• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy

chocomoo

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^ :sad: That's disappointing. Normally I find Kasugai's gummies really good & close to the real thing! My favourites are the apple and muscat flavours. I used to like milk gummy before they discontinued it...

edited to add: I just noticed it even contains yuzu peel! Doubly disappointing... it looked so promising!

Edited by chocomoo (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the yuzu gummies yesterday at the candy store and almost got them, but opted for the "green plum" (green prune) flavour instead. I just opened the package and it doesn't smell promising - smells like cherry cough medicine or those really cheap red lollipops :sad: Ok I just tried one, and it just tastes like sour cherry :sad: However, I've never tried green ume before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. They're not bad, but only if I think of them as cherry-flavoured.

I saw the yuzu gummies yesterday at the candy store and almost got them, but opted for the "green plum" (green prune) flavour instead.  I just opened the package and it doesn't smell promising - smells like cherry cough medicine or those really cheap red lollipops :sad:  Ok I just tried one, and it just tastes like sour cherry :sad:  However, I've never tried green ume before, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  They're not bad, but only if I think of them as cherry-flavoured.

You might want to pick up some umeshu (Japanese apricot liqueur) to get an idea of how green ume tastes. Tasty and addictive stuff IMO.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

sk_ward, I love those mushroom and cone shaped candies that you showed in your pic. Except I buy the mushrooms in the redbox and I believe they are chocolate/hazlenut flavor. I buy the little cones in a yummy strawberry flavor. Unfortunately, I haven't seen matcha flavor but it sounds really yummy.

I really like these chewy yogurt candies but I don't know what they are called, they come in blue packaging and are wrapped up like gum.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

^ I really like the bamboo-shaped ones, as I like the chocolate with the cookie bottom better than the mushroom biscuit. I tried this weird truffle ice cream-flavoured kind a while ago, but it didn't taste like truffles. It was...interesting...

Are the yogourt candies called Hi-Chew? I love Hi-Chew!! I just got the blueberry flavour. It actually tastes of grape, but the aftertaste is blueberry.

I bought some special "au lait" Poiful gummy jellybeans on the weekend - the flavours are peach (white), strawberry (pink), orange (light orange), and banana (light yellow). All the flavours are good, except for the banana - it tastes like banana & cheddar cheese!!! BLECH!!

yesterday I bought a green tea flavoured collon creme. It was great but tasted nothing like green tea. I also bought 'every burger" which are minature shaped hamburgers for my boyfriend, he likes them but hates the sesame seeds on top of the buns.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 1 month later...

matcha candy that is bitter matcha powder on the outside, creamy toffee on the inside: :wub:

gallery_7958_3914_69199.jpg

and just plain matcha candy: :smile:

gallery_7958_3914_58867.jpg

--can anyone tell me anything else it says on the packaging, besides "matcha candy"?

--if people are curious, these candies are 2.99$ Canadian dollars in Montreal's Chinatown.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

--can anyone tell me anything else it says on the packaging, besides "matcha candy"?

--if people are curious, these candies are 2.99$ Canadian dollars in Montreal's Chinatown.

Since you ask,

package 1: Contains catechin.

Package 2: Uses Uji macha. Uji is a city in Kyoto.

Since you ask,

thanks, Hiroyuki~!

is the kanji for "ocha/tea" the one on the lower right, i.e., the one that looks like a cross and two blobs with a roof and two birds above it?*

*most clumsily-phrased description of a kanji--ever. :blink:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Since you ask,

thanks, Hiroyuki~!

is the kanji for "ocha/tea" the one on the lower right, i.e., the one that looks like a cross and two blobs with a roof and two birds above it?*

*most clumsily-phrased description of a kanji--ever. :blink:

Oh, yes. 茶. The upper part is written irregularly as two crosses + +.

It took me one minute to understand what your question was. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
What are the current flavors of Hi Chew?

I have Mango, Green Apple and "Milk"/Yogurt...

I am glad you asked!

I haven't had time to look in the candy aisle recently, so I pulled up their website and apparently their current limited time only flavor is yuzu. I am going to have to find a pack today!

Here is the homepage, click on the red odd circle shaped thing on the bottom left to see the line-up.

The staple flavors that I can always find in the stores are: yogurt, strawberry, green apple, grape and now lemon.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I saw a flavour of Puccho (like Hi-chew except with gummy bits inside) yesterday that I hadn't seen before and had to get it - aloe. I haven't tried it yet. OH MY GOSH, I must have these!! Creme brulee & some kind of baked apple?? I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for these! Is that caramel on the top?

I bought a box of Pucca (similar name, completely different thing) at the Konbiniya as well. Would they be categorized as candy or snack? They're basically pretzels shaped like fish or octopi, filled with a sweet creamy filling. I got the New York cheesecake flavour yesterday & my sister almost finished the box on our way home from work.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

I saw a flavour of Puccho (like Hi-chew except with gummy bits inside) yesterday that I hadn't seen before and had to get it - aloe.  I haven't tried it yet.  OH MY GOSH, I must have these!!  Creme brulee & some kind of baked apple??  I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for these!  Is that caramel on the top?

I bought a box of Pucca (similar name, completely different thing) at the Konbiniya as well.  Would they be categorized as candy or snack?  They're basically pretzels shaped like fish or octopi, filled with a sweet creamy filling.  I got the New York cheesecake flavour yesterday & my sister almost finished the box on our way home from work.

Apple/cinnamon

and

Custard cream

As for your second question, I would call them snacks.

I think the English word "candy" has a broader meaning than the loan word in Japanese and the Japanese word "ame" (飴). For instance, we don't call chocolates or caramels "candies" or "ame". In Japanese, candies and ame are sweets made almost entirely of sugar.

^ Yeah, I'd think of them as snacks too. I guess they're in the same category as Pocky, which I wouldn't classify as candy either.

Forgot to mention that I bought Meltyblend caramel flavour. It actually says "milk" in English but has a picture of a caramel on it. The caramel flavour comes through quite nicely.

By the way, what is the difference between Meltykiss & Meltyblend?

^ Yeah, I'd think of them as snacks too.  I guess they're in the same category as Pocky, which I wouldn't classify as candy either.

Forgot to mention that I bought Meltyblend caramel flavour.  It actually says "milk" in English but has a picture of a caramel on it.  The caramel flavour comes through quite nicely.

By the way, what is the difference between Meltykiss & Meltyblend?

I didn't know anything about Meltyblend. I googled and found that they are basically the same product, both made by Meiji, except slight differences in packaging.

One source in English

and another in Japanese

Does MeltyKiss sound stupid in English?

OH MY GOSH, I must have these!!  Creme brulee & some kind of baked apple??  I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for these! 

If you can find the apple ones get them! I had these a little while ago and I loved them. I normally avoid things with apple flavor because I can't stand it, but a friend gave me one of these and I ended up eating the whole pack, for some reason none of the kids liked this flavor...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"