• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 Zagat ratings Bay Area

IrishCream

I just received an email from Opentable.com listing the 2003 Zagat ratings for Bay Area restaurants...but only the ones that participate in Opentable. I don't have the complete list because I refuse to pay for Zagat's website. Still, the list provides some clues. Zagat ratings

Makes it pretty clear that eGullet members just don't agree with Zagat ratings. If I thought the Slanted Door was the 6th best restauant in SF, I'd be pretty depressed about moving here. :unsure:

Lobster.

Small clarification: the link brings to the most popular list, not the food rating list.

A smaller clarification yet, the link brings up only those among the most popular restaurants in the Zagat survey that can be booked through OpenTable.

Most popular SF restaurants as per Zagat:

1) Boulevard

2) French Laundry

3) Gary Danko

4) Aqua

5) Chez Panisse

6) The Slanted Door

7) Chez Panisse Cafe

8) Bistro Jeanty

9) Delfina

10) Farallon

Food-wise, the top two rated restaurants are Gary Danko and French Laundry (both 29 for food), followed by Sierra Mar (in Big Sur), Masa's, the Ritz-Carlton Dining Room and Chez Panisse at the 28 level. Fifth Floor, which has gotten some good reviews on this board, is only rated as a 25 for food, though in Zagat's defence, the surveying for the 2003 guide is actually done in early to mid 2002.

Edited by Malik (log)

Small clarification: the link brings to the most popular list, not the food rating list.

A smaller clarification yet, the link brings up only those among the most popular restaurants in the Zagat survey that can be booked through OpenTable.

Most popular SF restaurants as per Zagat:

1) Boulevard

2) French Laundry

3) Gary Danko

4) Aqua

5) Chez Panisse

6) The Slanted Door

7) Chez Panisse Cafe

8) Bistro Jeanty

9) Delfina

10) Farallon

Food-wise, the top two rated restaurants are Gary Danko and French Laundry (both 29 for food), followed by Sierra Mar (in Big Sur), Masa's, the Ritz-Carlton Dining Room and Chez Panisse at the 28 level. Fifth Floor, which has gotten some good reviews on this board, is only rated as a 25 for food, though in Zagat's defence, the surveying for the 2003 guide is actually done in early to mid 2002.

There is no way in a billion years that boulevard or GD should ever be rated higher for food or anything for that matter than TFL. That is a tragedy of magnanimous proportions. I hate politics.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

There is no way in a billion years that boulevard or GD should ever be rated higher for food or anything for that matter than TFL. That is a tragedy of magnanimous proportions. I hate politics.

Not even if the category is 'shit people clicked on last year'? The Zagat most popular list is almost entirely worthless.

• 3 weeks later...

Zagat ratings are based on diners surveys. And more importantly, no one verifies that the diners actually ate at the restaurants they rate. The primary effect of this is intertia: restaurants that are rated high tend to stay rated high, often far longer than they deserve to be rated high.

Bruce