up the stove and get the Griswold out of dry-dock.

We've decided to pull two of the three kids from school on Friday. I'm trying to talk hubby into taking the whole day off so we can get on the road early.

But, what will make this "opening weekend" different is that it will just be four of us. The other folks who normally go up are involved in way too many things, and Our Teen (Diana) will be going up north (not far south of us!) for a weekend at camp where she will be a counselor this summer.

So, we're going to stop at the meat market in Virginia for brats for one night. Any suggestions for a meal for dinner 2? (Nothing that requires bringing a leftover or trash home need apply).

I'm ready. More than ready. The Rubbermaid Action Packers have the clean linens, bathing suits (!!!), and the big jug o water is ready. Add eggs and a few other supplies (I can't find my list anywhere that tells me whether we need TP, or flour anywhere).

But, I'm hoping it has been warm enough that as we drive in, and Paul lets me off at the end of the road so I can walk it in, there will be marsh marigolds.

Ah. Spring. We opened two weeks ago. Very quiet up there right now. This weekend, the first long weekend of the spring/summer will see everyone opening their cottages. We are going up tomorrow, to avoid traffic and such. We had 18 ft of snow at our cottage over the winter, and the weight of the snow bent the frame of our dock. I don't think we'll be putting our boats in this weekend.

It is supposed to be a cool rainy weekend here. Susan, your suggestion of a braise is sounding really good right now.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.