• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Into the Fire' on the Food Network

tan319

The best one yet.

Achatz and Trio, what can one say ?

Great stuff. Focus was incredible. Food looks awesome.

Chef G. is going all the way.

What an inspiration!

2317/5000

The best one yet.

Achatz and Trio, what can one say ?

Great stuff. Focus was incredible. Food looks awesome.

Chef G. is going all the way.

What an inspiration!

Absolutely...that was a terrific half hour. Thanks again Dean for the reminder. I can't believe what I would have missed. Totally inspirational. I must go to Trio.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

sorry i posted a new topic i'm still learning about egullet.

i'm really looking for a tape of the TRIO show. anyone?

i liked the 10 minutes i saw but wished for an even more detailed description of developing the actual food. how do you really make dried strawberry curls? also more about the technology. maybe some of that was in the part i missed.

nice to see the down to earth wait people coming across so nicely though

A well balanced episode, giving a good impression of the kitchen. I would have included a couple more comments from the diners themselves if I'd been the show's editor, but that's a nit.

The evolution of the frog's legs with pine needle vapor dish was interesting. That Chef Achatz worked so easily and comfortably with his team of chefs impressed me; his methods were in strong contrast with those of Mark Peel at Campanile, who seemed to be the sole creator of dishes which he then passed on to his own team. Strangely, the "let's create a new dish" sequence in the Cheesecake Factory episode had more in common with Achatz' work methods than did Peel's, as they focused on creating the best dish possible rather than what could be done with a particular ingredient on the spur the moment. The end result at the Cheesecake Factory was different from that at Trio, of course, but the spirit of collaboration was an interesting parallel.

My only criticism is that forests rarely smell of pine needles, and it was the smell of the forest that Chef Achatz was trying to evoke. Most trees in a forest are too tall, with their branches too high from the ground, for that part of the tree's aroma to make much of an impact. This knowledge comes from frequent summer camping trips with my parents; my sister and I could stand on opposite sides of a younger tree, our arms wrapped around, and we'd barely be able to touch fingers. A forest smells not so much of the needles as it does of the loam underfoot, maybe some moss, and particularly of the bark of the trees, which is reminiscent of vanilla, pepper, and cinnamon. (Trust me, that was my nose stuck in the bark as my sister and I touched fingers, so I know from first-hand and nose experience.) Of course, this combination of smells could launch a new investigation...

As for the article in the LA Times, it was quite obvious that the reviewer was working from a tape and had not seen the shows as presented on FoodTV, or he would have known that the episodes were broadcast out of order.

I'll have to catch last week's episode on Greenbriar on a re-run. My partner and I were busy celebrating his birthday the night of it's original run. Or perhaps FoodTV will take the series and release it on DVD; as a whole the series would make for interesting viewing in a classroom.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

I was happy with the show as I felt it portrayed Trio in a very true light. It is interesting for me to hear people's reactions to the show. Me being critical the food looked "ok" at best, and considering they shot in April, alot of the dishes have been replaced or improved. But overall the response has been tremendous and I appreciate all the kind words and support. And the "left handed saute pan" thing gets funnier everytime I watch it. That was 100% real by the way.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

I was happy with the show as I felt it portrayed Trio in a very true light. It is interesting for me to hear people's reactions to the show. Me being critical the food looked "ok" at best, and  considering they shot in April, alot of the dishes have been replaced or improved. But overall the response has been tremendous and I appreciate all the kind words and support. And the "left handed saute pan" thing gets funnier everytime I watch it. That was 100% real by the way.

Chefg

I can understand how hard it is to look at yourself and your food but believe us, it was all great.

You've read all this, I won't wear it out for you.

BTW, man, those interns look REALLY young. How old are those guys?

2317/5000

Me being critical the food looked "ok" at best,

Chefg,

Saw the show, the food looked great. The meetings were a nice touch, good to see a staff involved in the creative process like that. Really wished the show had touched more on the wine program, I would like to know more of your thoughts on running a wine program with the degustation format. Do you think there are ways to run a truly innovative program in keeping with the creativity coming from the kitchen. Or is that overkill?

• 2 years later...

FoodTV has been re-running these episodes. I still had the season pass on my TiVo from way back when the show first aired. Several weeks ago, they started to show up on my TiVo again. So far, they have showed the following episodes

N9NE steak house in Las Vegas

House of Blues in West Hollywood

Joe's Stone Crab in Miami

Cheesecake Factory

Greenbriar Resort in West Virginia

The Beallagio in Las Vegas (probably my favorite)

I may have not listed some episodes that have aired. I know there a a few more that should air over the next few weeks. So, if you never saw this show in the past, start watching. I liked this series. It was pretty good. Mostly entertaining as opposed to educational, but IMHO, it was good food entertainment. I think the Bellagio episode was my favorite. However, I am looking foward to the Trio episode now that I have read "Reach of a Chef" I either missed it the first time around way back or just really knew little about the restaurant back then that it's causing me to forget seeing it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"