• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salmon Tartare

Suvir Saran

Have never made it, so can't provide a recipe.

Your friend might be interested in knowing about the tasty "two-salmon" tartare served at Montreal's Le P'tit Plateau. It's made with raw and smoked salmon, both diced.

One tip I picked up from a sushi chef: freeze the fish for two or three days before using it in raw preparations. Apparently salmon, especially the farmed stuff, contains more parasites than many other fish commonly consumed raw, and freezing kills most of them.

Have never made it, so can't provide a recipe.

Your friend might be interested in knowing about the tasty "two-salmon" tartare served at Montreal's Le P'tit Plateau. It's made with raw and smoked salmon, both diced.

One tip I picked up from a sushi chef: freeze the fish for two or three days before using it in raw preparations. Apparently salmon, especially the farmed stuff, contains more parasites than many other fish commonly consumed raw, and freezing kills most of them.

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping someone here could give me a recipe to share as well.

I use a Rick Moonen recipe (formerly of Oceana, and now at rm) that is astoundingly delicious (but involved):

Rick Moonen's Salmon Tartare With Smoked Salmon and American Caviar

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/2 tablespoon each of fresh lemon and lime juice

1 tablespoon fish sauce (available in Asian or specialty food markets)

2 1/2 tablespoons diced shallot

2 1/2 tablespoons chopped capers

1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 cup vegetable oil

12 ounces raw, very fresh salmon (preferably from the belly), skinned and in large dice

3 tablespoons chopped chives

3 tablespoons chopped parsley

1 teaspoon fresh dill

4 slices smoked salmon, sliced into 1-inch wide ribbons

Paddlefish roe (or other American caviar), for garnish

White bread for toast, crust removed and sliced into 4 triangles

4 ounces pea shoots, mâche or watercress, tossed with lemon juice (1/4 lemon), 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper

Whip the egg yolk, mustard, lemon and lime juice, fish sauce, shallot, capers, Tabasco and white pepper together. Add the vegetable oil drop by drop at first, whisking the mixture vigorously until the oil begins to incorporate into the mixture. Then, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream, while constantly whisking until sauce emulsifies. Taste for seasoning, and add more citrus, fish sauce or pepper (if needed).

Spoon half of the sauce into a bowl and add the diced salmon, folding until it is well-mixed. Add enough additional sauce to just coat the salmon. Fold in the fresh herbs.

Place a ring mold of the desired portion size (you can use a tuna can with its top and bottom removed) into the center of a serving plate. Fill the mold to capacity, pat down with the base of a spoon, and then gently remove the mold. You should have a perfectly round disk of tartare to wrap with smoked salmon.

Wrap one slice of smoked salmon around the outside of the tartare, overlapping the ends to seal, and top the presentation with a dollop of caviar, shaped like a quenelle (egg-shaped). Serve with an ounce or so of the greens (present three little piles around the tartare) and 4 toast points per person.

Serves 4.

I was hoping someone here could give me a recipe to share as well.

While waiting, you could check out the following:

Cured salmon tartare with cilantro

Salmon tartare wrapped with smoked salmon

Or encourage your friend to play around a bit. For example, try marinating the salmon in gin, dicing it, mixing it with sour cream, lemon juice, diced red onion and chives.

Edited by carswell (log)

For that many people, your friend might have to cheat a bit and put the salmon through a grinder with the coarsest plate. That's a LOT of salmon to hand-chop and still keep safe. (About 19 pounds of skinned, boned fillet if using 2-ounce portions of fish; about 30# for 3-oz portions)

I don't have proportions for 150 portions, but this is the vinaigrette a chef I worked for used for tuna tartare (makes about 2/3 quart -- maybe about 35 to 40 portions, at 1 tablespoon per portion):

45g grated ginger

50g finely minced shallots

1 tsp. cayenne

105g soy sauce

95g lime juice

70g sesame oil

110g extra virgin olive oil

200g lesser olive oil.

Whisk together. For each portion, add about 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette, plus extra minced shallots, chopped cilantro leaves, slivered scallions, minced chives, and very thinly sliced fresh Thai red bird chilies. Serve with thin slices of cucumber, shredded daikon and carrots (spiral cutter), cilantro sprigs, and red tobiko.

Hey! You posted Rick Moonen's recipe too.  :angry:

:raz:

What can I say? We overlapped. Was busy tracking down recipes and composing my message while you posted. And, anyway, your version doesn't come with an annoying pop-under ad...

Will remove the link if you ask nicely.

:detestable smiley:

Here is a simple recipe. I agree with suzanne that for large amounts you may want to put at least some of it through the mincer.

Diced salmon 2/3

Brunoise lemon flesh and cucumber 1/3

Yoghurt dressing:

Yoghurt

Pastis

Lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Combine enough dressing to coat salmon lightly.

Serve as a tian, garnish with chervil and crisp bread

OR:

There is an absolutely divine and simple recipe for salmon kibbeh nayeh (raw salmon kibbeh) in Greg Malouf's book "Arabesque". I don't think I'm allowed to post an entire recipe, but you can PM me for it. This recipe has the bonus of actually putting the salmon through a mincer, so it would be easy to do it in bulk.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Oh, my! I'm honored. Except that it's not really MINE, but Gary Robins's. However, I always thought it was delicious, really excellent, so I passed it along.

Polly, I'd also be interested in the recipe you mentioned. :wub: