• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online wine tasting

gsquared

I would love this. I enjoy tasting and discussing wine, but have few opportunities to do it. My memory (and/or budget) limit my ability to get some of the wines discussed here.

My format preference is for someone (C.C.?) should designate specific wines, not varietals or regions, but labels. The wines could be tasted within a limited period of time. 1 per week, might be a bit long. Maybe. People will be encouraged to provide pairing notes as well as tasting notes: what they ate with it, type of situation, etc.

I would appreciate the sensitivity to cost. (Teacher pay in Texas is #46 or 47 in nation). So under $20 would be appreciated, especially if 4 wines are done in a short period.

kcd

" Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force."--Dorothy L. Sayers.

As someone who just turned 50, I look forward to this state-of-being.

Sounds like fun. I will be on vacation till August 3rd, but after that I am in.

I can appreciate that it is easier if people only need to open one bottle per night, but I think it is more fun to compare wines side by side. To keep costs within line we could compare 3 whites or 3 reds. Keeping wines in the $10-15 range would help. I like comparing new world wines, I also like the wines of Italy, or perhaps southern France. Perhaps give people a week to taste the wines, then post the results on Tuesday (for instance).

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

This sort of thing has been happening over on the Wine Spectator forums for well over a year now. Generally, it is best to keep it REALLY SIMPLE, provide lots of ADVANCED NOTICE and give a slightly larger WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY.

Basically, keep it to one wine, over the course of a weekend, and plan it at least a month in advance (or more).

Either way, I'd be up for whatever is thrown together. Heh heh