• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite condiment

SobaAddict70

What's your favorite condiment? For purposes of this thread, "condiment" can mean anything from jams and preserves to spices and herbs to salsas and salad dressings to gravies and sauces to nut butters and dried seaweeds to miso shiru and wasabi paste, etc.

As for me, it's a six way tie between kosher salt, cracked black pepper, fresh garlic, EVOO, Mrs. Dash and unsalted butter. :blink: Can't live without any of those. Everything else is negotiable, more or less.

What are yours?

Discuss....

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Tabasco. On just about everything...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I find that most anything is improved if I smother it with pork chops.

:laugh:

I don't know. I'm really changeable in this. Butter? Mayonaise? Gravy? Hot sauce? Salt? Pepper? Shall I stop? It all depends on what I'm eating, and that thing is my favorite. I pack away a LOT of ketchup with a burger and fries.

I find that most anything is improved if I smother it with pork chops.

:laugh:

I don't know. I'm really changeable in this. Butter? Mayonaise? Gravy? Hot sauce? Salt? Pepper? Shall I stop? It all depends on what I'm eating, and that thing is my favorite. I pack away a LOT of ketchup with a burger and fries.

Okay, but think of this: how good would that burger be if it had a fried pork chop on top of it? Super-delicious, right? See what I'm saying?

--

Soy sauce, garlic, butter, EVOO. Those are my basics. Right now, jayme's rib marinade. I've made ribs like 7 times in the past two weeks with this marinade. Some are marinading in the fridge right now.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I would have to say butter, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and mustard.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Orange Marmalade

At Christmas time, I bought some unbelievably delicious Frog Hollow Meyer Lemon Marmalade. It was fantastic on scones. I recently discovered Swanton Berry Farm low sugar strawberry jam, which is divine. Other condiments: balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, garlic, EVOO, cholula, sriracha, and pulverized chipotles in adobo sauce. I put it on so many things, from quesadillas to eggs to grilled cheese. Oh yeah, and I'm with Elyse - lots of ketchup with a burger and fries (would you like some fries with your ketchup?).

Okay, aside from the obvious garlic, kosher salt, EVOO, et al -- Blair's Death Sauce. I love it on corn on the cob, especially when the Death Sauce butter drips onto the plate and I can dip my grilled burger onto it.

As an aside, I grilled hamburgers last night and just can't get the kids (or my wife) to buy into the idea of Lottery Burgers. That's where you take a really hot sauce and mix it into one of the patties, arrange them so that even the cook doesn't know which is which and see who starts sweating & hiccuping. Dunno why they won't go for it :biggrin: .

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Okay, but think of this:  how good would that burger be if it had a fried pork chop on top of it?  Super-delicious, right?  See what I'm saying?

I make butterflied loin chop sandwiches with fresh chipotle mayo and a mixture of raw and fried onions.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Toss-up between homemade mayonnaise and really fabulous bbq sauce.

My secret shame is ranch dressing, though. :wub:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

it's all about the condiment

here are some current favorites

smoked tomato jam

persimmon hot sauce

24 hour slow roasted lemon puree

brown butter and yuzu holandaise sauce

chive blossom jelly

lovage puree

morel mushroom and foie gras fat vinaigrette

cheers

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

A few of my favorite things...

Store-bought condiments: Tabasco chipotle. Furikake (mixed in with white rice and some sesame oil, my idea of "comfort food"). Assorted vinegars, mainly rice wine or red wine. Shichimi with a bowl of hot udon noodles. Crema, or creme fraiche. Heinz ketchup.

Homemade: chimichurri, aji "hot sauce" from Peru (great with potatoes or ceviche), salsa verde.