• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full Metal Handle

Fat Guy

On the French-steel cookware thread, Priscilla observed that many non-serious cooks exhibit an irrational fear of metal handles on cookware.

May we dwell on this phenomenon a bit?

In addition, what's your preferred method of dealing with hot handles? Do you: 1) use a potholder, 2) use an oven mitt; 3) use a towel; or 4) have flame-retardant skin? And in the case of 1, 2, or 3, do you have any specific product recommendations?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've been using the Orca silicone mit. You can reach into deep fryers with them.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If it's been in the oven for a while I use both an oven mitt AND a potholder as neither one seems to insulate enough. After I get the pan safely out of the oven and onto a heatproof surface I do my best to remember to drape a folded towel over the handle as a reminder that it is still HOT.

No specific product recommendations - run-of-the-mill mitts and potholders.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use an ordinary kitchen towel. I used to use potholders but after I started working in a kitchen I got used to working with towels.

I'm afraid of pans that don't have metal handles. Moving pans between stovetop and oven has become so instinctive for me that I don't think about it before I do it. Fortunately, all my home pans have metal handles, so it's not an issue. One of these days I'm gonna torch somebody else's saute pan with a plastic handle, though.

A towel if I'm in a hurry. But if dexterity is required, you can't beat welding gloves, available in a variety of colors and styles for any occasion. I have the orange ones for every day use, and pull out the black or gray ones when company's coming.

Seriously, it's amazing how much more easily things are accomplished when you have the use of your fingers.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Seriously, it's amazing how much more easily things are accomplished when you have the use of your fingers.

Even just opposable thumbs are a big help. Ask any dog.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So, I noticed in the King Arthur catalog that they have two silicone potholders: one woven, one solid. I think the woven one has fingers and the solid one is more of a mitt. Has anyone tried the woven one? I keep burning the back of my hand on the oven door while pulling bread off the stone, but I can't do it with a mitt on--not enough dexterity to grab the parchment. I'm thinking the woven silicone glove might help.

Or I could get a peel, I suppose, but then I'd just burn myself on a different part of the oven door.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The Orca Jinmyo mentioned is my grabber of choice, but it goes walkabouts, as do my poinsettia printed mitts still hanging in since Christmas. So...

Kitchen towel.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Towels. Of course, I also use them to dry things and sop up spills, so every now and again I get reminded that a wet towell is a much better conductor of heat then a dry one.

That horrid choice -- dropping dinner or second degree burns.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

welding gloves, available in a variety of colors and styles for any occasion.

I just checked this out, and the pricing astounds me. They are thirty dollars a dozen? If so, my Christmas list is um, handled.

Or are they thirty dollars the each if I buy 1-3 dozen?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

welding gloves, available in a variety of colors and styles for any occasion.

I just checked this out, and the pricing astounds me. They are thirty dollars a dozen? If so, my Christmas list is um, handled.

Or are they thirty dollars the each if I buy 1-3 dozen?

I think that's per-dozen pricing.

If you go to Home Depot or Lowe's, they'll cost $5 to $8 a pair. They come lined and unlined. The lined ones are preferable.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Got to agree 'bout the welding gloves -- damn handy in the kitchen or working with the grill. I tend to use them (or, it, actually, as a I generally only wear one, leaving my other hand free to handle food) outside rather than inside. Dunno why.

I bought one of those zippy new bumpy silicon potholder/mat things -- supposed to be good up to 600 degrees. The only problem is that the surface, which is nice and grippy when dry, becomes dangerously slippery if there is even a hint of oil on it. It's been relegated to trivet status.

Other than that, kitchen towel all the way.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I bought one of those zippy new bumpy silicon potholder/mat things -- supposed to be good up to 600 degrees. The only problem is that the surface, which is nice and grippy when dry, becomes dangerously slippery if there is even a hint of oil on it. It's been relegated to trivet status.

They also heat up if you need to hold onto the pan for any length of time, as when you're removing cookies from a baking sheet.