• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Coats are Better than Aprons

Fat Guy

Why aren't chef's coats more widely available and promoted at the consumer-retail level? They're so much better than aprons. And since they're more expensive, I can't imagine why every home-store doesn't sell them.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hm. Still need an apron though.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

For the kitchen or for serving cocktails? Aprons, I mean. (Although I admit I'd look silly in one of those frilly things.)

My partner bought me a chef's coat, but I frankly find it uncomfortably heavy. Don't get me wrong, I love the pockets and the protection, but I'd rather have something with about half the weight and double the mobility.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Well, yes and no. I've got a couple of good chef's aprons, and they're fine...but they don't give any protection to my arms, and if I'm working with stuff that splatters or splashes (shades of Sweeney Todd!) that can make a difference.

A good chef's coat or tunic works as an over-coat, protecting the wearer from accidents. I just want one that is of a lighter weight than what I have.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Frilly apron? :blink:

No, I mean what you tie around your waist to protect your legs from falling grease. That you keep a towl tucked into on the side. Worn over the jacket.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Unless the laundry is washing your coats, it's a pain to keep the white ones white - now, thinner black ones would probably be great for the home...

Some chefs here are starting to wear coloured jackets and some even short sleeved (Ramsay, for example) - renegades....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Some chefs here are starting to wear coloured jackets and some even short sleeved (Ramsay, for example) - renegades....

Every time I see a picture of Gordon Ramsay, I think, "What's the ambulance driver doing there?"

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

do any of you homecooks actually wear an apron?  :unsure:

If I know I'm going to make a mess then I wear an apron (the rest of the time, I just add yet more stains to whatever shirt I'm wearing, because I always splatter).

I have a collection of aprons commerating various crawfish festivals that come in handy, they're mostly black, and look pretty good hanging in the corner.

I can't imagine maintaining a white apron.

I wear a chef's apron, with a towel tucked into the side. Not all the time, though, usually when I know I'm going to be doing marathon cooking over the course of several hours. If I'm just sauteeing a pork chop I don't bother. I cook most nights in jeans and a t-shirt.

I own a chef's jacket because I have to have one for cooking classes, but the damn thing is so hot I don't bother with it at home. Even in class I roll up the sleeves.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I never wear an apron. So after staining many t-shirts my husband suprised me and bought me a chef's jacket which I love. I find it useful when I fry as it protects my arms from the splatter - hot oil welts are not fun. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I always wear an apron whil cooking...I have some very pretty heavy weight ones with differnt patterns and such, but I prefer the thin, soft commercial white ones I have that are over 15 years old...though I recently bought an Iron chef one from FN that is a comversation starter.

K.

I find it useful when I fry as it protects my arms from the splatter - hot oil welts are not fun.  :laugh:

Bingo. That's what my mom taught me - and what the chefs at school tried to convince people who rolled their sleeves up past their elbows.

But at home, just a long sleeved t-shirt.

At school, one of my friends sold amazing customized aprons to pay his way through school - Swedish Apron Company - coming soon to a retailer near you.