• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got this for Christmas and I really like it.  Hands free, just place on the can and push the button.  

Two caveats:  I don't open a ton of cans, and I've only had it since December.

I love this style of can opener! I can't use any other kind now, especially since I am left-handed and traditional hand-held openers are torture for me to use. 

I've tried a few different models over the years and most have been great, though I'm not sure if I've used @Shelby's model or not. My current one is made by Zyliss, I like it because it's more compact than some. It's about 5 inches long. 

I see @DiggingDogFarm's preference is for traditional openers though, so I guess that rules out this type? 

IMG_20190304_111759.thumb.jpg.92eb688917cf5fae4c2402163a2ef334.jpg

Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't say most of these have been 'great', but they have been mostly decent. I did have one that went through batteries like crazy and one that was stupidly slow and ended up donating or returning those.  

FauxPas

FauxPas

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got this for Christmas and I really like it.  Hands free, just place on the can and push the button.  

Two caveats:  I don't open a ton of cans, and I've only had it since December.

I love this style of can opener! I can't use any other kind now, especially since I am left-handed and traditional hand-held openers are torture for me to use. 

I've tried a few different models over the years and most have been great, though I'm not sure if I've used @Shelby's model or not. My current one is made by Zyliss, I like it because it's more compact than some. It's about 5 inches long. 

I see @DiggingDogFarm's preference is for traditional openers though, so I guess that rules out this type? 

IMG_20190304_111759.thumb.jpg.92eb688917cf5fae4c2402163a2ef334.jpg