• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best frying pan

fat_mamma

For the last couple of years, I had to change my set of non-stick frying pan every 12 months. Le last brand I got (loved it) was "titan"; very heavy frying pan with non-stick coating; but one of my guest put a knife into the pan and ruined it. I am tired of buying frying pans every year; does anyone has suggestions?

I think of non-stick skillets as disposable, but I've now had my Calphalon Commercial Non-Stick 10" skillet for a couple of years and it's going to continue performing, I think, for a good long time. That being said, were I in the market for the most durable possible non-stick skillet, I would go with one of the Bourgeat models.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, as far as I'm concerned, nothing beats my trusty cast-iron. I think I got it at a flea market, already nicely seasoned by someone's grandma. Practically non-stick, easy to care for, virtually indestructible.

Fry pan, skillet, sautee pan, etc. -- there is no "best," especially if one deosn't specify how it's used. The problem with cast iron, which we use for many things, is that it's very reactive and I wouldn't want to deglaze with white wine or make many sauces in it.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I don't really think it's accurate to call cast-iron "non-stick" or "practically non-stick." It's at best "easy release," but you have to use a significant amount of fat unless you're cooking a self-basting item like bacon or a hamburger. If there's a scale of stickiness ranging from 0 to 10, with Teflon at 0 and stainless at 10, I'd put well-seasoned cast-iron at about 6 or 7.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"Lodge."

Out of curiosity, I just checked our battery of cast iron cooking utensils that date back 60 years or so, some bought, some inherited. These include a large skillet by Findlay from Carleton, Ontario, a pancake griddle by Javelin from Joliette, Quebec, a smaller skillet and an omelette pan marked Made in USA and another omelette pan with no place of origin or maker. No Lodge, unless they made a generic line. It's like discovering that none of your food machines are by Kitchenaid or Cuisinart.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Although I've used one only a few times, I find the Striam Cybernox fry pan to be pretty impressive, and my friends to whom it belongs swear by it with a few caveats. The surface is stick-resistant, not non-stick. The advantages are:

- fried food browns really well

- those tasty caramelized adherances form on the pan

- said adherances release instantly during deglazing

- sautéed thinly sliced calf's liver, which never turns out well for me in a stainless skillet (it sticks) or non-stick skillet (it doesn't brown), cooks to perfection

- the coating is tough, so you don't have to use wimpy nylon utensils and the pan can go in the dishwasher.

The main downside is that the pans don't work well for eggs and other preparations involving liquids that congeal in the pan. Also, you need to heat the pan completely before adding what you want to cook.

Other friends have an impressive skillet made by T-Fal. It looks and weighs about the same as a cast-iron skillet but has a red dot in the centre that turns bright red when optimum temperature has been reached. The coating is tough--they don't hesitate to use metal tongs to turn meat frying in it. Not having cooked eggs in it, I don't know whether it's non-stick or stick-resistant. My friends lugged it back from France last summer, but I recall their saying they've since seen it in the States. If you're interested, I'll see if I can track down the name.

It's called T-Fal "Perfection" and is $17.99 at Amazon for the 10-3/4" unit. Don't ever buy less than $25 worth of stuff at Amazon, though, because at $25 you can get free Super Saver shipping (don't forget to check the box when checking out).

I don't really think it's accurate to call cast-iron "non-stick" or "practically non-stick." It's at best "easy release

Semantics. ;)

Perhaps not, but they sure are a breeze to clean.

It's called T-Fal "Perfection" and is $17.99 at Amazon for the 10-3/4" unit. Don't ever buy less than $25 worth of stuff at Amazon, though, because at $25 you can get free Super Saver shipping (don't forget to check the box when checking out).

Close but no cigar, FG.

Turns out there are several lines of Tefal (T-Fal in North America and Japan) cookware with red spots. As the price indicates, the Perfection line is on the lower end of the North American line. See T-Fal USA Cookware.

My friends' skillet is the top of the French line. Made from cast aluminum, it is one piece (the handle is part of the skillet, not screwed on) and has something of the heft of a cast iron fry pan. Their particular model may have been discontinued, as they can't find it on the Tefal France website. The current line that appears to come closest is the Passion. Note that the description says metal spatulas can be used, which jibes with my friends' experience; one of the reviewers on the site you linked to complained that her Perfection plan had become badly scratched.

Edited by carswell (log)

So not this item either?

Nope. The first time I saw theirs, I thought they'd finally acquired a cast-iron skillet, except it had that funny red spot in the middle.

You know, I just realized that none of my French (as opposed to Canadian) French friends uses naked cast iron except for one guy who has a ridged griddle for stove-top "grilling." Le Cruset-style enameled cast iron, bien sûr. But good ol' American cast iron, pas du tout. Will have to query them as to why.

Speaking of Lodge, I am amazed at how low their prices are on Amazon, considering what you're getting. On top of that, each piece is a fairly heavy chunk of metal and with Amazon's SuperSaver shipping (with purchase of $25 or more), you save a buncha'bucks on shipping. I just sent away for their 3 quart chicken fryer (with lid) thanks to a previous thread on fried chicken and a recommendation by FatGuy (I believe).

Slowly, eGullet is draining my bank account! :shock:

Now I am off to find an eGullet thread on seasoning cast iron cookware...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver