• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need 1949 RUM

jrcoewr

Hi Everyone

So glad I found this site maybe someone can help me.

I am looking for a bottle of 1949 RUM,

My dad needs it for his birthday cocktail, each year he mixes 4 different rums on his birthday - one from each year his kids were born. The only year he doesn't have, and would like is his own year 1949.

Any suggetions

?????

Thats going to be next to impossible or very, very expensive to get.

I'm going to guess maybe ebay. A serious rum shop in the Caribbean MIGHT know where to get one. Like the Old Liquor Store on St. Maarten. But a bottle like that is going to go for a few hundred dollars, maybe more, if you can find one at all.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks Jason

I actually have someone going to the caribean next month they will be in st maarten and martinique. I thought there might be a possibility they would find something there.

Can do 1929 Bally and 1939 Lamb's but not 1949!!

Even in the Carib I think that you won't find it too easy to find a 1949.

Having said that I think that some of the flagons of Royal Navy rum were distilled in 1949. I will check this out and see if they have an age statement on the bottle.

A search on Google for "1949 Vintage Rum" yields this:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=17&t=16603&

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Also, what's the deal with vintage-dated rum? Once rum is bottled, it's essentially frozen in time, right? So a rum bottled in, say, 1970 is going to taste exactly the same today as it did the day it was bottled, is that correct? So is the vintage-dating somehow related to the quality of the sugar-cane harvest in a given year? Or does it indicate a unique set of distilling variables associated with a given year? Or what?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Also, what's the deal with vintage-dated rum? Once rum is bottled, it's essentially frozen in time, right? So a rum bottled in, say, 1970 is going to taste exactly the same today as it did the day it was bottled, is that correct? So is the vintage-dating somehow related to the quality of the sugar-cane harvest in a given year? Or does it indicate a unique set of distilling variables associated with a given year? Or what?

Well, it could still be a 1949 rum but then bottled at a later date. Generally speaking though, vintage rums are not aged a very long time, up to six years usually.

However I own a few french rums dated 1977 and 1984 from Martinique that are labelled "Tres Vieux" and "Milliseme" which are aged considerably longer.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason,

I think that Tres Vieux has to be only 5 years of age and Hors d'age 7 years. I always think that they are a little misleading in the way that they imply an age of 20-30 years. But as you say most rums are under 10 years old. I think that one of the reasons is that the angels share is so high (compared to about 1% pa for scotch)

Bristol Spirits rums range from a 10yo up to a 25yo.

At my last job, I bottled a 28yo Demerara which in all honesty wasn't that good as it had picked up all the bad points from the cask.

As for Fat Guy's question about aging in the bottle, he is right that it won't improve. Apparently the only spirit that will improve in the bottle is Chartreuse but not haviong drunk enough of it I am unable to comment. With regards to the vintage statement rather than an age statement, I am sure that some of this is down to marketing. I have a client who is only interested in vintage rums as his perception is that they are of better quality.

jrcoewr..... we have not found your fathers 1949 Rum as yet ......I am going to pose a couple of questions that might trigger some ones mind....... First you did not specify if the rum you were searching for was to be- ' Distilled in 1949' or if it could be- ' Bottled in 1949' this could make a difference in your search......Second what country are you in this could make a big difference as to availability and or people being able to order or supply you the rum when found,

I would like to ask 'CTGM' in England about the Lambs Special Reserve Rum Limited Edition, that he aquired for clients of his, Was this not distilled in Jamaica in 9/9/49 or was it 1939. and only recently been bottled. We also had a forum member buy a bottle of this rum a year ago who lives in Seattle. if he is still in touch maybe he could inform us with the dates involved. I believe while in England that he ordered it through Cadenheads in London.

This rum had missed the Blitz in London when Lambs and others lost most of their stock in the bombing of the bonded warehouses along the Thames. Fortunately Lambs had large facilities in Dunbarton in Scotland, safe from German bombing, where this rum rested for over forty years in huge oak casks before it was bottled in the 1980/1990s. I have not read the booklet but would like some one to print it out for us.

CTGM..... has contacts with Lambs in England and could read the lables or the booklet that comes with this rum. ( rum.cz has a photo of the lambs Limited edition bottle and box., but is to small to read the dates. But my memory has it that the photo showed two dates 1939 and 1949. I have not been able to find a Lambs web site that has readable photographs of this rum).

JRCOEWR keep looking for your Fathers Birthday Rum......JR......John Reekie.

Hi guys,

Enoteca Costantini's Jamaica Rum Sugar Estates 1949 isn't a 1949 rum at all!

It's a pale, young and zippy pot-stilled agricol, the label displays a map of Jamaica plantations and premises as in the year 1949 ( don't know why such a label though... ) . Try with Silvano Samaroli's Demeraras, one of few that could have bottled a '49.

Good forum.

Alberto