• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do they do with the rest of the Prime beef?

Fat Guy

Okay, so USDA Prime is a designation given to an entire carcass. That means everything in there is Prime, be it the short loin or the brisket or the hanger steak. Now, we know the steakhouses and high-end gourmet retailers take most of the short loin cuts -- NY strip, filet mignon, porterhouse, and variants -- plus the rib cuts. But what about the rest of the animal? It must go somewhere. How come one almost never sees Prime brisket, shank, top butt, etc.?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Lobel's sells Prime and kobe everything, and at Fairway one occasionally sees Prime stew meat and chopped meat. That's what prompted me to ask this question, because I've never seen anybody other than Lobel's do it comprehensively, but one would think, given what a small percentage of the carcass the steakhouse cuts comprise, there would be more of the other cuts out there in Prime, rather than less.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Interesting question and one I have wondered about as well. I am particularly curious about prime brisket. Would it smoke up any differently?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Lobel's says yes: "The quality of meat is the same in every section of the animal´s carcass. A prime steer yields all prime cuts. The same is true for the choice and select grades. Prime quality beef has better flavor and texture — this includes the less expensive cuts chosen for pot roasts, stews and casseroles. Even in variety cuts such as oxtails, sweetbreads and calves´ brains, the quality of the meat affects the taste of the final dish."

can you define "prime".  that is, what does it mean in real life?  how is prime meat produced?

It's a game of odds. You select the right genetic material, you feed and care for the cattle according to various practices that are likely to produce prime carcasses, and in the end when you kill a bunch of them a percentage will be prime.

This question reminds me of a ditz in my management class at restaurant school. We were discussing menus for different types of establishments; at one point, bar food. In all seriousness, she asked, "Well, Buffalo Wings are such a popular item. But what do you do with the rest of the chicken?"

This question reminds me of a ditz in my management class at restaurant school.  We were discussing menus for different types of establishments; at one point, bar food.  In all seriousness, she asked, "Well, Buffalo Wings are such a popular item.  But what do you do with the rest of the chicken?"

One of my favorite Montreal radio announcers Peter Anthony Holder(http://www.peteranthonyholder.com/), makes this exact same comment often on his radio show.

----------

Steve