• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oxford mississippi area (non square)

timothycdavis

new here so not certain of procedure but will dive right in.....

The Beacon on N. Lamar St is just off the square and was meat & three type that was pretty good & prob just what you want.

For some reason chicken tenders are considered haute cuisine in & around Oxford. One of the better places, & we laughed when they sent us there, is the "Chevron Food Mart", yes I said, Chevron Food Mart. The chicken was not bad at all & is made in a small kitchen in the back of the place. It is right off the square by a block.

Another place that was recommended to us for catfish is Wall Doxey State Park. They have a dining room & half the community shows up for the catfish dinner buffet on Friday nights. It was, surprisingly, pretty good catfish & hushpuppies. The other side items were very average.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

thanks for the suggestions...that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. and your procedure was just fine. welcome!

I gotta try the Chevron just out of curiousity. I'll report back on Sunday. :cool:

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Let's take another run at this one.

I have to go through Oxford at the end of next week and I am going to be going back in October for the SFA. I could do a little scouting for the October trip if some of you could advise a hungry traveler.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...