• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Coats are Better than Aprons

Fat Guy

I always wear an apron around the house, cooking or not - shows you just how old I am! But, I've been eyeing lab coats and those green surgical shirts as alternatives - any thoughts?

I'd love to get my hands on some white cotton aprons that I can bleach but so far, the only place I have seen them is in a catalogue for professionals.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In a professional kitchen, yes: coat, waist apron, towel, and headgear. In a home-cooking situation, the coat alone tends to be quite sufficient even for heavy cooking.

An apron provides protection primarily from mess. A coat provides actual protection -- from both mess and burns -- for the entire torso.

There are very lightweight cotton-poly blend coats available for $13-$15. Just check http://www.chefwork.com -- that's where I get all my stuff.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Anna,

I don't know whether you ever venture into Fortune Housewares on Spadina below College, but they have white cotton aprons for next to nothing. It's a popular spot for George Brown College cooking students.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Would anybody be interested in buying an eGullet-logo chef's coat? We could probably arrange it with one of the uniform suppliers. If we could sell maybe a hundred of them it would be worth our while to set up an embroidered logo and deal with the administrative crap.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Would anybody be interested in buying an eGullet-logo chef's coat? We could probably arrange it with one of the uniform suppliers. If we could sell maybe a hundred of them it would be worth our while to set up an embroidered logo and deal with the administrative crap.

Perhaps available only to those who attend the eGullet Culinary Institute?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Oh, its a jacket! I was imagining something like lab coat! I've aquired a couple of these from working in kitchens and from competitons. I very rarely wear them at home, seems pretentious somehow, although they are extremely practical.

I own a couple of coats due the fact I'm an occasional volunteer in friend's restaurants. I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it outside of those situations. Although it's a pragmatic kitchen tool, I consider the coat a uniform for those in the trade and I think I would feel a little pompous sporting one around my own dinner party

By the same logic, do you avoid the use of professional-quality knives, cookware, etc.? It seems to me that the chef's coat is a tool. The part of it that makes it a uniform is the part that says "Joe's Restaurant, Executive Chef." As long as you're not parading around in a Babbo coat that says you're Mario Batali, I wouldn't worry about it.

Anna,

I don't know whether you ever venture into Fortune Housewares on Spadina below College, but they have white cotton aprons for next to nothing. It's a popular spot for George Brown College cooking students.

Get into TO maybe once a year - if I'm lucky - but will keep your post and next time I am down there I will check into it. Thanks very much.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

By the same logic, do you avoid the use of professional-quality knives, cookware, etc.? It seems to me that the chef's coat is a tool. The part of it that makes it a uniform is the part that says "Joe's Restaurant, Executive Chef." As long as you're not parading around in a Babbo coat that says you're Mario Batali, I wouldn't worry about it.

So you're saying that I shouldn't be running around in my e-Gullet chef's coat with the embroidered "Fat Guy" on it?

As long as you're not parading around in a Babbo coat that says you're Mario Batali, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oops. :sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As long as you're not parading around in a Babbo coat that says you're Mario Batali, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oops. :sad:

Jin, I think it would be kinda cool if you had a Mario coat. Now if it was a Chef/Writer Spencer coat.....

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I've got a couple of good chef's aprons, and they're fine...but they don't give any protection to my arms

Most of the chefs I work with roll their jacket sleeves up anyway. Everyone wants to look like our hero - Gordon Ramsay. The ambulance guy...

The big advantage of chefs jackets are the double breasted thing.When you get too filthy, button it up the other way...hey presto clean jacket.

Marco Pierre White once said that all his chefs wear the blue striped 'butchers' aprons because they were all commis, still learning.He also dislike chefs having they names on the jacket, dismissing it as too pretenious.I have always like my name on the jacket,along with the resturant name...shows a bit of pride in what you do.

We all wear a light blue apron, because i picked some up cheap, and blue is our colour.Apart from Dor, who wears a floral apron, a present from an egulllet member :biggrin:

The big advantage of chefs jackets are the double breasted thing.When you get too filthy, button it up the other way...hey presto clean jacket.

Now that's a neat trick. How you keep the splashes restricted the V panel between then buttons? Is it like a series of dance moves :biggrin:

The part of it that makes it a uniform is the part that says "Joe's Restaurant, Executive Chef." As long as you're not parading around in a Babbo coat that says you're Mario Batali, I wouldn't worry about it.

People buy sports teams sweaters and jerseys and caps, why not chef's coats too?

Oh, man.

Thanks Basildog!

I can't believe I've not thought of this yet.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I have a bad habit of wiping my hands on my apron.  If the apron isn't there... :blink:

...it goes right on your bare thighs. Exactly! That's what I'm sayin!

I just choked on my diet root beer. :laugh:

What brand?

sorry. thought this was the root beer thread.

Back to the topic: any women reading this: do you wear chef's coats which are tailored for women? I've tried a couple but haven't found one that fits me properly (yes, yes, I am a woman!). I like the idea of them because wearing the traditional chef's coat (tailored for men, of course) and then tieing an apron over it there is a lot of excess fabric. Does this bother anyone else?

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

V shaped?..Our jackets have parallel buttons, so you have a good 6 inches to aim for :wink:

Hm. Seems some people do not yet have a Margot Cam running continuously on their desktop. Not to name names.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I like the idea of them because wearing the traditional chef's coat (tailored for men, of course) and then tieing an apron over it there is a lot of excess fabric.  Does this bother anyone else?

You mean the excess fabric that sticks out over your butt?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Back to the topic:  any women reading this:  do you wear chef's coats which are tailored for women?  I've tried a couple but haven't found one that fits me properly (yes, yes, I am a woman!).  I like the idea of them because wearing the traditional chef's coat (tailored for men, of course) and then tieing an apron over it there is a lot of excess fabric.  Does this bother anyone else?

I know what you mean. One has to gather the fabric at the back in a rough pleat between the fingers when beginning to don apron. But my stuff is tailored. :smile: