• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

My favorite is what I was raised on: the wallmounted aluminum Swing-A-Way crank model with the "Airstream" magnet that keeps the cut lid from falling into the can.  These are unsightly as hell, but they can be taken from their wall bracket when not in use.   Somewhere I have a new one in original packaging.

I recently bought a handheld Swing-A-Way with longer-than-usual handles and crank at a resto supply store.  I thought it would give better leverage, but the crank is too long for it to be easily used.

I'm intrigued by the models that cut the sides of the can without leaving jagged edges, but I've never owned one.

You know you're a survivalist when you keep a P-38 and a magnesium firestarter on your keychain.  

Photo credits:  equippers.com and Pinterest

Swingaway3.jpg

swingaway2.jpg

boilsover

boilsover

My favorite is what I was raised on: the wallmounted aluminum Swing-A-Way crank model with the "Airstream" magnet that keeps the cut lid from falling into the can.  These are unsightly as hell, but they can be taken from their wall bracket when not in use.   Somewhere I have a new one in original packaging.

I recently bought a handheld Swing-A-Way with longer-than-usual handles and crank at a resto supply store.  I thought it would give better leverage, but the crank is too long for it to be easily used.

I'm intrigued by the models that cut the sides of the can and not leave jagged edges, but I've never owned one.

You know you're a survivalist when you keep a P-38 and a magnesium firestarter on your keychain.  

Photo credits:  equippers.com and Pinterest

Swingaway3.jpg

swingaway2.jpg