• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Coats are Better than Aprons

Fat Guy

At school, the boys stick clothespins to that piece of ass-fabric.

I think it looks kind of funny, myself, especially when a girl is running down the hall in a hurry--waddling rapidly in the big boy-tailored pants, thunking clogs, and that piece of fabric in the back, like a little tail. We look a bit like mama ducks.

I don't wear either a coat or an apron at home, unless I happen to have nice clothes on, which is almost never the case.

If I wore a coat at home, everyone would make fun of me.

A chef's apron is pretty much worthless without its coat. And I can't stand those over-the-neck aprons anymore.

No place to hang the towel. :sad:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

I know what you mean. One has to gather the fabric at the back in a rough pleat between the fingers when beginning to don apron. But my stuff is tailored. :smile:

Tailored and made by whom, Jinmyo? Or do you have your own tailor? :biggrin:

And I can't stand those over-the-neck aprons anymore.

No place to hang the towel.  :rolleyes:

Get the ones with really long ties, Nero, cross them in back, tie in front, then stick your towel through the tie.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Get the ones with really long ties, Nero, cross them in back, tie in front, then stick your towel through the tie.

I guess it's the same principle as a chef's apron, eh?

All mine have short ties. And I can't comprehend buying new ones for home. I can't even keep my school uniforms clean, and no laundry in my building.

I know what you mean. One has to gather the fabric at the back in a rough pleat between the fingers when beginning to don apron. But my stuff is tailored. :smile:

Tailored and made by whom, Jinmyo? Or do you have your own tailor? :biggrin:

Yes. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

When we first started dating my wife used to wear my old, worn out 100% cotton chef coat (chef's wear) with the cotton buttons to bed; when she unexpectedly slept over instead of the traditional 'were dating and having a sleep over' men's shirt...

She kinda, in a weird restaurant work way, looked hot!

(next topic: which is hotter the school uniform or chef’s uniform?)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I guess it's the same principle as a chef's apron, eh?

All mine have short ties. And I can't comprehend buying new ones for home. I can't even keep my school uniforms clean, and no laundry in my building.

Not only cooks wear aprons, of course. Sometimes travelers wear them. :wink:

--

When we first started dating my wife used to wear my old, worn out 100% cotton chef coat (chef's wear) with the cotton buttons to bed; when she unexpectedly slept over instead of the traditional 'were dating and having a sleep over' men's shirt...

Somewhat related though an order of magnitude less interesting: I discovered the wonders of chef's baggy pants when we got our dog. I would have to take him out to do-his-business like a hundred times a day, including many times throughout the night, for the first few months we had him. I needed a garment I could sleep in comfortably, that would also have utility on the streets of Manhattan -- I needed pockets (for keys, plastic bags, etc.) and durability. On a whim, I ordered the black ones with multicolored fish on them, because I kind of liked the aquamarine-with-fish pants they wear at Nobu. People living and working in the neighborhood started associating me with the pants. Some of them -- and I've lived on the block for 13 years -- still don't know my name, but they're totally familiar with "the guy with the fish-pants and the bulldog." Just ask Kevin Kline, Phoebe Cates, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Woody Allen, the guy who plays Paulie in the Rocky movies, all four of the stars of Sex & The City, et al., if they know Steven Shaw and they'll look at you like you have two heads; ditto if you say "fat guy"; but if you say, "You know, the guy with the fish-pants and the bulldog," their eyes will light up and they'll say, "Momo!"

And I assure you I looked and still look hot.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have a collection of five or six aprons in different colors. When I invite dinner guests into the kitchen to assist with a course, I offer them a choice of what they want to wear to coordinate with their outfit. Now I'm going to have to order a bunch of extra eG chefs jackets in various sizes and male/female cuts to keep up.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I have a collection of five or six aprons in different colors.  When I invite dinner guests into the kitchen to assist with a course, I offer them a choice of what they want to wear to coordinate with their outfit.  Now I'm going to have to order a bunch of extra eG chefs jackets in various sizes and male/female cuts to keep up.

That's very kind of you!

When I invite dinner guests into the kitchen to assist with a course, they laugh at me.

And Chef Fowke, that story makes me smile. :smile: See?

I've done that, but I have to admit the knot buttons kinda hurt! :raz: