• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got this for Christmas and I really like it.  Hands free, just place on the can and push the button.  

Two caveats:  I don't open a ton of cans, and I've only had it since December.

I love this style of can opener! I can't use any other kind now, especially since I am left-handed and traditional hand-held openers are torture for me to use. 

I've tried a few different models over the years and most have been great, though I'm not sure if I've used @Shelby's model or not. My current one is made by Zyliss, I like it because it's more compact than some. It's about 5 inches long. 

I see @DiggingDogFarm's preference is for traditional openers though, so I guess that rules out this type? 

IMG_20190304_111759.thumb.jpg.92eb688917cf5fae4c2402163a2ef334.jpg

Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't say most of these have been 'great', but they have been mostly decent. I did have one that went through batteries like crazy and one that was stupidly slow and ended up donating or returning those.  

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

I have several of the military issue can openers.

They're extremely reliable and work well, but they're slow.

If I use a traditional can opener and it doesn't work in spots, I can finish opening the can with the military issue.

Problem is, my traditional can opener has become so bad at opening cans, it creates a huge hassle!

It's a Swing-A-Way handheld—but it's a piece of junk!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Can anyone recommend a good can opener that's currently made?

Many get mixed reviews. :S

Thanks!

I don't have any great recommendations.  I use a basic OXO good grips model that I've had for years.  But I had to thank you for resurrecting this discussion - some hilarious posts in the early part of the thread.  I'll be chuckling over them for a good while!

• Haha 1

We use a safety opener, the aforementioned (but no longer made) Rösle, but have a traditional opener that we (have to) use on only two things: Cougar Gold (a cheddar-like cheese from Washington State that's well-worth its own can opener) and some brand of coconut milk.

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Swing-A-Way was sold -- at least a couple of times -- a while back. I think they still make the old stand-by. But for some reason, the company that used to make parts for the pre-sale version of Swing-A-Way has gone into business for itself, manufacturing the EZ-Duz-It. Silly name, but it gets high marks from respectable folks like Serious Eats and Wirecutter.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I see @DiggingDogFarm's preference is for traditional openers though, so I guess that rules out this type? 

No, not necessarily.

Not if it works real good.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

EZ-Duz-It

I'm familiar with that opener.

I read some of the reviews earlier—very mixed.

"I don't care if this thing is "Made in the USA" or not. It's garbage, just like every other can opener that exists in the world." :S

45 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm familiar with that opener.

I read some of the reviews earlier—very mixed.

"I don't care if this thing is "Made in the USA" or not. It's garbage, just like every other can opener that exists in the world." :S

Just to be clear, I don't own one, and thus can't personally endorse it; I was just trying to be helpful. The brand we have in our drawer is marked "Core Kitchen." It works fine for the eight or ten times a year we use it. 

8 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I have a Good Grips that works very well. 

In my experience, Oxo does a pretty good job with utensils and even some small cookware.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

17 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Swing-A-Way was sold -- at least a couple of times -- a while back. I think they still make the old stand-by. But for some reason, the company that used to make parts for the pre-sale version of Swing-A-Way has gone into business for itself, manufacturing the EZ-Duz-It. Silly name, but it gets high marks from respectable folks like Serious Eats and Wirecutter.

My current one is a Swing-A-Way handheld, which worked beautifully for about six months but is now barely functional. I've used the OXO and found it adequate. I'll have to see if I can find the EZ-Duz-It in Canada, and give that a shot.

It's strange to me that something so basic should prove to be so difficult to execute well. If I get the opportunity to build my own house/kitchen at some point, I'll just put a commercial Swing-A-Way at the end of a counter and be done with it.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Just to be clear, I don't own one, and thus can't personally endorse it; I was just trying to be helpful. The brand we have in our drawer is marked "Core Kitchen." It works fine for the eight or ten times a year we use it. 

In my experience, Oxo does a pretty good job with utensils and even some small cookware.

I have two of the OXOs (second one was purchased during a kitchen remodel and kept downstairs for opening dog food cans).

The OXOs replaced a wall-mount electric can opener that was a real POS that was awful to use.  

On a whim I once bought a QVC offered opener that was hyped because it took the lids off without leaving sharp edges.

It has since left the building.

Appears there are a few Oxo models.

All with mixed reviews. :S

Maybe I should adapt a military issue "John Wayne" opener for home use by adding a larger handle.

May be able to grasp it with a small pair of Vise-Grips to make it more ergonomic and speedier.

Or just start a couple minutes earlier. :laugh:

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

I currently have four P-51s and two P-38s.

My favorite is what I was raised on: the wallmounted aluminum Swing-A-Way crank model with the "Airstream" magnet that keeps the cut lid from falling into the can.  These are unsightly as hell, but they can be taken from their wall bracket when not in use.   Somewhere I have a new one in original packaging.

I recently bought a handheld Swing-A-Way with longer-than-usual handles and crank at a resto supply store.  I thought it would give better leverage, but the crank is too long for it to be easily used.

I'm intrigued by the models that cut the sides of the can without leaving jagged edges, but I've never owned one.

You know you're a survivalist when you keep a P-38 and a magnesium firestarter on your keychain.  

Photo credits:  equippers.com and Pinterest

Swingaway3.jpg

swingaway2.jpg

Edited by boilsover (log)

12 minutes ago, boilsover said:

You know you're a survivalist when you keep a P-38 and a magnesium firestarter on your keychain.

:)

On 3/4/2019 at 2:46 PM, Dave the Cook said:

We use a safety opener, the aforementioned (but no longer made) Rösle, but have a traditional opener that we (have to) use on only two things: Cougar Gold (a cheddar-like cheese from Washington State that's well-worth its own can opener) and some brand of coconut milk.

Now you did it:

IMG_5635.thumb.JPG.73f7dd49e06913130c39451d4f383176.JPG

3 cans of Cougar Gold arrived at my doorstep this evening.  I now have enough cheddar to last, well, at least until I get to use @DiggingDogFarm's P-38 can opener and magnesium fire starter.

I have a Zyliss, which works good enough. I mean, how many fucking cans of stuff are people opening? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 3/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Dave the Cook said:

the ez-duz-it people started selling the opener because current production (and for the last decade or so) swing-away is made in China.  Out of cheese.  I bought one, it failed to open the first can I tried it on.  It wasn't sharp enough to puncture the can, it just deformed it.  The second time I tried to use it, ti broke. 

I have an ez-duz-it.  It's so-so.  The blade isn't as sharp as the old swing-aways were.  I suspect they have quality control issues with the cutters. 

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

3 cans of Cougar Gold arrived at my doorstep this evening.

Heed the warning to keep the unopened cans under refrigeration.  Trust me, I learned the hard way--an expensive lesson!

I you ever get to Pullman, Washington, the WSU dairy program also runs a campus ice cream shop, Ferdinand's, that serves same day ice cream made in the University's creamery.  Well worth a visit.  https://creamery.wsu.edu/ferdinands-ice-cream-shoppe/menu/  

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

On 3/5/2019 at 5:35 AM, chromedome said:

My current one is a Swing-A-Way handheld, which worked beautifully for about six months but is now barely functional.

I also bought a Swing-Away from a restro supply store, and like chromedome, found that is started out well but six months later was getting vary hard to use. I'll most likely give Oxo a try. These are for ren faire kitchens. I have a finicky electric in my home kitchen, but I know how to get it to open cans. My best guess is that I open about 3 can over a 2-week period.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 3/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Also like the little baby from Lee Valley which is perfect in a travel pack or purse. Here

Interesting, but not enough leverage for these arthritic hands.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I also bought a Swing-Away from a restro supply store, and like chromedome, found that is started out well but six months later was getting vary hard to use. I'll most likely give Oxo a try. These are for ren faire kitchens. I have a finicky electric in my home kitchen, but I know how to get it to open cans. My best guess is that I open about 3 can over a 2-week period.

I suspect my Swing-a-Ways have been around for years, which is probably why they still work so well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

I mean, how many fucking cans of stuff are people opening? 

All I'll say is—food isn't the only thing that's packed in cans.

I open a lot of cans.

• Like 1

I have the OXO ' side-biter"  is you will ,  and have had it for some time

a long time ago the Test Kitchen did a can opener review.

the OXO was the Best Buy , and another one was the recommended one

I dont recall the price difference 

the only thing about the OXO is that you frequently have to go around the can twice.

probably not w the recommended one , but I can't say.

once you get the hang of a side-cutting opener ,l you will never go back to a top-cutter

the edge of the can is smooth w the side-biter , as is the lid , which you recycle if you are into that.

I replaced my vintage 1981 Swingaway in January of 2019 with an ez-duz-it. I'll report back when it breaks or in 38 years, whichever comes first.

I thought the Swingaway was fine, but my kid complained it wasn't sharp enough. Wow, these punks are soft.

• Haha 1