• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisines not yet discovered

First off, thank you so much for taking part in this discussion.

I also want to let you know that I hold you fully responsible for my complete lack of interest in anything that is not food related, I was hooked on your show "Taste" from the beginning and it has changed my life, especially the way I eat!

My question is:

Your new book is about American food and your past books have touched on various cuisines, so are there any cuisines out there that you still haven't really explored yet?

Any cuisines that intrigue you and you are curious to learn more about?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It is my pleasure to participate! And thank you so much for your very kind words......

The frank answer to your question is.....I'm restlessly curious about everything! Even when I feel I "know" a cuisine fairly well--I still get staggered by new discoveries. I can't tell you how many "new" things I've found in recent years in France, in Italy, in Mexico!

But if you're asking for big blank areas that interest me.....well, Africa and South America are two continents I haven't visited much. I'd love to learn more about food in Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Senegal, Tunisia, Ethiopia. Those are the stand-out places I'd like to explore.

Of course, my curiosity for Asia never wanes. I'd like to go into rural regions of Thailand, which I've not done. I want to know more about Vietnamese cuisine. And, someday, I'd love to learn more about Indonesia and the Philippines.

Big list!