• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Devices and desires

fresco

I have a perfectly good pasta machine, bought years ago for about $30. It does a fine, if slow job of cranking out all kinds of shapes, but occasionally I find myself musing about shelling out more money for a pasta attachment for the kitchenaid, or even a stand-alone electric pasta maker. Then I think, this is nuts, wasteful and unnecessary and start thinking about something else.

What are you most frivolous, extravagant or shameful gadget longings and how often do you give in?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Rachel and I want one of those really nice mandolins, and we've been talking about buying one for years. I think once they hit under 100 bucks we will probably buy one. But every time we go to one of those fancy cooking stores and see that they are 120-150 (or more) we just sigh and say "Oh, maybe later".

Broadway Panhandler actually has this one for 99 bucks:

http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/html/mandoline2.html

They had it for like $89 during their yearly sale, but when we got there, some lady took the last one right in front of us.

I think to have to spend 100 bucks or more on a gadget you gotta use it at least once a month.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, I have a French mandoline. But I only use it for waffle cuts. The rest of the time it's the plastic Benriner.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jason, I have a French mandoline. But I only use it for waffle cuts. The rest of the time it's the plastic Benriner.

how come?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Easier to set up and handle. Changing blades, cleaning. All easier. Benriner's a damn good machine.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Arrrrr. Why did you have to mention induction woks? :angry:

I really would like to have a self contained icecream maker. Something where I can just pour in the ingredients and flip a switch.

Rachel and I want one of those really nice mandolins, and we've been talking about buying one for years.

Jason, I got a great deal on the Mafter mandoline (which I like better than the Braun anyway) out in Arizona once. If you're still wanting one the next time I'm out there, maybe I can pick one up. I think I got mine for less than 75.

--

Jin, give in to your desires! :biggrin:

Arrrrr.

Ack.

No.

No.

Too cheeeeeeeap........

Jin, give in to your desires! :biggrin:

Arrrrr.

Ack.

No.

No.

Too cheeeeeeeap........

It's not just the unit, either. Most places, you'll have to pull a new 220 VAC circuit.

Really, Jinmyo, it's too much. Forget it.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's not just the unit, either. Most places, you'll have to pull a new 220 VAC circuit.

Aren't there decent standalones that don't require 220? (It's been awhile since I researched them, but I do remember they were much easier to obtain in Canada then in the US.)

I just want a stand mixer and a "real" food processor (oh, and place to store them).

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Aren't there decent standalones that don't require 220? (It's been awhile since I researched them, but I do remember they were much easier to obtain in Canada then in the US.)

Well, I was trying to help the poor woman.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

...and there is no health in me.

I want one of those Viennese "espresso machines" that look like a baroque garden folly and, I'm sure, cost approximately as much.

White porcelain, brass fittings, garlands of pink and gold roses painted on every available surface. And, of course, about six feet long.

Cue the Lehar. Pass the schlag.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i've just been given a stand alone ice cream maker (gaggia) for my 40th birthday. ok, so its still new but what what a wonderful toy. my favourite so far is mango and vodka sorbet - the vodka seems to stop it freezing completely so you can eat it straight from the freezer. this seems to be one dream to give into. the key though is to have enough counter space to put it on so its always out. if its put away it won't be used.

i'm drooling over the new Jura coffee maker and hankered for years after a stainless steel moulis rather than those cheap tin ones that just feel so tacky. i finally bought one and it was hopeless - cost about £80!

frequently tempted by copper pans but don't fancy the cleaning and i've just received the Diva de Provence brochure to dribble over.

I really, really, really want a mandoline. The current thread on cheap stuff is making me pause but I want one that makes waffle cuts and mounds of julienne fries.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have an ice cream maker, and I love it. Best wedding present I got (and getting presents, IMO, is the only real advantage over living in sin anyway...)

My gadget desire is to get a smoker. Alas, it's just not feasible living in an apartment with no outdoor space... But the day after I move into a place with a yard, I'm getting one!