• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a recent episode of Ground Force shown on BBC America, they showed them eating some kind of crumpet-tea cake like things called Cream Teas.

What are these, and how exactly do you make them?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A cream tea is the meal, not the pastry itself. It refers to tea served with scones layered with clotted cream and jam, and possibly some butter too. It's all about packing as much butterfat onto one scone as possible.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

No no no, cream first, otherwise the reduced friction caused by Jam in between the cream and the scone reduces the amount of cream that can be applied. You then use a jam spoon (we're posh in Devon) to dribble a small amount of jam on top.

Paul

In homage to Charlie Dimmock you could pile up a fullsome portion of cream and then dab a small dollop of jam on top. :biggrin:

You mean the OLD charlie dimmock. They are making her wear bras now.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I am firmly in the latter camp and think that those who say Scone ( as in stone ) are all fur coat and no knickers

Well, count my Granny from Lancs as fur free and knickers out the whazoo. Scone like stone makes me wince.

Is this some kind of Brit shibboleth...scone pronunciation?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I am firmly in the latter camp and think that those who say Scone ( as in stone ) are all fur coat and no knickers

Well, count my Granny from Lancs as fur free and knickers out the whazoo. Scone like stone makes me wince.

Is this some kind of Brit shibboleth...scone pronunciation?

Those of us old enough to remember The Goodies & The Clotted Cream Mines will know that it is one of the key deciding factors in ones status in the UK

S

Those of us old enough to remember The Goodies & The Clotted Cream Mines will know that it is one of the key deciding factors in ones status in the UK

S

Um...never heard of TGATCCMs.

So: What's my (and your) status?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

S

Um...never heard of TGATCCMs.

So: What's my (and your) status?

I am not 100% sure but according to Debrett's it is Master & servant and you are now my "strumpet"

www.goodiesruleok.com

S

I am not 100% sure but according to Debrett's it is Master & servant and you are now my "strumpet"

Some kind of obscure Yorkshire rhyming slang for crumpet?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

In homage to Charlie Dimmock you could pile up a fullsome portion of cream and then dab a small dollop of jam on top. :biggrin:

Are you kidding? I can't believe she'd do that.

Are you kidding? I can't believe she'd do that.

Yes, people are lamenting about it on the BBC America forums. "They're caged!" they are all screaming.

However as Alan is no longer on the show, its certainly a lot more noticeable.

And how are we pronouncing scone?..to rhyme with cone or gone?...there is a subtle difference in what you put on your scone, depending on how it is pronounced :wink:

Scones pronounced to rhyme with cone have butter on them.....scone pronouced to ryhme with gone have Marg! :laugh: