• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why I Love Graham Kerr

Fat Guy

Just kidding.

http://www.grahamkerr.com/

I nominate this guy for "most annoying TV-food personality not on the Food Network."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

But his shows are on FN according to their website!  A schedule is found here.

Dunno, I'm not tuning in at that hour....  :raz:

He's not a creature of the Food Network, though. They're just showing his old stuff at 4:30am.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't like his new shows, but when he was drinking in the 70's, he was hugely entertaining.

Yes. A friend was his producer in the early 1970s. He really was as drunk as you thought.

Is he still doing the no-fat cancer-staving-off stuff with the magic marker and bristol board?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You do have to hand it to Kerr, though. How many TV personalities have been a huge success completely pissed AND THEN win an entirely new audience with the thin gruel of born-again Christianity and low-fat food?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Drunk, he made food and cooking sound exciting and glamorous.

Sober, he makes it all sound as exciting as bran muffins.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I loved his show when I was a little kid.

But the new incarnation? Two words: Yogurt cheese. I've run into the show where he makes yogurt cheese at least 20 times. Yogurt, coffee filter, drip, drip, drip. Spread on bagel. Take a bite. Grimace.

I still kind of like him because of the good memories I have of watching him way back when. I'm sure he helped form my current interest in food.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I always thought he was a horse's ass. I always thought he didn't much like anything about food, especially touching it and cooking it and that he played to that same same audience.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Every weekday on our PBS station, there's a different cooking show.

Peter, age 7, on Graham Kerr: "Mom, is he on drugs? He's totally, you know, annoying. More annoying than my sisters."

Peter, on the Cooking at home with Julia and Jacques: "I just love this show. They are so, well, wise, but in a good way." At age 7, he knows to dry the beef before browning and not crowd the pan. As he says "because Jack and Julia say so."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm not sure who I find more annoying: Kerr or Emeril. I find both to be grating.

:wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Snowangel, give that kid an extra dessert, and make sure it's home made. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Peter, on the Cooking at home with Julia and Jacques:  "I just love this show.  They are so, well, wise, but in a good way."  At age 7, he knows to dry the beef before browning and not crowd the pan.  As he says "because Jack and Julia say so."

The child has been blessed by St. Jacques and St. Julia. Surely only good can come of this.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Say what you will, the guy is pushing (or is in) his 70's, and he doesn't look a day over 50.

His reformation apparently came about because a) his wife almost died from the rich food he cooked, and b) as a recovering alcoholic, he felt terribly guilty about the image he had in his younger days.

Aside from the fat-separating measuring cup, I don't really buy too heavily into his cooking techniques. I once tried to make a recipe of his. It was supposed to be an alternative to supermarket macaroni and cheese. The recipe involved macaroni and roasted acorn squash puree. It looked precisely like the orangey macaroni and cheese, but the taste was ... not very good.

My wife thinks he's a total creep.

much better drunk.

I've seen his old show once or twice on Food TV-I thought he was a riot. Of course, it was the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep, so I was sitting in front of the TV, drinking a glass of wine along with him...

Can't quite see how he'd be any good sober, though. Or something worth watching during normal waking hours.

My wife thinks he's a total creep.

We are fortunate men.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable