• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

On 3/7/2019 at 6:35 AM, rotuts said:

the only thing about the OXO is that you frequently have to go around the can twice.

I have an Oxo side cutter and a Kuhn Rikon side cutter.   I have an older Swing-Away.  I like the side cutters the best, but sometimes the can needs a second trip, it seems the bigger cans are most of the culprits.

I see my savings for the OXO side cutter

providing me w " Some exercise "

for the second trip around the can.

I can't even remember what the ATK  "" Best "

was , no matter

these days, 

a side bitter  is the way to go these days

it does not cut ,, so there will be no sharp edges

it has something to do w realeasing  the tops adhesion to the bottom can.

if you use a ' cutter ' 

look into these

you will not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Prompted by this thread, I just looked up the EZ-DUZ-IT to see if it's available in Canada. It is indeed...for $37.95 CDN on Amazon.ca.

If it's really built like the old Swing-a-Way it'll last long enough to be worth it, but that was a nasty shock to my East Coast Frugality Gene (TM). It might take me a few days to actually muster up the gumption to make the purchase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Prompted by this thread, I just looked up the EZ-DUZ-IT to see if it's available in Canada. It is indeed...for $37.95 CDN on Amazon.ca.

If it's really built like the old Swing-a-Way it'll last long enough to be worth it, but that was a nasty shock to my East Coast Frugality Gene (TM). It might take me a few days to actually muster up the gumption to make the purchase.

I have an EZ-DUZ-IT at home. I like it, but not well enough to justify that price! IMO it is not as good as the old Swing-a-Way. Mine is a couple of years old and starting to loosen/show signs of wear. It does not get heavy usage.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I noticed the other day that WalMart sells an EZ-DUZ-IT under their "Good Cook" branding for $9.99......but I don't see it on their website.

The packaging is the same, the only difference being the name.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I noticed the other day that WalMart sells an EZ-DUZ-IT under their "Good Cook" branding for $9.99......but I don't see it on their website.

The packaging is the same, the only difference being the name.

I found it on the Walmart.ca website...for $52.95 CDN. :P

• Confused 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

25 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I found it on the Walmart.ca website...for $52.95 CDN. :P

shock2.gif

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Found it....$9.97

Good Cook Deluxe Can Opener

CanOpener.PNG

• Like 1

That's more like it. I'm sure I can find another thing or two to get up to the threshold for free shipping.

There were very few things I wanted in my mother's kitchen when she died in 2012. Her Oxo good grips locking can opener seemed great, so I took it. It's still great. I have no idea how long she had it before I became the boss of it. That Oxo replaced a real piece of crap in my kitchen, so I may not be the best judge, but it is still a great can opener. Needing to go around twice....never!  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The  EZ-DUZ-IT has the exact same issues as the Swing-A-Way.

Did cans change?

I got so dang mad I was close to opening a can like Popeye!!! LOL! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After following this thread I bought OXO openers for myself and my mom, who has Parkinson's. Both are working well, thus far.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Following a recent price reduction and coupon, I now have an OXO Smooth Edge.  For years I've had an OXO traditional opener which still works OK as ever but I am a whore for new technology.

However I have a question.  These days many newfangled cans come with the label upside down, at least as far as for opening with a traditional opener.  When opening this type of can with the OXO Smooth Edge, should the can label be up or down?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker I think I know what you're talking about. I have a "Good Cooks" brand side-cut can opener. (IMO the edge is not completely smooth; there will be a sharp point on the lid, where the cuts don't exactly meet.)

I think you have to open the can on the old up side, i.e., the label will be upside-down when you open your can.

• Thanks 1

I think the labels are upside down so that you store it in your pantry that way (upside-down). For example, a can of beans, stored upside-down. When you open the can of beans (cutting the top of the can), it will pour out easily. Like storing a bottle of ketchup upside-down. Ease of pour.

• Thanks 2

I have the OXO  ' edge ' opener.

it was mentioned on ATK some time ago

as the # 2 favorite.   it was cheaper by 50 %  over the # 1

cant remember what was #1

I have to go around the can twice ,    thus it was # 2

but think of the FineMotor exercise Ive gotten over the years :

Ive noted some cans only have   the ' lid ' on the top these days

the bottom is ' molded ' for some reason , w no edge.

then there are cans w  ' pop tops '

etc.

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive noted some cans only have   the ' lid ' on the top these days

the bottom is ' molded ' for some reason , w no edge.

Stackability.

Plays hell with the whole "remove top and bottom and flatten can" thing, of course.

• Like 2

I have a Kitchen Aid opener.  I have a lot of pain in my hands and had a hard time finding an opener that I could maneuver without hurting.  I even had an electric one for awhile, but it was such a bitch to clean that I did some research and gave this one a try.  I am very happy with it so far.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Stackability.

Plays hell with the whole "remove top and bottom and flatten can" thing, of course.

Stackability makes sense but it does not explain why the label is upside down.  So much easier in the days when the grocery would open the can for you before you left the store.

40 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I think @MokaPot was right about this.  

Possibly, but the theory does not explain why only cans with one end molded have the labels upside down.  Though come to think of it, traditional cans can be opened either end.

• Like 1