• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 New Jersey Monthly Readers' Choice Awards

Rosie

2003 New Jersey Monthly Readers' Choice Awards

Best of the Best

North

Stage House Restaurant and Winebar

The Manor

Andre's

Central

Restaurant Nicholas

The Ryland Inn

Stage Left

South

410 Bank Street

Ebbitt Room

Rivoli's

CONGRATULATIONS to all of the winners and to our very own LOU REDA from An American Grill who won Best New American, North.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've got to go to The Stage House. I can't believe I never gotten off my arse and made the trip here. I just might go Thursday night.

Scotch Plains is a very nice walking town, like Westfield.

Pleasant stores, very downtown feel to it. In either town, I enjoy parking a few bocks away and walking to and from the restaurant.

SHI&WB has a corkage deal running on some nights during the summer, call ahead and see if Thursday is one of them

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

rosie, is there a complete list we can read, and subsequently rip apart?

"Stage House Restaurant and Winebar"

has SHI changed their name/identity a bit to fit in with their great wine program?

Yes, there is a list but it's too long for me to type. It's in the magazine. What do you want to know?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've got to go to The Stage House. I can't believe I never gotten off my arse and made the trip here. I just might go Thursday night.

yes you do. hell, let's get a big group to go.

Sue and I would be up for it

There must be alot of rich people in Bergen County who think that $75 plus per person for dinner is inexpensive.

i'd like to think that's the case. but it's an unlikely explanation.

I'd hire a shuttle bus for those in Bergen that want to spend $75 per on dinner.

No drop offs at Bada Bing :hmmm:

What about Rivolis in Toms River? Possibly the worst restaurant in the state makes a best list. That name should not even be mentioned in the same breath as the others. Rumors of ballot stuffing have finally come true in my mind. Rivolis, what a joke!

I spoke with New Jersey Monthly and they said the following:

"While personally we may disagree with some of the results, they are our readers' choices and all ballots have been vetted for fraud. Frankly, there are some choices we don't understand or agree with, such as River Palm as an inexpensive restaurant, but can't invalidate choices we don't agree with because that defeats the purpose of the Poll. We included critics' and chefs' picks this year. How do e-gulleteers feel about those choices?"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

I was just skimming through the August issue of NJ Magazine and came across the Reader's poll for the best of the best. Pal's Cabin was voted best for lunch - maybe it was in 1969 but have you had a meal there lately? Don't! The funniest was Outback Steakhouse for best steak in Southern NJ. Are they kidding?

Polls such as this one are suspect and, in my opinion, a waste of time; They have a very low number of respondents, about 2,000-- if, say, 500 are from South Jersey, and they vote for 100 different restaurants, then a restaurant can "win" a category with 6 votes!!

Another useless poll is the "World's Best" that they do every year in Conde Nast Traveler-- If you read these polls with a grain of salt, they can be slightly amusing and interesting, but never reliable.

Best Steak at Outback-- that is hysterical; maybe the best burger is McDonalds!!

What about best casual italian central jersey. The macaroni grill!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Romano Brothers must be proud. Dont get me wrong i like the mac grill but i ahve to think that there is a better little italian place out there then them.

What about best casual italian central jersey. The macaroni grill!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Romano Brothers must be proud. Dont get me wrong i like the mac grill but i ahve to think that there is a better little italian place out there then them.

Buona Sera - Red Bank

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak