• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello All

Fulcrum_29

Hi there. Been surfing the ministry website for months now, and have found it to be a great resource, however i just now discovered there is a forum too! So i simply mut post and start hearing about all the different kinds of rum out there. I currently have only 16 different kinds in my collection right now, but am always looking for a new one to try!

My current favourites are:

Bacardi Anejo

Cabbot Tower Demerara and

Young's Old Sam Demerara.

The worst thing about this hobby (?) of rum, is that locally (British Columbia, Canada) the liquor is imported and distributed through a government body. As such, the selection of various rum is quite limited. So, i've tried pretty much everything on the local shelf. :blink:

But just an introduction, i look forward to reading the posts on here and learning more and more about rum!

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Fulcrum_29,

I now your pain, I am from Montreal and we have one of the worst rum selections in Canada. I think that BC imports the Cruzan brands. If I am correct RUN to your closest shop and do yourself a favour and pick up the Estate Diamond 5 YO. Then jump up to Single Barrel if you have the cash. I am currently in Cape Breton NS and they just enlarged their Rum selection in Noca Scotia due to the International Rum Festival. They now stock the following (most at great prices):

• Doorly's XO $44.54 CAD
  • San Miguel 5 YO $23.45 and 7 YO $26.33 CAD
  • Mount Gay XO $36.49 CAD
  • Coyopa 10 YO $68.94 CAD
  • Goslin's Balck Seal $25.09 CAD
  • Matusalem Classico DR $29.09 CAD
  • Botran Anejo $33.08 & Solera $54.25 CAD
  • Zacapa $59.22 CAD
  • El Dorado 5 YO 26.36 & 12 YO $30.85 $ 15 YO $39.59 CAD
  • Cadenhead 25 YO $117.16 CAD
  • Barbancourt 15 YO $34.90
  • The all new Appleton Reserve $27.95 CAD
  • Abuelo Reserve $27.95 CAD
  • Captain Morgan Private Stock $35.59 CAD
  • Angostura 12 YO $72.21 & 8 YO $35.65 CAD
  • Cuzan Estate Diamond 5 YO $ 25.95 & Single Barrel $49.95 CAD
  • ... and others of course

If you know someone in the Maritimes, now you have a valid excuse to cross the country rum running... and also visit of course

Cheers

Edited by Dan Smith (log)

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Dan...... that was very good of you to compile the list of Nova Scotia New listings. I was very impressed. In the next posting I will take your list and just print out (from that list ) what is available in Ontario Vintage stores (only 7 rums). I will also add what is currently available in the Premium(5 rums) and Supper Premum (4 rums) at first glance most of the NS rums (also available here) are within $2.oo fluctuating back and forth between each other. The big suprise was Angostura 1919, 8yr:is $12.30 MORE and El Dorado 15yr: is $20.01 MORE at The LCBO

I would be interested in a similar comparison with the Quebec Liquor Board. I always thought that Ontario had the worst selection.Now we have a BC EGullet member maybe Fulcrum can also compile a BC list.

By the way Dan are you down East for the Rum Festival in St Johns or was this just a holiday in Cape Breton . I had a feeling your would be going to the Rum Festival which unfortunately I will not be able to get to. this year anyway.. But I do have that NS friend that can do some shopping for me. Will get back to you with the comparison list soon.

Keep rum searching.........John Reekie.