• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Devices and desires

fresco

I have an ice cream maker, and I love it.  Best wedding present I got (and getting presents, IMO, is the only real advantage over living in sin anyway...)

My gadget desire is to get a smoker.  Alas, it's just not feasible living in an apartment with no outdoor space...  But the day after I move into a place with a yard, I'm getting one!

The answer to your problem is creative ducting!!!! :laugh:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Oh.. I TOTALLY want a wind-up girarrosto I can fit in the oven (and hopefully in a fireplace some day).

Damn! :angry: Just when I was thinking, No, I'm satisfied with my lot . . .

Even just a decent countertop rotisserie unit would be nice. And an espresso machine that gives good head (aka, makes a decent crema ). And a fridge that my condiments won't fill immediately.

To those who want Italian ice cream machines: check Williams-Sonoma for big sales; I got mine for something like $200, down from $500 -- although that was about 5 years ago.

And, re Mandolines: Benriner beats Bron in sooo many ways, as Jinmyo pointed out. Do you really, REALLY need to make gaufrettes? (well, yeah, sometimes :sad: ) But homemade chips are still very impressive.

A food vacuum, now that's the ticket! And a kitchen blowtorch. What else do I crave?

A small greenhouse, where I can grow my own hydrophonic tomatoes in the winter, along with herbs. (OK it's a large gadget.)

I have four ice cream freezers, and I only use the White Mountain electric and Cuisinart with the freezer container. Perhaps if I get busy, sell 2 on Ebay, plus one of my two Brons, plus two of my extra food processers, plus a whole room full of extra shit, I can buy some more stuff I really need.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

In the category of reasonable desires, I would like a citrus press. My wrist is aching from all the lemons I juice. I also want to replace my fridge and stove.

But what I really want is much bigger kitchen suitable for the kosher cook. As long as I live in a NYC apartment this will never be possible.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I want a magic gadget that you put unpeeled garlc cloves in at one end and out the other comes perfect diced garlic. I don't know that that exists but I dream about it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

And a kitchen blowtorch. What else do I crave?

Sam Iam, get yourself a hardware store version, much less money and will last a lot longer... It won't be pretty, but it works better...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~