• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mitchell's Barbecue

Varmint

Thanks for this update, Zeb! Anyone who has achieved such sterling accolades:

he was named pitmaster at the Southern Foodways Alliance symposium at the University of Mississippi.

"When you have food critics from all over the world, and they walk and they taste, and when the dust settles they pick you, that's like winning the gold medal for me," Mitchell said.

no doubt has the ability and energy to reclaim all he had worked for .. I wish him well ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 7 months later...
I don't want to steal Ellen's thunder, as she'll be providing a comprehensive report of Mitchell's in Steven's book writing blog, but I will post a few photos as a teaser.  I can't wait to see Ellen's stuff!

The price can't be beat.  Three meats and 4 veggies for 7 bucks???  You gotta be kidding me!

i4027.jpg

And here's your meat choices:

i4028.jpg

Mr. Ed Mitchell -- Pitmaster

i4029.jpg

A contemplative Fat Guy.  When one can't decide what to eat, one orders everything on the menu -- except the rice, of course -- that darned Atkins thing, you know.

i4030.jpg

Excellent fried chicken and barbecue.

i4031.jpg

I've now been to Mitchell's twice, and I think the barbecue has great potential, but it's not quite there yet.  Mr. Mitchell is working out some of the quality control issues with his cafeteria-style serving approach, and once he does, it'll be on my "can't miss" list.  Right now, the veggies alone are worth the trip.  The mustard greens were incredible.

Hey, I am the fat contemplator!!

I just live in a "wasteland."

But the pictures are fabulous.

I had to make a reservation for four at August and only two of us are going..

Regards,

TS

"Gentlemen: Madame Dodin-Bouffant."

So, when there is the slightest doubt, Marry the Cook!

• 2 weeks later...

The sad case of Ed Mitchell has come to an end (at least for now) when he pleaded guilty to felony tax charges and will actually have to serve some time in jail. As I've said before, Ed Mitchell is a visionary restaurateur who knew how to cook a pig as good as anyone. He saw that a restaurant could cook whole hogs without the infernal heat of the pit that made this task too laborious for all but a rew remaining barbecue joints across the state. Ed was also a great marketer, but in the end, I fear he tried to do too much too soon. I wish him well and hope he's able to get back on his feet -- cooking great barbecue, of course.

Read about it in yesterday's News & Observer.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

A rap sheet is street cred in the pitmaster world. What great pitmaster isn't an ex-con, religious fanatic or both (or in the aspirational stages towards one of those goals)?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)