• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waffles!

Ellen Shapiro

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

....Norwegian waffles are not intended to be crispy (Nilsson calls for five eggs) and indeed these waffles were not.  And I found them too sweet for my taste.

The problem now is I have three and a half cups of waffle batter left.  Wish I had made half a recipe.  What to do?  Probably pancakes.  Suggestions welcome.

Try this yeasted recipe that I love because I can mix it the night before and bake waffles next morning while still half asleep.    -> Ethereally light and super crispy waffles.   Same problem as you is more batter than waffles for just a few people    Batter seems to keep well for a couple of days in the fridge, if you're inclined to want two waffle feasts in one week.

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Try this yeasted recipe that I love because I can mix it the night before and bake waffles next morning while still half asleep.    -> Ethereally light and super crispy waffles.   Same problem as you is more batter than waffles for just a few people    Batter seems to keep well for a couple of days in the fridge, if you're inclined to want two waffle feasts in one week.

As you may read earlier in the thread I am fond of the Marion Cunningham recipe.  The exercise was to test out the new blender.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As you may read earlier in the thread I am fond of the Marion Cunningham recipe.  The exercise was to test out the new blender.

So use it here.    eta I use my beloved Bamix immersion blender.    YMMV.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

• 1 year later...

I hadn't had waffles for over a year.  Today, snowed in, I went back to Joy of Cooking sour cream waffles, which had been my go to waffle recipe for decades.  Threw everything in the Blendtec and pushed the batter button.

Waffles just the way I like them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I don't see sour cream waffles in my 1997 version of Joy. I'd be interested in the recipe if you can post a link.

My version of it is:

King Arthur AP organic flour 120g (note original recipe calls for 1 cup cake flour)

thick sour cream 2 cups

eggs 3

Rumford baking powder 1 1/4 teaspoons

baking soda 1 teaspoon

sugar 1 teaspoon

salt 1/8 teaspoon

I ignore the Joy procedure and process everything in the Blendtec.  The batter is quite thick.  I cook the waffles 4 minutes in my De'Longhi iron.  They are just crisp on the outside and release easily.  These waffles are stick to the ribs, not ethereal.  I think they are delicious.  If you prefer a cakey waffle or a light waffle, choose a different recipe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend.

I'm feeling like another batch.  Did you have a chance to try the sour cream recipe?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

No, but thanks for reminding me. Waffles and bacon--the best. Sunday's coming up, so I think I'll make these. 

Today was the day for me.  Waffles and sausage, in my case.  Now I want not to see another waffle for a year.  There is half a batch of batter left in the refrigerator.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Today was the day for me.  Waffles and sausage, in my case.  Now I want not to see another waffle for a year.  There is half a batch of batter left in the refrigerator.

I suppose they could be pancakes...I always make all the waffles. I eat the last one, freeze the rest and enjoy resurrecting them into sandwiches or just themselves with different toppings. Do report back on your preferences. 

Edited to add that I guess a year is a long time to wait!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I suppose they could be pancakes...I always make all the waffles. I eat the last one, freeze the rest and enjoy resurrecting them into sandwiches or just themselves with different toppings. Do report back on your preferences. 

Edited to add that I guess a year is a long time to wait!

I'm thinking I might try pancakes with the remainder of the batter.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I just read through this topic and now have some wonderful ideas for waffle-making using my new waffle iron.  I found all the info very useful, so thanks to  everyone who contributed to this topic.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just read through this topic and now have some wonderful ideas for waffle-making using my new waffle iron.  I found all the info very useful, so thanks to  everyone who contributed to this topic.

I just re-read it also and would really like some waffles now!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I just re-read it also and would really like some waffles now!

Yes! Chris's Lemon Blueberry corn-meal waffles look ridiculously good. Now I need a waffle-maker...

• Like 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

32 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I'll be making them for sure.  The sound delicious.

I've discovered that almost anything that is a batter works as a waffle.  I do cornbread waffles and all kinds of muffin waffles.  But my favorite is making waffles our of leftover stuffing and topping with gravy!  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

• 1 month later...

I've already posted these over in the breakfast thread but thought I'd add them here as well in case anyone is looking for a savory waffle.  The NYT cooking section featured a few waffle recipes recently.  I made these Toasted Sesame Scallion Waffles and have enjoyed using the leftovers, re-heated from frozen, to make breakfast sandwiches.  I will make these again. 

The other two recipes in the feature are on the sweeter side, Buckwheat Blueberry Waffles and Chocolate Waffles. Commenters described the chocolate waffles as being cake-like so they might be fun in a dessert. 

Here's the Toasted Sesame Scallion Waffle, topped with a fried egg:

2369C9ED-B90C-4CAD-B06D-C88FDA73F5EC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6cb47e6ae504728f8d2d4a5433dff84b.jpeg

And the sandwiches, this one with egg, country ham and pepper jack:

2A6A74EA-47B5-4BFA-9C67-F05DD78CE5DF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.52a675b4e7c43596de5c19dc3d75e778.jpeg

and another with egg, sautéed greens, sharp cheddar and sriracha

C85A4319-904B-47B4-B6BE-48CA85E1C45E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.46d1df9d0699a96e1e8bb23df1464c29.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2