• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine glasses

gsquared

What's the fear so many people have with using the dishwasher? Every restaurant does it. All you need is either a dishwasher that has large-wine-stem-appropriate racks, or this accessory. Washing these glasses by hand is a tremendous pain. The only advantage to hand-washing is that maybe, over time, the dishwasher will be more abrasive on surface of the crystal than hand-washing. But so what? Even with very expensive stems, the effect is so long-term and negligible it hardly seems worth the labor.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Washing these glasses by hand is a tremendous pain.

believe me, when you are as clumsy as i am, washing them by hand comes frought with danger. i ended up with only two riedel burgundy glasses left from a set of six.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

The dishwasher is one of the greatest milestones in human history! Not using it is just crazy!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I put all my Reidel Vinum Extreme glasses in the dishwasher. I' ve never yet had a problem

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There's no need to worry about these Spiegelau stems given that they wind up costing $3.75 each

Another Spiegalau fan here. I have a dozen of each size (I store the extras in their boxes, in the basement.) For me, they are the right price point between nice enough and cheap enough. I really like that I don't have to worry about anyone breaking a $50. glass at a dinner party. I put mine in the dishwasher, but my Bosch DW has little built-in racks to hold the stems.

I also have a set of Reidel flutes. I do admit, they do feel nicer, but for that amount of money, they should!

I guess it pays to be in the restaurant business (but not nearly enough), because I have Riedel glasses that only cost me $5 a stem. They have come out with something they call the "Restaurant" line of glasses - they are not crystal but glass, and very sturdy, and in the same shapes as the Vinum line I believe. You will never find them retail, they are sold through distributors to restaurants only. Very well-balanced and if you break one - as I did the very first day I got them home - it's not a tragedy. I use the Zinfandel/Sangiovese glass as an all-purpose glass for tasting or entertaining, but I have a few stems of the Vinum Burgundy around just in case. I am not brand loyal, but damn they look good on the table and the price is right.

• 14 years later...

The current issue of The Economist has a study of wine glass size.  With the assistance of Oxford, Cambridge, and the Royal Family, The Economist determined British wine glasses have increased in size from 1700 to the present almost exponentially:  from 66 ml to 450 ml.  This is particularly helpful when the doctor inquires how many glasses you have with dinner.

And as for here, nothing but Baccarat touches my lips.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The current issue of The Economist has a study of wine glass size.  With the assistance of Oxford, Cambridge, and the Royal Family, The Economist determined British wine glasses have increased in size from 1700 to the present almost exponentially:  from 66 ml to 450 ml.  This is particularly helpful when the doctor inquires how many glasses you have with dinner.

And as for here, nothing but Baccarat touches my lips.

Great, if you have an 18th century doctor. Mine died last week. 268 years old. Liver failure.

Joking aside, wine strength has also changed.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I now use these exclusively.  I don't want to store several different sizes and shapes and these work great for me.  I find them much more stable than stems and I like that I can buy them two at a time.

• Like 2

Oddly I found these Libby Stemless in a little tienda here.  I am very happy with them after a year of dishwashing.  My husband loads the DW and is pleased with them too.  

https://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Stemless-12-piece-Wine-Glass/dp/B00KIG3QVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515599149&sr=8-1&keywords=libby+stemless+wine

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Funny, I always feel like I'm going to spill the stemless glasses.  And I don't really like the fact that if you're drinking a properly chilled white, or a cellar temperature red, the hand warms both up.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Funny, I always feel like I'm going to spill the stemless glasses.  And I don't really like the fact that if you're drinking a properly chilled white, or a cellar temperature red, the hand warms both up.

You've gotta drink faster! :P:P

• Haha 1