• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morality and Food

We're having quite an engaging debate on eGullet on the role of morality and food -- that is, should moral principles play a part in deciding whether or not to eat something. Click HERE for that thread. This "morality" is often derived from religious dogma, but often, it comes from the treatment of animals (e.g., veal, foie gras), the type of animals (pet-like animals), or the diminishing numbers of animals (Chilean Sea Bass). Other times, this issue arises from the use of pesticides and genetically altered food.

What role do you see morality/ethical principles playing with respect to your food choices?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This is not my specialty......but I do have a few thoughts on the subject:

All life is sacred. And yet.....in the system we were dealt, it is imperative that living things derive sustenance from other things that live. Vegetarians scoff at carnivores--but harvesting a tomato is also ending the life of a living thing. The food chain seems to me a natural order, a means of survival; I don't think about it too deeply, but I do accept it as a necessary part of our lives.

Pesticides, genetically altered foods, et al.--I'm for natural ways. I don't get crazy about some winemaker spraying a little SO2 on the grapes--but I root all I can for natural methods of production.