• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

We just bought a Good Grips to replace one of those SafetyCan ones that only opens certain cans. Unfortunately, we have had no need to open a can since we bought the new can opener. I realize that if I were serious about the whole thing I would have found an excuse, but we just got rid of a bunch of unneeded cans. Dammit.

When we were shopping we noticed that Kitchenaid now sells can openers, in colors to match your KA appliances, and they seemed pretty sturdy.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Amataur or professional?

For constant use, bench mounted, not much beats a Bonzer. Any good catering supplier should have them (at least in the UK). Blades are replaceable as well.

For the ordinary cook you want one of the newish type that cuts through the side, not the top of the can,and rolls the edge so as not to leave it sharp. Personally I prefer a hand held one (e.g. Good Grips), as I don't open many cans, but you can get wall mounted equivalents.

I don't think electric ones are worthwhile. The effort they save is minimal, and they tend to be a bit inflexible, and awkward to clean.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I'm talking about opening a can maybe a couple of times a week. But I want to do it with panache.

I also want to be able to keep spent cans and use them as ring molds -- I refuse to pay money for a ring mold. Will the side-entry units eliminate that option by folding the lip?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rosle. I guess it counts as a "safety" version since neither the lid nor the edge of the can is sharp, but it crimps the edge of the lid, not the can, so you could use the cans for ring molds. It removes the entire lid in such a way that the lid doesn't fall into the can and you can place it back on the can for storage (very handy for cat food). Because the cutting wheel never touches the food, it doesn't get dirty. Also, because it cuts at the seam, it doesn't have to be clamped onto the can, so your hand doesn't get tired. It's not cheap, but it's not way overpriced like some of Rosle's products. I think it's around $30.

Since I do open cans frequently (for the cats), I rank it up there with my microplane in the pantheon of cool tools.

You can see it here: Rosle can opener

Rosle. I guess it counts as a "safety" version since neither the lid nor the edge of the can is sharp, but it crimps the edge of the lid, not the can, so you could use the cans for ring molds. It removes the entire lid in such a way that the lid doesn't fall into the can and you can place it back on the can for storage (very handy for cat food). Because the cutting wheel never touches the food, it doesn't get dirty. Also, because it cuts at the seam, it doesn't have to be clamped onto the can, so your hand doesn't get tired. It's not cheap, but it's not way overpriced like some of Rosle's products. I think it's around $30.

Since I do open cans frequently (for the cats), I rank it up there with my microplane in the pantheon of cool tools.

Interesting, but the site does not actually indicate how you could order the opener, nor does it list a price.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Interesting, but the site does not actually indicate how you could order the opener, nor does it list a price.

Sur La Table

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have a KitchenAid that I'm very happy with. Heavy duty, good leverage for "clamping down", good gear ratio, so it doesn't take 11,542 turns to open a can of spaghettio's.

(Not that I ever eat that kchudda).

Really.

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

I am a happy owner of the OXO Good Grips opener, but I like the Good Grips stuff because I have big hands.

I had the one that locked, but I prefer the more standard, traditional one. Not as pretty as the Rosle, but it does the job.

Bill Russell

I have the Krups Open Master electric "safety" can opener. It does the same thing as the Rosle one but it does it with a motor. (I am lazy.) I got it several years ago and I love it. I can't stand the kind that cut into the can contents anymore. YUK! That Rosle sure looks cool, though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That Rosle unit looks pretty damn authoritative. Can anyone make the case against it, or is that just the one I'm going to buy?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That Rosle unit looks pretty damn authoritative. Can anyone make the case against it, or is that just the one I'm going to buy?

Well, it does cost thirty bucks. For that money, I think you could buy at least two of any other manual can opener mentioned here.

Now, if it came with a holster...

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That's a good argument but I'm going to save so much money from the When Cheaper is Just Fine thread that I'll easily be able to afford a $30 can opener. Plus I'd be shocked if the street price in NYC wasn't closer to $25.

Well, it does cost thirty bucks. For that money, I think you could buy at least two of any other manual can opener mentioned here.

Now, if it came with a holster...

I'll say it again. I work at Sur La Table, I can get most anything at a discount, but I think I would have paid full price for the Rosle can opener. Any time I demo it for customers, they buy it. Buy the Rosle. Holster or not.

The Rosle opener looks beautiful.

I'd be willing to buy tinned stuff to use it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

To my mind, the absolutely best can opener is the Kuhn Rikon from Switzerland.

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/gr.../deluxe_sml.jpg

Stainless side opener for $25. I've had mine for a year and a half or so and it works flawlessly. Like the Rosle (which I haven't seen), it opens around the side of the lid leaving no jagged edges and you can replace the lid using as a cover. I use it mostly for opening cans of tomato paste and when using only a little I just put the lid back on and the paste stays fine in the fridge for at least a week.

I can't recommend this opener highly enough. It sends the Swing-A-Way to the back of the drawer, never to be seen again.

That's a good argument but I'm going to save so much money from the When Cheaper is Just Fine thread that I'll easily be able to afford a $30 can opener. Plus I'd be shocked if the street price in NYC wasn't closer to $25.

Unless you're going to invite your guests into the kitchen to watch you open cans (i.e. hey everybody, dig my wicked cool can opener), save a few bucks and go over to Food Emporium and buy one of the openers they have hanging above the shelves. They sell the side cutting kind. We bought one in 97 or 98 and it's still working fine. Of course it took us a few hours to figure out how to work the damn thing since it attached over the top of the can, instead of the side as top cutting can openers do. confused-smiley-014.gif

One caveat though, these new fangled can openers leave you with a top that makes it difficult to strain/drain a can using the top.

Edited by abbeynormal (log)

I second Nickn's suggestion. I have a Kuhn Rikon that I bought in Paris about 8 years ago that works very well.

I believe you can find them at The Conran Shop.

Beware of the OXOs. They rust if you put them in the dishwasher.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

{Scene} Fat guy walking down a New York street

{Man in Trenchcoat slides out of alley} Pssst! Hey!

{Fat Guy wheels around ready to slap him with his belt} Huzzah!!!

{Man in Trenchcoat slowly opens coat} Hey, wanna buy a Can Opener? They are the real deal, no knockoffs here

{Fat Guy, suddenly interested} Don't Jive me with your "Rooosle" Can Opener!

{Man in Trenchcoat whips out can of tuna} Watch the action on this puppy, it's for real.

{Fat Guy stares in awe} Ohhhh, so smooth! Gimme gimme gimme!!!

{Fat guy pays the 25.95 and skips home to open cans of dog food}

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I already ordered mine, should pay off in less than a year for half full cans of San Martzano tomatoes I can save...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak