• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DQ Blizzards

zilla369

I'm just having a Dairy Queen Strawberry Cheesequake Blizzard. I'm sure most of us in the US have seen the commercial with the guys holding the dessert upside down and singing the little "Doood-dood!" song.

It's pretty good, it's not just cheescake-flavored, it has little bite-sized chunks of cheesecake (with crust!) blended into it. The cool thing is, they served it to me out of the window at the drive-through upside down with no lid on. I love it!

wopwopwopwopwopwopwopwop Dude, Dude....

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I love Dairy Queen. Usually I get a large cone (is there any other size?) but I had a friend in college who was a blizzard regular. She would select her own toppings to add in (can they be toppings if they're not on top?). Every creation was a treat.

Nice touch the upside-down hand-off.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

After my brother spent a summer where every single lunch came from a drive-through, he said DQ had easily the best burgers. That's compared specifically to McD, BK, Wendy's. I've never tried them. My favourite treat as a kid was the peanut buster parfait but I tried one a few years ago and couldn't finish it. The ice cream was kind of watery with no real vanilla flavour and the fudge was like a thicker Hersey's syrup, which I've never liked. Was really disappointed because I fully expected to still enjoy it.

I'm reminded of a very bad joke involving Italian tires.

But for the best cheesecake ice cream, try Dreyer's Dreamery New York Style Cheesecake -- cheesecake ice cream, with chunks of cake and strawberry swirl.

I'm a Heath bar Blizzard man myself. But what I really want to mention here is that there's an unbroken Law of Dairy Queen Size:

The size of the local Dairy Queen is inversely proportional to the size of the town.

Tiny towns have the big ol' DQs, with the brazier, even the playland. But DQs in cities are tiny. Sometimes just takeout, with no seating or anything.

Dare I ask to go back to basics here? I have a DQ in the general vicinity, but have never had this blissful Blizzard, nor have I seen commercials for it.

What is it? My impression is that it's ice cream with stuff in it, yet not quite ice cream, but more than a milkshake with stuff. Soft-serve with stuff??

I assume that there's a non-trojan non-shill for DQ :smile: here that could explain exactly what it is, and why I should seek it out...

Even being dairy intolerant, I find I will endure horrible gastrointestinal consequences on occasion just to have a chocolate or vanilla blizzard with strawberries and oreos.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, it appears that Jason, DVSDave, and maggie ARE trojan shills for DQ, and unable to answer my question. :biggrin:

Again, WTF is a DQ Blizzard?

[Full disclosure: After thinking about it, I HAVE seen TV ads for it. But not within the last five years or so. I skip ads on commercial TV, and I don't even have a tivo. BTW, as long as I'm digressing, History Detectives ROCKS. But nevermind, they haven't discussed food yet on H.D.]

Well, you actually guessed right; it's simply Dairy Queen soft-serve with add-ins blended in, but very thick....in consistency somewhere between ice cream and a milkshake.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

My favorite's a chocolate blizzard with Reese's peanut butter cup mixed in. And they always hold the cup upside down for you to show that the spoon doesn't fall out before handing it to you.

I've noticed that our local Dairy Queen has now become Dairy En. At first I thought it was just that a few letters had fallen off, but it appears that they've broken away from the corporate pack. At least they're still selling blizzards.

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

I've never seen the commercial in question. Does that make me out of touch with the current generation? I never stray from vanilla. My greatest detour will be a chocolate dipped vanilla cone. Of course, I'm not averse to tasting anyone else's selections but at heart, I'm a DQ purist.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Oreo mint or chocolate malted milk ball Blizzard for me, please. Do Blizzard flavors differ from region to region? I've seen combinations offered at one DQ but not another.

All of you are making me hungry. I suppose I'll have to hit a DQ tonight...

I love those chocolate-chip cookie ice cream sandwiches too. Can't remember what they're called right now, but I used to eat them often when I was younger and had a higher metabolism.

I love those chocolate-chip cookie ice cream sandwiches too. Can't remember what they're called right now, but I used to eat them often when I was younger and had a higher metabolism.

Thanks for reminding me... :shock: I loved those cookie ice cream sammies.

Plus: I live a one minute drive away from a DQ. I think maybe I should walk there!

When the siblings and I gather at the parental home for a holiday and have a couple of 'tinis, the worst thing about our childhoods that we can throw at our mother is: "You never let us get the chocolate dipped cones! They wouldn't have been that messy in the car! " This happens every single visit.

Another biographical note: The DQ in question was owned by Paul Anka's father in Gatineau, Quebec.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

When the siblings and I gather at the parental home for a holiday and have a couple of 'tinis, the worst thing about our childhoods that we can throw at our mother is: "You never let us get the chocolate dipped cones!  They wouldn't have been that  messy in the car!  "  This happens every single visit.

A very healthy response, I'm sure. And good that you remind your mother--every time--of her parenting failure.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

sort of like Friendly's?

I've never been to a DQ. Friendly's otoh was a part of my teenage years. Who can forget Reeses Pieces and Snickers bars sundaes? :blink:

Soba

------

edit:

reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer goes into the 7-11 shop and tries to get an ice cream cone topped with free sprinkles, including a fried chicken leg as a "sprinkle" :laugh:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer goes into the 7-11 shop and tries to get an ice cream cone topped with free sprinkles, including a fried chicken leg as a "sprinkle"  :laugh:

Try going to Burger King and asking for extra pickles, mayo and meat on the Whopper. That kind of special order sure did upset them.

After reading this thread earlier on this afternoon, I was struck by the need for a Blizzard. Ten minutes before the nearest DQ closed, I finally convinced my mom to go with me to get one-- she got Heath bar, I got Snickers.

It was awesome. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

The cool thing is, they served it to me out of the window at the drive-through upside down with no lid on.  I love it!

errrr, zilla? do they tell you it's upside-down? if not, they're opening themselves up to a frozen genitals lawsuit.

Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard on Rte 66 in St. Louis serves "Concretes." The official test of a proper Cconcrete is if it can be turned upside down and nothing falls out.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Even being dairy intolerant, I find I will endure horrible gastrointestinal consequences on occasion just to have a chocolate or vanilla blizzard with strawberries and oreos.

Me too! :biggrin:

me 3! :blink:

2317/5000