• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noodlin'

I'd read something about this place, but got an email from the pr flack today with directions to the noodlin' web site. The email states:

From a business perspective, this latest concept reflects the Holland Inc.'s success and dedication to bringing the area the best, most unique, and fresh concepts in fast and casual dining.

(You'd think one of the first things they'd teach in pr school is that unique cannot be modified.)

The Holland Inc is the corporate soul of Burgerville USA, recently touted as Portland's own In-n-Out by Jane and Michael Stern as noted here. I have to confess that I never eat at Burgerville, but the Stern's article and my own editor's love of the place may force me to check it out.

The first restaurant is in the Beaverton Mall, and you can assume the folks in the dead zone that is our western 'burb will love it (It's so darned cute). A second store is planned for SE Hawthorne, slacker central and site of a recent failed attempt by McD's to place an outlet. The reception might not be so warm, but who knows. As the flack writes:

The community truly loves noodlin'.

I do like the macaroni people on the web site, though.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

The first restaurant is in the Beaverton Mall, and you can assume the folks in the dead zone that is our western 'burb will love it (It's so darned cute).

I live rather uncomfortably close to this place, and saw the construction taking place, but had no idea it was open yet. Even though I live in a boring western 'burb (ahem, "dead zone" might be a bit harsh :smile: ), I have no particular desire to patronize this establishment. I could probably make most of that stuff at home if I wanted to, and if I have any desire for noodles, it's in beef broth with beef, bean sprouts, basil, etc.

I'll give them credit for interesting marketing, and it's a nice scam when you can charge $4 for a plate of noodles, butter, parmesan (probably not p. reg.), and garlic. The food cost for that must be almost 40 cents. :blink:

It's interesting to see that the same company also owns the Beach Shack restaurant, which is located at the same mall. Never been to it, but there's a billboard advertising it, and I think that "fun" gets higher billing than "food" in the text - this doesn't sound good.

Burgerville is worth a try - definitely a cut above the McBurgerKingWendys stuff.

Edit: remove redundant redundancy and spurious line break.

Edited by Human Bean (log)

I thought the restaurant name was bad until I read "here-baked bread." Lord.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I love Burgerville. They use real cheese. The Walla Walla onion rings are overrated though. I've been reading about the Noodle thing, but it certainly doesn't seem worth a trip to Beaverton. Maybe I'll catch the Hawthorne version some time. The menu sounds like they used the same writer as Red Robin.

I love Burgerville but hate the fact that they don't keep the BBQ bacon cheeseburgers on the menu. Why do they always get rid of things that everybody I know loves?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

From a business perspective, this latest concept [...]

I know this is marketeer-jargon, but somehow I find the idea of a restaurant (chain) as a "concept" is vaguely disquieting, in a way that I cannot quite explain. Something like restaurant as theme park; Chuck E Cheese definitely qualifies in the theme park category. Jim Dixon appears to feel the same way, judging from the thread subtitle.

The first restaurant is in the Beaverton Mall

This might inadvertently give the impression that it's a 'food court' thing. Not so, Noodlin' [okay, this is a really dumb name, but what do I know?] and it's sister restaurant Beach Shack are in their own buildings, close to the street, in what used to be parking lot. Furthermore, Beaverton Mall is in the process of renaming (er, re-branding?) itself as Beaverton Crossing or somesuch; I guess the idea of a 'mall' is tacky and so-twentieth-century, or something.

A second store is planned for SE Hawthorne, slacker central and site of a recent failed attempt by McD's to place an outlet.

To give the, um, slackers some credit (and clarify), it was those slackers' vehement opposition to having a McD in their neighborhood that killed the proposed 'restaurant', not a failure of the McD drive to continued world domination. Yay, slackers!

The community truly loves noodlin'.

[i can't seem to find an appropriate emoticon for 'retch'.] That remains to be seen; I expect they'll be successful, at least in the 'burbs. "Here-baked breads" is also heinous (MsRamsey, spot-on), but is probably just in keeping with the declining trend in US literacy... Maybe I could quickly trademark this nonsense verbiage (if that wasn't their own plan all along), and sue them for infringement...

I've been noodling in my noggin about this conception and I think it is perhaps more good than bad. Not that it's a place I'm likely to ever sample, even though I do find myself in Beaverton on occassion. BUT, most of the world are not eGulleteers, and for those majority of folks who think a mass-made-and-hung-up-to-dry pseudo-beef-patty on a sponge of white fluff is good eats, the fact that by visiting this concept they might get exposed to something called "curry" or "yaki soba" or anything "cubano" might open their eyes (and palates) to tastes a tad more "advanced".

It's like Todai in Portland. A whole bunch of cheap (and cheaply made) sushi-like foods that can't come close to a good Japanese restaurant . . . but it is generally packed with people who (mostly attracted by the all-you-can-eat dangle) probably wouldn't otherwise sample sushi. It is my fond hope that Noodlin (like merlot?) can be an introduction that allows people to expand their food horizons. Dare I hope?

And I totally agree on making it at home! The nearest "fine dining" establishment to my home touts their $14.95 over-cooked, over-sauced, so-called pasta (with exotic ingredients such as "peas" and "bacon"). I can make it so much better for so much less, and in about the time it takes to get to the restaurant. Same with Noodlin!

Jesus...the end is near.  Todai is absoutely horrible.

Esp the desserts. I did like the bottles of citrus and regular ponzu on the tables since most people have never tried them. But overall they were really disappointing. Especially for the price.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out tonight from the counter person at D'sh D'l'i'sh that Kathy Casey was instrumental in forming the concept and menu of Noodlin'. Why am I not surprised.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

BLAH- "noodlin' "- PLEEEZE! Concept?- even the name is bad!!

Lets see? Take the most inexpensive item there is- in terms of food cost- and have it in every item on the menu.

I say nay to noodlin'. The only strictly noodle joints that should exist are asian in nature (pho- MMMMM).

Dr. Atkins is rolling over in his grave!