• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waffles!

Ellen Shapiro

14 minutes ago, winedoc said:

I second the idea that it's worthwhile to whip the egg whites before folding them into the batter. I'm out of cooking commission since I had surgery recently, so my boyfriend made me waffles from scratch and took the time to whip and fold in the whites instead of putting the whole egg in, and the rise was amazing! Super fluffy waffles. We used a ceramic waffle iron, which doesn't stick at all. He made a berry sauce by simmering a cup of frozen blackberries and sweet black cherries with a splash of water and teaspoon of coconut sugar until the berries began to break. Then mixed a tablespoon of water and teaspoon of arrowroot starch and added it to the simmering sauce to thicken. A delicious maple syrup alternative.

waffles.jpg

Sounds like a fine boyfriend. I believe I'd keep him.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, winedoc said:

I second the idea that it's worthwhile to whip the egg whites before folding them into the batter. I'm out of cooking commission since I had surgery recently, so my boyfriend made me waffles from scratch and took the time to whip and fold in the whites instead of putting the whole egg in, and the rise was amazing! Super fluffy waffles. 

I do that, too. Also if the recipe calls for sugar, I put at least half of it into the egg whites to make the foam more durable. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 months later...

New toy! Waffle cup maker.  And it's only $20. at Amazon.

HPIM0262.thumb.jpg.ed3df5075518d402f55fb242ca3fd7da.jpg

Why didn't someone invent this years ago? I can't tell you how many times I worked so hard to make waffle cups when I was catering.
Good for both sweet, fruity fillings, custard, etc. And SAVORY filling. I filled the ones I made with creamy dishes with chicken, turkey, smoked salmon, beef, lamb and ? thick stews.  And for every 4 that turned out right, one would be a dud.

It took me one try to get the amount correct.  On the right is my first attempt.  And while the instructions say don't use spray - I used olive oil spray - worked perfect.  Spritzed before first waffle - baked 4 then spritzed again for number 5.  

HPIM0260.thumb.jpg.b833bc73b50142f197fb5fa37b8fd09c.jpg

HPIM0261.thumb.jpg.141533351ee61ed0d37e4cae56377693.jpg

Yesterday it was strawberries topped with sweetened sour cream (homemade) which, in my opinion, is far better on summer fruits than whipped cream.
Sorry the first photo is a bit out of focus. I already began eating before I noticed - too late.

HPIM0259.thumb.jpg.264368df6315535afb91b30b5e7f856c.jpg

To illustrate how much the waffle cups hold, I resorted to my old test for portion control from my catering days. First is the waffle cup with 1/2 cup of white short-grain rice.

595aa19d561ac_12cupfilling.thumb.jpg.c3b318abda03555fbc8812c64bfd004e.jpg

And next the waffle cup with 3/4 cup rice. As you can see, if you have something like strawberries or other fruits this should hold a cup, rounded up in the middle without spilling over. Or 3/4 cup with room for a topping.

595aa1ac39180_34cupfilling.thumb.jpg.ec9b99422aab225121d4fb1905848ae5.jpg

Update. I saved some batter overnight in fridge, it thickened so I added a bit more water. Just enough for one waffle. Here it is with a ripe peach cut up and dressed with the sweetened sour cream (homemade).

peach.thumb.jpg.b4ca1f34efcf915ec9615a7aadc999a2.jpg

• Like 12

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 months later...

Hadn't made waffles here for many a long year.  But since now I can...last night I mixed up a batch, technically half a batch, of Marion Cunningham's ubiquitous yeast raised waffles, this version from The Cake Bible p105*.  From perusing this thread it seems most folks retard Marion's batter overnight in the refrigerator.  In contrast Beranbaum instructs:  "Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature."  Is there any point to refrigeration?

Note I did make a change to Beranbaum's recipe beyond cutting quantities in half.  I used instant yeast and substituted additional whole milk for the water.

Here is the result:

Waffle11122017.png

First waffle from first batch of new recipe on a new, untested machine.  No oil or butter necessary.

My standard waffle recipe of longstanding has been the sour cream waffle recipe from Joy of Cooking.  Both have nice flavor.  The yeast raised waffle is easier.  One bowl!  And has better texture.  Of course the yeast raised recipe requires more elapsed time, yet far less preparation time.

Anyhow, every waffle was picture worthy.  I lost count of how many waffles I actually ate, but I listened to the Hammer Klavier sonata three times.

*credit to Eat Your Books.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hadn't made waffles here for many a long year.  But since now I can...last night I mixed up a batch, technically half a batch, of Marion Cunningham's ubiquitous yeast raised waffles, this version from The Cake Bible p105*.  From perusing this thread it seems most folks retard Marion's batter overnight in the refrigerator.  In contrast Beranbaum instructs:  "Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature."  Is there any point to refrigeration?

Note I did make a change to Beranbaum's recipe beyond cutting quantities in half.  I used instant yeast and substituted additional whole milk for the water.

I, too, refrigerate my batter overnight. Because it goes in the fridge, I mix the eggs in with everything else. And I omit that quarter-teaspoon of baking soda. I also usually cut the amount of butter in half, and still find them plenty buttery (and non-stick). I like to mix my batter in a bowl, and then pour it into a lidded pitcher that has a small footprint, and thus doesn't need as much refrigerator space. As a bonus, in the morning, I can just give it a good shake to mix it all back together.

One thing I haven't tried yet is making waffles over several days, leaving the remainder of the batter in the refrigerator until I'm ready for it.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

16 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I also usually cut the amount of butter in half, and still find them plenty buttery (and non-stick). 

I go the opposite way and bump up the butter in most recipes, finding it improves the texture. :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I made another batch of yeast raised batter, but this time charged it in the iSi.  Even better results and much easier to dispense.  The cooking time had to be reduced to four minutes.

Served with breakfast sausage.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Another yeast-raised waffle here.  Brown Sugar Kitchen’s Cornmeal Waffles are basically the same as the classic Marion Cunningham/Fanny Farmer recipe but with the addition of cornmeal.

IMG_1165.thumb.jpg.23c23806da1558abe070446e9bac060f.jpg

Served with fresh peaches, whipped cream and a little maple syrup.  Deliciously crispy.  

I made a half recipe which yielded ten 6.5 inch round waffles. I usually use 1/2 cup of batter/waffle but these bubbled up all over the place so much that I needed to scale back to ~ 1/3 cup each.

• Like 7

I made sourdough waffles. Followed a recipe I found via a google search that had really good ratings. They tasted fine but didn't hold their structure well. They came out nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside but within not much time at all they deflated and softened almost into pancakes. They were definitely cooked through, that wasn't the issue, some bordered on overcooked. Not sure what happened. Anyway, they had a nice flavor they just weren't worth a picture.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:18 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Spaghetti waffle per this recipe: Waffled Spaghetti Pie with Pecorino and Black Pepper

IMG_3023.thumb.jpeg.6adc13bfc660335d6cb0df7f5ba99936.jpeg

IMG_3024.thumb.jpeg.c71c4aa90bc62acdb0fd905c5f2b67cd.jpeg

Not bad!

The cheese doesn't stick and make a mess?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, curls said:

A friend of mine who knows that I like báhn xèo told me that his family tried a new recipe this weekend and made báhn xèo waffles. I’m planning to make these soon. Anyone else want to try them? Link to recipe/video https://youtu.be/Gs6skNyIABE

I've bookmarked this video -  báhn xèo is a favorite of ours.  I also bookmarked the website that the video references.  Lots of good looking stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've bookmarked this video -  báhn xèo is a favorite of ours.  I also bookmarked the website that the video references.  Lots of good looking stuff. 

Indeed! I started looking at that website too and it includes some good looking recipes. I’ve been missing Vietnamese food since Covid-19 and will have to start trying to make it myself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Waffles today.  My excuse is I wanted to try out my new blender.  Since the blender was new, I searched around for a new waffle recipe.  I came upon this blog with a Norwegian blender recipe:

http://apple-of-my-eye.com/2015/11/06/norwegian-blender-waffles/

(Though the author has a disclaimer about her mother being a Japanese with a thing for tall blonds.)

I eventually settled on a similar though more precise recipe from Magnus Nilsson's The Nordic Baking Book (p234).  Not following the mixing instructions I loaded the blender and pushed the batter button.  In about 34 seconds I had waffle batter.  Norwegian waffles are not intended to be crispy (Nilsson calls for five eggs) and indeed these waffles were not.  And I found them too sweet for my taste.  Still, they were waffles with very little effort.

The problem now is I have three and a half cups of waffle batter left.  Wish I had made half a recipe.  What to do?  Probably pancakes.  Suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

Couldn't get the web link to load...

Thought of waffle cones for ice cream.

Or dice up the waffles and make sweet croutons for a sweet potato mash (so you won't have to make the mash too sweet since the croutons will be sweet).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Anyone tried a silicone mold in the oven to make waffles? Is it good as the iron?

In New York there is a truck food making waffles and putting on top meat and complements, and the people bend it and eat, like a taco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Suggestions welcome.

Make the waffles and freeze them. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

Anyone tried a silicone mold in the oven to make waffles? Is it good as the iron?

In New York there is a truck food making waffles and putting on top meat and complements, and the people bend it and eat, like a taco.

Might be a temp/conduction problem, doing a waffle in the oven. I can see one side undercooking

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Make the waffles and freeze them. 

Blast freezer is full at the moment and I have other things in line to freeze, namely nice organic blackberries before they rot.  Another reason, these waffles I did not like well enough.  The cakey batter should be better as pancakes.  I hope.

Plus, I'd have no place to put the frozen waffles.  I was able to fit the blender jar in the refrigerator, but that means I am having pickles for my dinner.