• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DQ Blizzards

zilla369

I finally saw the Blizzard commercial this morning. It wasn't a very good one, though I think it must have been the abridged edition--the one with the red, white and blue candy (maybe m & ms?). The Blizzard was turned upside down so quickly, that had I not known to watch for this, I actually would have missed it. The wonderful irony was that I was at the gym at the time--sweating on the Stairmaster!

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

There are 54 Dairy Queens in Japan. The first Japanese Dairy Queen opened in 1972.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There are 54 Dairy Queens in Japan. The first Japanese Dairy Queen opened in 1972.

Oh my god you are right!

http://www.dairyqueen-jp.com/menu/

Only 1 in Tokyo and 1 in Yokohama they tend to be concentrated more in the south, hhhmmmm..............

Need to check out that Yokohama one, I have been to that exact location hundreds of times, why have I never seen it! :blink: ?

Doesn't look like they have blizzards, but there is only one way to find out! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Do I recall something called a Dilly Bar?  Was it the name of that cookie ice cream sandwich?

While you recall correctly, the fact that I never seek anything but a blizzard there means that I had not missed them, so I cannot verify their departure.

Do I recall something called a Dilly Bar?  Was it the name of that cookie ice cream sandwich?

The Dilly Bar is a round ice cream bar: ice cream on a stick, dipped in chocolate/cherry/butterscotch dip, stored in the freezer. When I was a kid the cherry Dilly Bar was my favorite DQ treat (I think it was the name). I think it's still around.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

The Dilly Bar is a round ice cream bar: ice cream on a stick, dipped in chocolate/cherry/butterscotch dip, stored in the freezer.

What great memories... Dilly Bar, DQ Belt Buster. Good stuff.

Here's a picture of the Dilly Bar.

I have a friend here whose inlaws owned the very first DQ in Texas.

We only go to them when we are on a road trip to someplace far, like Alpine or El Paso. Lots of the small towns have DQ's and no place else to eat. You drive through, (remembering to go less than 30 mph because the cops are crazy bored there), and hit the DQ.

Unfortunately, I 've seen a real decline in upkeep of these places. We sometimes wonder if DQ is on the way out in rural areas...that would be such a shame. Usually the fixtures are old, the building is old and almost beyond repair, and the Blizzard machine is broken.

Anyone remember the Breeze? It was a short-lived low-cal blizzard. Can't find it any more.

Anyone remember the Breeze? It was a short-lived low-cal blizzard. Can't find it any more.

The Breeze was exactly like a Blizzard, but made with lower-calorie frozen yogurt instead of soft-serve. Frozen yogurt was also an option for cones, sundaes, etc.; it was a creamier color and dispensed from a star-shaped, rather than the usual round, dispenser, so that it looked different from the soft-serve. I don't see any mention of the frozen yogurt on the website, so it must have been phased out.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Ok, I've never had a Blizzard but... while in St Louis in June, I had a "concrete" at Ted Drewes on old Route 66. The treat is so named because it is a thick, and I mean thick mixture of soft ice cream (they call it custard) and whatever "aggregates" you choose to add in. Anyway, according to local lore, the DQ Blizzard's creator got his inspiration after sampling one of Ted Drewe's concretes. Anyone here have the real "scoop" on this one?[

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I am a big-time Blizzard fan here. The only kind I get is Reese peanut butter cup in vanilla ice cream. It's the only one I'll eat. I've tried one with chocolate chip cookie dough in it, but no way...no can do.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

The Dilly Bar is a round ice cream bar: ice cream on a stick, dipped in chocolate/cherry/butterscotch dip, stored in the freezer. When I was a kid the cherry Dilly Bar was my favorite DQ treat (I think it was the name). I think it's still around.

For research purposes only, of course, FG and I dragged my parents to my favorite of the local New Haven Dairy Queens in order to see the current offerings. The Blizzard, as we all know, is alive and well but there were a host of other selections. The Dilly Bar, The Buster Bar and the ice cream sandwich (I can't remember what it's called) are all still alive and well. The Misty Mist (now just called a Misty) was being promoted in the window as were the various popsicle-type items in star and circle shapes with red, white and blue color/flavors in each. The Brownie Earthquake Treat looked fantastic. I saw a family ahead of us on the line getting one. I almost asked for a bite. They also still have the Peanut Buster Parfait, though to date, I’ve never had one.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

For research purposes only, of course, FG and I dragged my parents to my favorite of the local New Haven Dairy Queens in order to see the current offerings. The Blizzard, as we all know, is alive and well but there were a host of other selections. The Dilly Bar, The Buster Bar and the ice cream sandwich (I can't remember what it's called) are all still alive and well. The Misty Mist (now just called a Misty) was being promoted in the window as were the various popsicle-type items in star and circle shapes with red, white and blue color/flavors in each. The Brownie Earthquake Treat looked fantastic. I saw a family ahead of us on the line getting one. I almost asked for a bite. They also still have the Peanut Buster Parfait, though to date, I’ve never had one.

Just the other day, I had a Dilly Bar with a mint-like ice cream in it. So good! My ice cream decision was made up when I walked in! :wink:

I've noticed that our local Dairy Queen has now become Dairy En.  At first I thought it was just that a few letters had fallen off, but it appears that they've broken away from the corporate pack.  At least they're still selling blizzards.

They better watch out, someone from Corporate finds out and they'll be slapped with a law suit!

I say this, as I used to work for corporate...but don't worry, their secret is safe with me!

We only go to them when we are on a road trip to someplace far, like Alpine or  El Paso. Lots of the small towns have DQ's and no place else to eat. You drive through, (remembering to go less than 30 mph because the cops are crazy bored there), and hit the DQ.

Unfortunately, I 've seen a real decline in upkeep of these places. We sometimes wonder if DQ is on the way out in rural areas...that would be such a shame. Usually the fixtures are old, the building is old and almost beyond repair, and the Blizzard machine is broken. 

I think alot of them are being pressed out because, at least in the Hill Country, North, and East Texas they are no longer the only place to eat in town. Especially if said town is on or near a major highway.

I've also noticed that, for the most part, treats, not eats, are being praised. I'd stay away from their food menu. I'll take Whataburger, and their fries, any day over the mighty DQ. Luckily, since Whataburger seems to have targeted DQs recently with their store openings, all one has to do is run across the street for a delicious DQ dessert.

Oreo Blizzard all the way. Funny, I don't remember them inverting it last time I got one.

Rice pie is nice.

They also still have the Peanut Buster Parfait, though to date, I’ve never had one.

On your next jaunt to New Haven, rectify this! And be hungry. I found I couldn't wolf one down with the lightning spped of my youth.

And Fress: Thanks for the priceles LeMond quote.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

They also still have the Peanut Buster Parfait, though to date, I’ve never had one.

On your next jaunt to New Haven, rectify this! And be hungry. I found I couldn't wolf one down with the lightning spped of my youth.

And Fress: Thanks for the priceles LeMond quote.

Makes you wonder: what does Lance Armstrong eat? :smile:

If you've read his book It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Through Cancer, (and if you haven't, you should), Lance used to make a beeline for Chuy's for a burrito & beer after a big race.

Hey, Lance: when you win the Tour de France, buy Dilly Bars for the Postal crew!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Tour de France winner Greg LeMond once was asked what he thinks about on a long ride.  He replied, "Dairy Queen.  G-d, I love Dairy Queen."

Greg LeMond has always been my hero--now there's simply no question!

Doesn't Fat Guy own a bike as well? I seem to remember him writing about some skinny cycling friends.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

We sometimes wonder if DQ is on the way out in rural areas...that would be such a shame. Usually the fixtures are old, the building is old and almost beyond repair, and the Blizzard machine is broken.

Nah... most of the DQs everywhere are like that. :biggrin: Up north the economics are even weirder, 'cause some DQs CLOSE FOR THE WINTER!

My local DQ lot used to get taken over every fall by a Christmas Tree lot. Then it would sit fallow for a few months and the DQ would re-open. Until one summer, when the DQ never re-opened. :angry:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Amazingly, we've even seen DQs in the south that close during the winter months. You can imagine my disappointment after spying the red roof and unmistakable DQ sign off in the distance only to find that there's a cardboard sign in the window that says "closed for the winter." Can you imagine? In the south? My favorite DQ in New Haven is open ALL YEAR--and there are always people there.

One of these days I want to try one of the DQ cakes. Never have had the food--and don't plan to. In my mind, Dairy Queen is an ice cream destination.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

The only Dairy Queen I go to is the one in Manchester, Connecticut. I'm glad that's open all year and not seasonal.

And...it's got a drive-thru! I don't know about that. You guys have Dairy Queens with drive-thrus?