• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

That's a good argument but I'm going to save so much money from the When Cheaper is Just Fine thread that I'll easily be able to afford a $30 can opener. Plus I'd be shocked if the street price in NYC wasn't closer to $25.

{Scene} Fat guy walking down a New York street

{Man in Trenchcoat slides out of alley} Pssst! Hey!

{Fat Guy wheels around ready to slap him with his belt} Huzzah!!!

{Man in Trenchcoat slowly opens coat} Hey, wanna buy a Can Opener? They are the real deal, no knockoffs here

{Fat Guy, suddenly interested} Don't Jive me with your "Rooosle" Can Opener!

{Man in Trenchcoat whips out can of tuna} Watch the action on this puppy, it's for real.

{Fat Guy stares in awe} Ohhhh, so smooth! Gimme gimme gimme!!!

{Fat guy pays the 25.95 and skips home to open cans of dog food}

Do I sense an movie idea?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That's a good argument but I'm going to save so much money from the When Cheaper is Just Fine thread that I'll easily be able to afford a $30 can opener. Plus I'd be shocked if the street price in NYC wasn't closer to $25.

{Scene} Fat guy walking down a New York street

{Man in Trenchcoat slides out of alley} Pssst! Hey!

{Fat Guy wheels around ready to slap him with his belt} Huzzah!!!

{Man in Trenchcoat slowly opens coat} Hey, wanna buy a Can Opener? They are the real deal, no knockoffs here

{Fat Guy, suddenly interested} Don't Jive me with your "Rooosle" Can Opener!

{Man in Trenchcoat whips out can of tuna} Watch the action on this puppy, it's for real.

{Fat Guy stares in awe} Ohhhh, so smooth! Gimme gimme gimme!!!

{Fat guy pays the 25.95 and skips home to open cans of dog food}

Do I sense an movie idea?

I already have a casting idea: The man in the trench coat should be the guy from Sesame Street who is always trying to sell Ernie letters from the alphabet.

--

• 9 months later...
Aren't there can openers that cut the seal between the can and the lid?

Yes, just like the one you link to. The Culinare Safety Can. I have had mine 3 years.

PROS: Works absolutely great and is durable and heavy duty

CON: Lately, it has started slipping on some cans and just will not open them. I don't know if some cans are kindof quirkey or if it's the serrated metal cam that is wearing out and keeps it from gripping as well.

I'm going to write the company and see what they say, and perhaps get a replacement. With this thing, I do not even miss an electric.

Texas Tequila Sunrise:

1 Bottle 100% Agave Tequila

1 shot glass, rim salted

1 lime, quartered

1 sunrise

*Pour tequila in salted shot glass. Drop in

1/4 lime. Contemplate the sunrise.

Drink until done. Repeat.

• 2 years later...

Glad to see this thread revived. About three years ago, I read it and decided to upgrade to a Kuhn Rikon. In many ways, it's an ideal can opener:

* it leaves a nice round edge on the can. No jagged points or a sharp edge, so you can reuse the can;

* it's pretty fast;

* the little built-in set of pliers is handy for other things; and

* it looks really cool.

But there are also drawbacks:

* there's a little bit of a learning curve. It took me a couple of minutes of fooling with it to figure out how it worked. I gave one to my mom, and she gave up;

* sometimes after you cut off the lid, it remains stuck. It takes a second to peel it off; and

* it feels like it's starting to get a little dull. My feeling is that a $25 can opener ought to last pretty much forever.

Since I do open cans frequently (for the cats), I rank it up there with my microplane in the pantheon of cool tools.

Cat food cans are one thing we don't open. If the can doesn't have a ring-pull type of lid, it doesn't make it into our shopping cart.

FG:

After 28 years of marriage I have yet to find an electric opener I like. I still prefer to use a hand-operated one. Kitchen-Aid has one for around $10 that is soilidly built.

Porthos Potwatcher

The Unrelenting Carnivore

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The timing of this thread bumping up is impecable as my crappy electric opener is just not doing it for me anymore. So, the consensus is either the Rosle or the Kuhn Rikon? Does it honestly matter all that much which one?

Porthos, I'm with you on the cat food can lid. There's only 1 that I will buy without a ring top but all others must have it.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I bought one of those "one touch" openers. Its battery operated and you just press the button and walk away. It leaves no sharp edge.

It worked well for the first 3 cans, no matter what brand of battery I used, I couldnt get it to open more than 3 cans on a set of batteries.

I bought it at QVC, and I just returned it yesterday.

I'm lazy. I have a Black & Decker under the counter electric opener that works just fine for me. I guess I don't open as many cans as some folks because it doesn't get terribly dirty. I just wipe the blade with a hot rag every so often and it's fine.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I grew up with a Swing-Away in the kitchen drawer and I'll die with a Swing-Away in the kitchen drawer. Smooth action, fast, $7, lasts for years.

I like their jar opener too.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

I picked up the Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Lid Lifter for $19 CDN at a kitchen store. So far I really like it, there's no mess, no sharp edges and once you've used it on 1 or 2 cans you get the hang of how it works.

Pricewise it was comparable to a full metal old-fashioned can opener which is what we'd just chucked out so couldn't see buying yet another one.

Here's the opener: http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/to...php3?id=206#buy

I love my Rosle

I had one of the first take-the-top-off-without-making-a-sharp-edge (was it an As Seen On TV Model ... it was white plastic) which was clunky and hard to clean.

The Rosle ... rocks.

My cat food comes with pull-top rings. This may eventually put an end to the need for can openers, as it has, I guess, for Church Keys (beer can openers) ... although I still keep a Tap Boy, just in case ...

Rosle. I guess it counts as a "safety" version since neither the lid nor the edge of the can is sharp, but it crimps the edge of the lid, not the can, so you could use the cans for ring molds. It removes the entire lid in such a way that the lid doesn't fall into the can and you can place it back on the can for storage (very handy for cat food). Because the cutting wheel never touches the food, it doesn't get dirty. Also, because it cuts at the seam, it doesn't have to be clamped onto the can, so your hand doesn't get tired. It's not cheap, but it's not way overpriced like some of Rosle's products. I think it's around $30.

Since I do open cans frequently (for the cats), I rank it up there with my microplane in the pantheon of cool tools.

You can see it here: Rosle can opener

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the Rosle for a few months now. Love it! You don't have to play jagged metal see saw to get lids off. I only use the old model for tuna - to drain well. Makes a great wedding shower gift.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 years later...

I had to add a note about my new Cuisinart can opener. Sits on the counter and takes up a bit of space, it's true, but it's the first can opener in my entire life that I have fallen in love with. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 9 years later...

Can anyone recommend a good can opener that's currently made?

Many get mixed reviews. :S

Thanks!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I got this for Christmas and I really like it.  Hands free, just place on the can and push the button.  

Two caveats:  I don't open a ton of cans, and I've only had it since December.

Does yours actually let go of the lid reliably?

My former SIL had one that was similar, and I cut myself many times trying to wrestle can lids away from the damned thing.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

Does yours actually let go of the lid reliably?

My former SIL had one that was similar, and I cut myself many times trying to wrestle can lids away from the damned thing.

I haven't had any problems like that so far.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Safety or traditional?

Traditional preferred.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!