• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a good restaurant for lunch,

shugga

Several friends and I will be going out for lunch soon. 2 of the people come from the Wayne area and the others are from Hackensack, New Milford area. I was wondering if anyone had any good restaurants some where in the middle area. One person doesn't eat fish or any ethnic foods except for Italian American. HELP!!!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Sanducci's in River Edge-Italian, nice pastas, ample portions, good bread, pizzas

BYOB

Tuscany in Westwood- good entrees (believe it has a bar)

Both are nice and reasonable.

Napa Valley Grill in the Garden State Plaza-a little more upscale and eclectic, but stuff that your friend could eat.

One person doesn't eat fish or any ethnic foods except for Italian American.  HELP!!!

An area just in between would be Ridgewood-- a lot of choices there, but my favorite for lunch is Joel's Malibu Kitchen. A very cute, cosy place, wonderful food personally prepared by Joel. Non-ethnic, but a lot more interesting than Italian. NY Times Review

Enjoy!!

Jeez - don't any of you people actually drive?! The route between Wayne and New Milford include Rt 23, 80 East to exit 62, GSP and Rt 4. Ridgewood, Millburn, River Edge & Westwood, are all quite out of the way, -- well River Edge is next to New Milford, but that's hardly halfway for both parties. I stand by my recommendation for Nutley. Some place in Garfield or Paterson would be half-way as well.

I missed the no fish or ethnic part of the original post, so Little Saigon wouldn't work. But as I said, above, there are lots of other places to go to. Try checking out these search results: threads with Nutley in the title.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

I have lived in Nutley for 40 years. Although some of the resturants might make for good suggestions, Nutley is definately NOT on the requested path. Nutley is off of Route 3 , between route 21 and the GSP. With the dail mess from rte 3- to rte 46 and then from rt 46 to 23, all of these should be avoided at all costs. I drive therefore, know , that Nutley is not the best bet for this itinerary. Sorry!

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Two possibilities:

La Riviera Trattoria

421 Piaget Ave (RT 46e)

Clifton NJ

Very good northrn Italian at reasonable prices.

Harolds New York Deli

10 Polito Dr.

Lynhurst NJ

Great pastrami and corn beef, huge sandwichs, "worlds largest pickle bar" :biggrin:

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Bella Napoli in Clifton on Bloomfield Ave (ok, closer for the Wayne guests). I have heard this original location has re-opened and is still good, while their larger new restaurant is not as good as this original. It's Italian-American with good food, cash only (not sure if this has change).

Edited by thereuare (log)

Jeez - don't any of you people actually drive?! The route between Wayne and New Milford include Rt 23, 80 East to exit 62, GSP and Rt 4. Ridgewood, Millburn, River Edge & Westwood, are all quite out of the way, -- well River Edge is next to New Milford, but that's hardly halfway for both parties. I stand by my recommendation for Nutley. Some place in Garfield or Paterson would be half-way as well.

I missed the no fish or ethnic part of the original post, so Little Saigon wouldn't work. But as I said, above, there are lots of other places to go to. Try checking out these search results: threads with Nutley in the title.

how is nutley on the way according to your strict rules?

it wouldn't be inconceivable to take 287 to 208 from wayne, passing through paramus and near ridgewood. or 80 to parkway north to ridgewood. it's about 20 minutes. hackensack is about 10 minutes. i don't see an issue.

however, rosie's suggestion of millburn boggles the mind. :wacko::laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

An area just in between would be Ridgewood-- a lot of choices there, but my favorite for lunch is Joel's Malibu Kitchen.  A very cute, cosy place, wonderful food personally prepared by Joel.  Non-ethnic, but a lot more interesting than Italian.  NY Times Review

Enjoy!!

Tommy:

it wouldn't be inconceivable to take 287 to 208 from wayne, passing through paramus and near ridgewood. or 80 to parkway north to ridgewood. it's about 20 minutes. hackensack is about 10 minutes. i don't see an issue.

Tommy and I actually AGREE on something? Wow!! :smile:

Edited by menton1 (log)

the gratuitous garnish on every dish seems a bit dated.

Yes, I think it's either beets or red cabbage, can't remember-- but the whole place is kind of shabby chic, a little dated, so maybe that garnish is appropriate!

Bella Napoli. I visited the original restaurant , which had re-opened, again. Food is good and exactly the same. Ambiance is gone, however, and the place seems so empty in terms of decor, waitstaff, and customers. I got the feeling that another family has taken over this original sight and had begun running the restaurant. The place does not have the same flair as the originally owned one did. Also, I still do not know why they chill the red wine . It actually arrives at your table iced cold. They did this in the old place, as well.

Food is good, though, so it is not all that bad.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

how is nutley on the way according to your strict rules?

it wouldn't be inconceivable to take 287 to 208 from wayne, passing through paramus and near ridgewood.  or 80 to parkway north to ridgewood.  it's about 20 minutes.  hackensack is about 10 minutes.  i don't see an issue.

however, rosie's suggestion of millburn boggles the mind.  :wacko:  :laugh:

It's pretty equidistant from both start points. Unlike Paramus and Ridgewood, which are relatively close to New Milford, but just as far as driving to New Milford from Wayne.

I wanted to thank you for all your suggestions. We have postponed lunch, due to a health problem I'm having at the moment. Hopefully we'll be able to go in August, when everything is cleared up.

Thanks again.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde