• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you want to know how to do?

slkinsey

A simple milk gravy (the kind you make when serving fried chicken or a southern chicken fried steak). Mine end up tasting like...nothing. The one thing my mom could never do well was make a good gravy and I've seemed to have inherited it from her. :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

how about making food look good? or maybe it's just i don't have an artistic bone in my body :-)

Me too! I just wish I could improve my presentation (plating?) skills.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How to make cream sauces and soups without the stuff breaking half the time (it would be less frustrating if it either always broke or never broke).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Canning 101. All I know is you need boiling water and jars;I wouldn't know where to begin. I've never tried it. There is a certain appeal to buying a big ol' lug of tomatoes at the Farmer's Market and making some tomato sauce or tomato chutney for the winter.

Fish prep and cooking...I don't know why I'm so intimidated by this but it seems like cooking fish would be different from cooking other meat because of the texture difference and I know it doesn't take as long to cook fish...but I have no idea where to begin...and also deboning and skinning fish, deveining shrimp, the proper way to eat a whole lobster (I know this one, but others may not), techniques like broiling, grilling, pan frying fish steaks and filets, etc. Big topic, I know.

Stove-top smoking.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Perfect boiled eggs, at every stage. I know it's pretty much all in the timing, but there's technique too, right?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How to cook for one (a unique individual).

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

As I am coordinating the "techniques" section of the eGullet Culinary Institute, it struck me that many of us have a good overall understanding of cooking, but have specific kitchen conundrums we want solved, specific questions we want answered and specific techniques we want explained.

Some prospective topics might (and, in some cases, already do) include:

- making a perfect French omelette

aye

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I would love to learn how to make high end chocolates. Also, how to temper chocolate perfectly every time. Also, how do they make those candies where you have different crackly pralines in a perfect little dome over the chocolate candy?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 3 weeks later...

I was afraid that knife skills would be way too basic, but thankfully I see a couple of others are interested in it too....I'd like to particulary know what the proper way or the best way to HOLD the knife...now THAT's basic, lol! And home smoking is great too. A perfect Caesar dressing. Working with brick ovens or pizza ovens. And food presentation/timing would be great too...how do you get it ALL together at the same time and present it still at least warm? Seana

like to particulary know what the proper way or the best way to HOLD the knife...

knifeskillsimage5.jpg

knifeskillsimage6.jpg

The rest of the material is here.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM