• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

I've seen jellied cranberry sauce and the like labeled upside down.

As was said above, it should plop out of the can easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Stackability makes sense but it does not explain why the label is upside down.  So much easier in the days when the grocery would open the can for you before you left the store.

Did they peel your grapes, too? :B

Regarding the cans with one regular end and one molded end (and the upside down label), The can end is molded so once you open the can on the regularly-shaped end, the contents should plop right out. No need for a knife or spatula to dig the contents out. As DDF mentioned, gelled cranberry has this kind of can. And Mary Kitchen's Corned Beef Hash, et al, has recently changed over to the same kind of can. 

I've never looked to see when the label is correct side up which end is on the bottom. I assume the molded end would be on the bottom.

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What I dislike about the stackable cans with one removable end and another non-removable end is that if you can't remove both ends and get free cooking rings anymore.  They made great molds for plating and for cooking things like eggs.  I have a set of graduated rings which are great, but only one in each size.  

• Like 4

I used the OXO for the first time tonight.  I tried to open a can of tomatoes and nothing perceptible happened.  I down loaded and reread the manual, and repeated exactly the same thing.  The can opened perfectly.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

as I think I mentioned 

on ATK a long time ago , the OXO  was the second choice 

and best buy 

the more expensive one , possibly from switzerland or in that neighborhood 

was more expensive , but you only needed to go around once.

saving a lot of time id guess over the Millennia 

• Haha 1

I finally got tired of turning the air blue* when attempting to open cans.

I just ordered and Oxo side opener — Amazon had a coupon.

*I actually never get tired of turning the air blue! xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This appears to be the can opener that ATK recommends.

It's EXPENSIVE, and the average reviews on Amazon aren't glowing.

• Thanks 1

I have a side-cut, smooth-edge that's branded Cooks Choice. Don't remember where I got it. Works well. I only have to go around once. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

♥️ the Oxo side opener!!!

Going around the can twice isn't a big deal—the handle is so comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 years later...

Any updates on safety can openers? My brother in law has asked for one for Christmas. My Rosle is still working fine, but they apparently doesn't make them anymore. I usually have good luck with OXO products, so I feel confident with that choice, but is there something better?

1 hour ago, JAZ said:

Any updates on safety can openers? My brother in law has asked for one for Christmas. My Rosle is still working fine, but they apparently doesn't make them anymore. I usually have good luck with OXO products, so I feel confident with that choice, but is there something better?

I didn't like my Oxo safety can opener. At all. Couldn't make it work properly, and it was more trouble than it was worth. 

This summer I "splurged" on a battery-powered safety can opener on Amazon, and love it. I have no idea how long it will last, but it's a hoot to watch and works on both 14-oz and 28-oz cans. (I haven't tried any other sizes.) I wrote about it here. That particular model is no longer available -- that is, when I try to look at the product page I get a 404 error -- but this looks much the same: Talowaric Electric Can opener New 2023, One Touch Automatically open the can for Any Size Smooth Edge and Safe Best Gift for Chef Senior and Mom (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). If you look on that page you'll see a lot of similar designs.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, palo said:

A question - the lid of the can doesn't have a sharp edge, but what about the can itself?

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

The side-cutter/safety can openers leave a smooth edge on the lid and on the can. 

Which, yes, is sharp. For those who - like me - are clumsy or experience declining dexterity, it's definitely a pick-your-poison scenario. I personally found that I was more likely to cut myself on the can after using a side-cutter, so I abandoned it for a conventional can opener. Others (possibly/probably a majority?) have found otherwise.

I will say that cans opened with a side-cutter make excellent biscuit cutters, etc. and are definitely preferable for steaming loaves of Boston brown bread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

I didn't like my Oxo safety can opener. At all. Couldn't make it work properly, and it was more trouble than it was worth. 

This summer I "splurged" on a battery-powered safety can opener on Amazon, and love it. I have no idea how long it will last, but it's a hoot to watch and works on both 14-oz and 28-oz cans. (I haven't tried any other sizes.) I wrote about it here. That particular model is no longer available -- that is, when I try to look at the product page I get a 404 error -- but this looks much the same: Talowaric Electric Can opener New 2023, One Touch Automatically open the can for Any Size Smooth Edge and Safe Best Gift for Chef Senior and Mom (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). If you look on that page you'll see a lot of similar designs.

I had the same problem with the regular Oxo can opener.  It's useless.  I can't get it to "hook on" to the cans.  When I do, it slips off before the lid is removed.  Frustrating and painful for arthritic hands!  I got this battery operated side open one for Christmas either in 2022 or 2021 and I love it.  The only cans that I have trouble with are tiny ones - like tomato paste cans.  I honestly don't remember whether or not I've ever had to open an oddly shaped can (like sardines) yet.  I can highly recommend it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The side-cutter/safety can openers leave a smooth edge on the lid and on the can. 

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Which, yes, is sharp. For those who - like me - are clumsy or experience declining dexterity, it's definitely a pick-your-poison scenario. I personally found that I was more likely to cut myself on the can after using a side-cutter, so I abandoned it for a conventional can opener. Others (possibly/probably a majority?) have found otherwise.

Guess I shouldn't have spoken so broadly.  The manual safety opener that I own, when used on the cans that I've tried it on,  leaves a smooth edge on the lid and the can that is not sharp.

The OXO opener was out of stock when I ordered mine so I ordered the Amazon Basics version, which was around $11 when I got it a couple of years ago.

I open two or three cans of cat food per day, along with the occasional tin of tomatoes, coconut milk, etc. I don't routinely run my finger around the lid and can top but I did today with the three cans I've opened and none were sharp.

The cat food cans all have a ring-pull but they leave a very sharp lip on the inside of the can that nicks the spatulas or my fingers when I'm scooping out the food so I prefer just removing the top. 

• Like 4

On 12/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, Smithy said:

Thanks. This is a very specific question, which you may or may not be able to answer. Apparently, my bother-in-law wants this mostly to open cans of coconut milk. In my experience, some brands of coconut milk don't work well with safety openers. Do you have any experience with your opener on coconut milk cans? (I know, weird question.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't routinely run my finger around the lid

Good for you.  No doubt smooth edges are better than sharp ones, but really, aren't sharp can edges a First World problem?

How many revolutions of the opener does it typically take for the cutter to free the lid?

17 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

How many revolutions of the opener does it typically take for the cutter to free the lid?

So far, all lids have released after one revolution but I’ve only had it for ~ 2 years x ~ 2.5 cans/day = 1825 cans, so quite a limited sample. 
Oh wait. I think there may have been a little oval tinned fish can that didn’t release on the first go round. 

3 hours ago, JAZ said:

Thanks. This is a very specific question, which you may or may not be able to answer. Apparently, my bother-in-law wants this mostly to open cans of coconut milk. In my experience, some brands of coconut milk don't work well with safety openers. Do you have any experience with your opener on coconut milk cans? (I know, weird question.)

Not at all a weird question, and as it happens I'll be able to test it by early next week, maybe as soon as Sunday. I'll report back.

3 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Good for you.  No doubt smooth edges are better than sharp ones, but really, aren't sharp can edges a First World problem?

My particular electric opener seems to need 2 revolutions, maybe 3, to get the lid off. I let it do its thing and decide when it's finished. (If I'm looking for entertainment I just watch it go; otherwise, I work on other kitchen tasks while it's working.) The Oxo manual safety opener I had took many more turns around the can, and -- as somebody else pointed out earlier -- was difficult to attach and then, later, release.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, JAZ said:

Make your brother-in-law's life easier with these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)...

image.thumb.png.42ca28be8b8042c119f06215cd4f2bb8.png

Better than what's in most cans, no openers needed.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I haven't used my can opener for years. It's an OK no name Chinese brand from the local supermarket.

I might use one can a year but they all seem to be ring pull here these days. There is one product ("salmon" roe) I use a lot of which does come in a ring pull can from Russia but I've never been able to open the cans without resorting to pliers and a system of levers put together from screwdrivers etc. For some reason, probably stubbornness, I've never thought to open them with the can opener. Can't think where it is.

roe.jpg.69fe9d33dfcdb6bc7a4bdec27cc89e44.jpg

SalmonRoe.thumb.jpg.9318fc27e38334fd46c415633a470441.jpg

P.S. Just checked. All the cans I have: beans, sardines and the above roe are ring pull. There is one ancient can of tomatoes which would require the opener, but I usually use fresh tomatoes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto