• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat Magazine

fresh_a

Looks like a great publication...

Anyone know about this:Eat

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Sorry. I haven't heard of the name, let alone read it.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

To Ballast-Regine: You've read it then? Seems to me that they have some interesting subject matter...Is the writing crap? Do tell...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

So you've read it then? Aside from not being impressed, was the writing good quality ? The London Times said they have some of the best food photography anywhere...

blog

I've never seen the magazine, but I just went through the limited content available on the Web site and didn't find it to be particularly interesting or well-written. Perhaps it's just not a compelling presentation online.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That seems to be the case... they look like they have some good ideas, but the website content sucks, especially the city guides...Anyway, I've ordered a couple of issues, I'll keep you all posted...

blog

Strange how the Rave Crouton link is so far superior to Eat Magazine's own website...

blog

I disagree, Eat looks far more exciting than Gastronomica, which puts me to sleep. Then again, I haven't read a single issue of Eat, yet, though I have ordered a couple copies.

blog

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my two copies from Tokyo, the "Speed" issue because of the William Gibson interview, and the other cause it's the most recent.

Will keep you all posted...

blog

I've gone through most of issues #11 and #14, and, although the magazine seems to have some promise, the level of the writing is not very impressive. They have some nice photos, and try to attack some interesting and off-the-wall subjects, however, and it's probably the only magazine of its kind in Japan, but not up to most Western standards...

blog

• 1 month later...

I've now read three issues, and am very disappointed. As Ballast-Regine said, "It's style over substance", I would counter that it is lack of style, over lack of substance.

The "Exile" issue was the worst, closely followed by the eminently crappy article by a so-called French chef in Tokyo, Philippe Batton, in the latest, issue #14.

I quote it as follows for it's pathetic laugh (or groan) factor:

"I would say that the Auberge de l'Eridan is the best restaurant and hotel in France right now. The chef is just brilliant. He creates food tasting of something you've never tasted before in your life. He does a lot of dishes with fresh herbs. This guy used to be a sheperd, so he knows all the herbs in the countryside. He has some herbs which nobody uses because nobody knows about them. You know in France we have the Michelin guide. They give three stars for the best restaurant. This place should have four stars, because I've been working in three star restaurants-very good, everything perfect - but here you have something plus. It's really amazing".

What's really amazing, though, is that anyone published this drivel!

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

...or that I gave it this much coverage!

blog

Not at all. It's from Tokyo, Japan, edited by a group of English-speaking expats, with contributors from all over.

And apparently no editor.

What made you think it was from Singapore?

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

Actually, that's the wrong page.

The correct one is : Eat JAPAN!

blog