• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you want to know how to do?

slkinsey

As I am coordinating the "techniques" section of the eGullet Culinary Institute, it struck me that many of us have a good overall understanding of cooking, but have specific kitchen conundrums we want solved, specific questions we want answered and specific techniques we want explained. So, I thought it might be useful to ask everyone to suggest specific cooking questions you would like to see explained in detail and illustrated. I would then try to match up each question with one or two people who have mastered that particular task and develop a short illustrated article explaining the technique in detail along with any tips acquired along the way.

Some prospective topics might (and, in some cases, already do) include:

- a practical guide to smoking at home

- making a perfect French omelette

- deboning poultry

- roasting a chicken so the legs are done and the breast is moist

- brining meats

- whatever... you tell me!

So, please, if there are any specific cooking questions, anything you don't quite understand, anything you wish you knew how to do better -- post the question here or shoot me a PM.

If there are any things you know how to do particularly well and which you think might be interesting to tell people about -- post the topic here or shoot me a PM.

If you see a question posted here and think you might be just the person to explain the technique -- post your willingness to write on that topic here or shoot me a PM.

This thread might also be a good place to collect short tips and rules of thumb that people find make a big difference in their cooking (e.g., "always take the time to brown meat extra-well when making a braised dish -- it gives a much deeper flavor").

Thanks, and don't be shy! :biggrin:

--

Well, the technical help I need most is good knife skills but I could also use a lesson in handling the really wet bread dough that makes such good bread. The smoking also sounds great.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

Someone needs to collect the information on brining in one place. I specifically mean concentration versus time for various pieces of meat. That stuff is scattered all over the place both here and in Cooks Illustrated. (I can't believe that those anal retentive types don't have graphs!) I know I have screwed up when first starting to brine things. Example... Brining chicken pieces overnight in the same brine I had used successfully for a whole big baking chicken or a turkey. The variables are size and density of the meat, concentration of the brine and time.

I could discuss the gumbo basics, variations, tips and techniques. I have a digital camera but don't have a clue as to how to post pictures.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm looking for help with how to roll out pie/tart dough into a circle so it's easy to fit into the pie plate/tart pan.

My dough always comes out lopsided so I have to perform surgery to get it to lay right.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

pastry making. I suck at it. I'd love to be able to make good pastry.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Great guys! Keep it coming.

Also, resist the temptation to offer solutions or explanations here. If it's something you know how to do really well, drop me a PM and maybe I can coerce you into contributing to the article.

Remember: even if you think it's dumb, if you have a question you want to ask, there are 100 other people who want to ask the same thing. So ask away!

--

Great guys!  Keep it coming.

Also, resist the temptation to offer solutions or explanations here.  If it's something you know how to do really well, drop me a PM and maybe I can coerce you into contributing to the article.

Remember: even if you think it's dumb, if you have a question you want to ask, there are 100 other people who want to ask the same thing.  So ask away!

DOH!!

pizza on a grill

how to get a good start on the basics of bread making (i'm pretty good for an amateur at everything else, but have only tried my hand at bread a couple of times)

general chicken dismemberment techniques-- deboning, skinning, cutting into portions, etc.

what tools/pots/pans/hardware do professional chefs keep at HOME that they find invaluable?

dishes that a guy could make for a woman on say a third or fourth date to get in her pants.....

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

dishes that a guy could make for a woman on say a third or fourth date to get in her pants.....

Hmmmm... I think I'd have to charge for that one. :smirk:

When you can snatch the sex-getting recipe from my hand... then you will be ready, Grasshopper.

--

Hmmmm... I think I'd have to charge for that one. :smirk:

When you can snatch the sex-getting recipe from my hand... then you will be ready, Grasshopper.

you said "snatch"..... isn't that some kind of terms of service violation?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Flat-icing

Cream soup basic techniques

Frenching a lamb rack

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

ooh, ooh! what zilla 369 said about emulsified dressings: but also, how with some sauces an "infusion" (bearnaise) makes its way into there.

also, how does one pick over chicken livers before pate, without making a scary mess? ditto sweetbreads?thanks! :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

ceasar salad dressing

You mean marieann's didn't cut it for you? :rolleyes:

I LOVE Marieann's dressing. I want to learn how to make it in the bowl, like the pro's do at restaurants. :cool:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.