• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any jam makers out there?

Hub-UK2

Can anyone help me to answer this question as I have never made jam:

I made some home made raspberry jam the other day (what a job that was!) and I don't know if I didn't cook it long enough or what, but it didn't thicken up enough. Is there a way to "save" this jam? Please say "yes"!

Yes!

Usual problem is not enough sugar or acid. Normal ratio is 4lbs fruit pulp to 6lbs sugar, plus the juice of a couple of lemons. Reboil with another 1lb of sugar and the juice of 2 lemons. Final temperature should be 220F-222F.

If desperate also add packet pectin or Certo liquid pectin. Tesco sell both, (near the sugar) follow the directions on the packet.

It happened from time to time when making salmonberry jam for me, but wow what a fabulous syrup for pancakes, waffles and icecream! I usually saved a little before following jackal's advice of reheating, et al. :rolleyes: So, all was not a loss!

i think raspberries are especially hard (no, STRAWBERRIES are especially hard). my ratios are somewhat different. i usually use sugar in the amount of 80% of the weight of the fruit. acidity is very important, but you'll have to figure that out. the real trick i love is cooking in repeated small batches--no more than 2 1/2 cups at a time). do it in a nonstick skillet. you can easily tell when the jam jells and it happens all at the same time, as opposed to large-batch cooking, where it seems the stuff at the bottom is overcooked before the stuff in the center and at the top has set. i've had great response from even the most frustrated home-jammers when i've written about this. give it a shot.

Guest Flyfish

Hi folks, I'm relatively new to this board, but not to making jams and preserves. When I first started, though, I used to have trouble with jams setting, because I was not letting it get to a full rolling boil. I agree with russ parsons too, that smaller batches are the way to go.

I was just given a maslin pan for my birthday and am looking forward to using it for making jams and jellies this summer.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?S...category=2,2120

(No affiliation with Lee Valley, that's just where my pan came from).

Flyfish

jam is not an easy product to prepare. your best bet is to get your hands on a jam making book - there are a few very good ones out there. not all fruits contain pectin, the necessary agent for coagulation, furthermore the right temparatures need to be adhered to. it's chemistry not cooking.

-che