• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Cheaper is Just Fine Part 2

skoolpsyk

Okay, I'm ignorant. What's wrong with dried mushrooms?

Not to speak for fifi but I believe what was being spoken of is buying them at Whole Foods etc rather than at Asian markets.

Many things are less expensive at ethnic markets, but I'm amazed at the range of prices for dried mushrooms at the same market in Chinatown. Clearly I'm not an expert on dried mushrooms, or I'd understand the factors driving the differences in price.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Clearly I'm not an expert on dried mushrooms, or I'd understand the factors driving the differences in price.

I'm not an expert either, but when my mom and my aunt give me expensive ones, they always tout how large they are. So, I've just assumed that the larger ones are more precious.

Clearly I'm not an expert on dried mushrooms, or I'd understand the factors driving the differences in price.

I'm not an expert either, but when my mom and my aunt give me expensive ones, they always tout how large they are. So, I've just assumed that the larger ones are more precious.

That too. Apparently size does count, but I've noted that the chrysanthemum ones (with the pretty pattern of grooves on the cap) are usually more expensive than the plain ones.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.