• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comprehenisve glassware catalog?

cdh

Hi all...

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a source stocking a wide array of glassware. I've noticed that my preferred style of cocktail glass has fallen out of fashion with the big Pottery Barn/Crate and Barrel buyers and I hope that there is a source of a wider selection of styles of glassware out there.

A google and froogle search hasn't turned up anything online, but glassware is sufficiently difficult to accurately verbally describe in a standardized way that the failure is not surprising.

So, I'm turning to the collective wisdom of those assembled here for any pointers...

For what its worth, what I'm looking for is a glass with a conical bowl, without a tall thin stem, but rather a short, thick piece of glass (mine are like stretched spheres) that connects to the base. These glasses are shorter, and more stable than ordinary cocktail glasses, and I like them for that. Drinking out of an 8 inch tall cocktail glass is always a sure recipe for spilled drink, I find.

I'll post pictures if/when I get around to getting a picture into work where I have a speedy net connection.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I have 3 dozen of those glasses from the '30s. But you're not getting them! :raz:

On a different note, you should be able to find this type of info in an "antique buyer's guide." There should be dozens of such books out there.

Edit: An Amazon search in "Books" for "antique glassware" returned 515 results.

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Have not tried hunting in antique shops, largely b/c I believe somebody out there has been making them recently... and keeping manufacturers in business is a good thing...

The ones I have got are Pottery Barn vintage 1997 or so, so they were being made 6 years ago...

The best tool I know of for conducting this kind of search is Bizrate at Lycos:

http://bizrate.lycos.com/

For barware specifically:

http://bizrate.lycos.com/buy/products__cat...--13040301.html

In terms of what you're talking about, can we improve the description somewhat? When you say conical, are you talking about martini- or margarita-glass shape -- more than 45% angle -- or are you talking about a narrower goblet-type shape? Are you looking for something totally clear and unadorned or are you looking for something sculptural? And do you want a glass that looks pretty much like crystal barware or do you want somthing chunkier?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Matthew-

thinking of the book and antique route, do you know if the book writers have standardized on a nomenclature for such glasswares?  Is there a in-the-trade shorthand for the stubby cocktail glasses?

I'm wondering the exact same thing! :biggrin:

Matthew again- Do please snap a picture of yours and upload it, and I'll let you know if we're thinking the same thing.

FG- I'll give the bizrate site a try, but have had no luck with the google, froogle, and yahoo shopping routes... may be a nomenclature issue.

As to the greater specificity-- conical bowl, 45-50 degree incline. color and adornments secondary to shape, though the one remaining example I have is an amber glass with the stretched sphere section treated such that it appears iridescent.

Edited by cdh (log)

Nope... nothing at momastore nor C&B is exactly what I'm looking for. (but I don't know exactly what you're talking about since the image links above aren't working for me now.)

The glasses I seek have a real base like the tall stemmed ones... just not the tall stems...

I use the terms "cocktail glass" and "martini glass" interchangably... interesting that you make a distinction... I would say that I have 5oz cocktail glasses and 8 oz cocktail glasses...

I'm a tad weird. :hmmm:

So, you're looking for a short thick stem that has a ball between the stem & where the drink is held?

Chris:

Have you tried Replacements, Ltd. I've sent them a picture of pieces and they have researched a pattern name and occasionally the manufacturer with some flea market/antique show finds I've brought home. They are very pleasant to deal with, while some of their prices can still choke me.... but that's with my china service pieces, etc. and the stuff is plain expensive to begin with!

I often check eBay too, but that's really tiring sometimes.