• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy

chocomoo

I didn't know anything about Meltyblend.  I googled and found that they are basically the same product, both made by Meiji, except slight differences in packaging.

One source in English

and another in Japanese

Does MeltyKiss sound stupid in English?

I wouldn't say stupid, per se, but it sounds sort of silly. Meltyblend isn't really any better, except that it sounds less girly. :biggrin:

OH MY GOSH, I must have these!!  Creme brulee & some kind of baked apple??  I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for these! 

If you can find the apple ones get them! I had these a little while ago and I loved them. I normally avoid things with apple flavor because I can't stand it, but a friend gave me one of these and I ended up eating the whole pack, for some reason none of the kids liked this flavor...

Hehe, I love apple flavour! :wub: Maybe your kids didn't like that extra topping (caramel?)

Edited by chocomoo (log)

Yoo Hoo! Kristin!

Look what I found at my local Wawa (Convenience Store in the northeast)

http://i16.tinypic.com/4drkjvd.jpg

BTW Kristin, 20/20 did a story on Costco shoppers tonight. The way you and your friends buy and split everything up is the only way to save money at the Warehouse Clubs... Just thought you'd like to know...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 months later...

I bought a special flavour of the Morinaga caramels over the weekend: chestnut. The chestnut flavour is subtle, but you can taste it - the ingredients actually list chestnut paste as an ingredient. If you like chestnut flavour, I would recommend this!

Also, the wait is over! The Puccho caramel and apple flavours have finally arrived in Vancouver!! I bought both flavours right away but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I also bought a prettily-packaged small box of Morinaga "opera" chocolates on Sunday. The box had a ringed hologram pattern on it (shiiinyyyy...) and the chocolates themselves are apparently dusted with gold powder. There are 3 layers to the chocolate. All I can tell is that the bottom layer has some crunchy/flaky hazelnut bits mixed in.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, no one has mentioned the oddly named Fran PIE SNOW Sticks...

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=4699

and

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=4698

Im waiting for my BF to come over later to taste them with me...

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

went to the store and bought apple and grape hi-chu and a bag of morinaga caramels. The grape was pretty bland and the apple was better, but yogurt is my favorite flavor. my boyfriend and I ate all candies in one sitting - sugar overload

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

the newest Hi-Chu

Valencia Orange, it is quite good though I really miss my lime flavored one...

Ooooh, I just discovered that line of candies a few weekends ago. At first I thought the texture was a bit odd (like chewing gum) but then the taste won me over. My husband and I scarfed down the whole bag in no time and wanting more.

032107_candy2.jpg

Growing up in Asia gave me plenty of fond memories of Japanese candies, and to this day I love Asian candies. When I talk to other Asian friends, we all remember the same candies, like the Morinaga caramel and the Chelsea.

I just bought a few Japanese candies from eBay, because I had some money on my PayPal account after selling a couple things. Black Currant Mentos were the reason for my purchase -- my ex spent a year teaching in China and brought everyone home Pink Grapefruit Mentos, because they had amazed her with how much they tasted like actual grapefruit, and I hoped maybe other flavors of Mentos not sold in the U.S. would share that magical property.

Unfortunately they didn't. They're good, but merely good, and I've had better and truer-tasting black currant candies before.

But while I was at it, since I was paying for international shipping anyway, I bought some mini green tea Aeros (tasty) and cherry blossom Kit Kats.

Oh good Lord. The cherry blossom Kit Kats justified the cost of postage, honest to God. Now, I've never tasted cherry blossom anything before, so for all I know this is the worst of the genre, but it really blew me away.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I ordered some stuff from Jlist...

Baked Apple, and Baked Custard Pucco (YUMMY!)

Some bacon snack in a cup (Didnt try yet)

Azuki KitKat (Didnt try yet)

Cola HiChu (didnt try yet)

Calorie Mate Chocolate

and Yuzu HiChu (was good)

I was sad that I apparently didnt check my order thoroughly cause I didnt order the Sakura KitKats like I thought I did...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 month later...

The newest member in the Hi-chew family

Ume Hi-chew (a wonderful addition!)

gallery_6134_4148_240830.jpg

Last month I bought two of these bags

gallery_6134_4148_556733.jpg

with Valencia orange, pink grapefruit and Italian lime

this was probably my favorite package to date

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Newest addiction are the Calpis chews -- the ones in the blue and white packages -- look like Starbursts. Gave one of these to my husband and without knowing he said 'Gosh, these taste just like Dannon'. Too funny.

Other catch are the Lotte Relax chocolates -- 72% chocolate laced with Gaba to make you 'relax'. I think the serving size is something like 1/3 of a jar (they come in a pot as little chocolate nuggets) but I never eat that many -- just a 4-5 chunks before bed everynight (hey, I was told dark chocolate was good for you :)

Newest addiction are the Calpis chews -- the ones in the blue and white packages -- look like Starbursts.  Gave one of these to my husband and without knowing he said 'Gosh, these taste just like Dannon'.  Too funny. 

Other catch are the Lotte Relax chocolates -- 72% chocolate laced with Gaba to make you 'relax'.  I think the serving size is something like 1/3 of a jar (they come in a pot as little chocolate nuggets) but I never eat that many -- just a 4-5 chunks before bed everynight (hey, I was told dark chocolate was good for you :)

FYI- GABA is what your body releases when you use Xanax or Valium

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried the muscat Kit Kat & the McFlurry caramel macchiato Kit Kats. I thought the muscat flavour tasted pretty fake, but both my friend and my sister liked it.

The McFlurry Kit Kat just tasted of caramel.

So far, I think my favourite limited-edition flavour of Kit Kat is kinako (bought last May). That isn't saying much though, because I didn't love it & probably wouldn't buy it again. Still waiting for yuzu Kit Kat here!

For some reason, the regional flavours of Puccho are available in Canada now. Among the flavours are Hokkaido milk, Okinawa pineapple, some kind of melon, tangerine, strawberry, and grapes.

I found the Meltykiss partypack at my supermarket last week, a discovery which has done nothing for my New Year's Resolution to eat less sugar. For those keeping track, this year's flavours are plain, strawberry, and dark rum. I much preferred last year's - matcha and raspberry.

• 4 months later...

I recently tasted the newest kit kat, apple vinegar kit kat.

I was actually surprised by how much I liked it, I would have liked it more though if it wasn't white chocolate..

There is also a lemon vinegar one out there but I can only find it in the bags and haven't tried it yet.

Morinaga is currently traveling the world with their hi-chu flavors, I have had a couple packs of their blood orange flavor that I have really enjoyed. They also have a dragon fruit one that is ok. I just checked their homepage and they appear to have 2 new flavors, American cherry and kamu kamu berry. I'll have to keep an out for those.

I really wish they would bring back the lime one.... :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I had two sisters and a nephew visiting for almost 2 weeks and was able to try all the new kit kat flavors, especially the bagged ones. We tried the lemon vinegar (just okay), ramune (pretty much a unanimous yuck), rose (tasted like eating a rose bush and most of us spit it out), and green tea (wonderful as always).