• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 lbs of Potatoes

What would you do with 5 pounds of potatoes :wink:

Any innovative potato recipes out there? I posted this in the Indian forum because I would like to hear of innovative regional Indian recipes with potatoes....

Of course if you cannot resist a non Indian one.. do post!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, what are the regional recipes you have in your book? Maybe the different ones you have there, could find a good testing in your kitchen...

Maybe you can even post the names and maybe some recipes here? :rolleyes:

I am willing to go buy 5 lbs. of potatoes as well. So we can test them together.

Monica, what are the regional recipes you have in your book?  Maybe the different ones you have there, could find a good testing in your kitchen...

Maybe you can even post the names and maybe some recipes here? :rolleyes:

I am willing to go buy 5 lbs. of potatoes as well.  So we can test them together.

All the recipes in the book have been tested and are now in the process of being copy edited!

I was just wondering what other folks would do with potatoes..

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Congratulation!

Must give you great sense of relief and also some anxiety.. I know I cannot wait to see your book.

It has been wonderful to hear about it across these threads. Thanks Monica for sharing some of what is in it.

Back to topic, what would you do with the 5lbs. of potatoes you have?

What are some of the recipes you will make from them, Monica???

Monica:

How about skipping making something Indian? How about making some potato knishes, or latkes?

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r166.html

Rachel's recipe actually calls for 5lbs of potatoes...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Looks very interesting. I would like to try this...

i will show my ignorance.. what is Matzo meal.. sounds familiar

Matzo meal is used to make matzo balls for matzo ball soup, a dumpling soup that is served tradionally during Passover. Its made from crumbled up Matzah, the unleavened bread that is served during Passover. It comes in a box and and be bought year round. The most common brands of matzah and matzah meal are Manischewitz and Streits, you might find a couple of other brands down there.

You can find it basically at any supermarket in the Jewish/Kosher section. You can also make it by blasting a box of matzahs in a food processor into dust.

Latkes can really be eaten any time of the year but they are most commonly served during Chanukah, as a symbolic reference to the oil that was burned in the lamps in the great temple thousands of years ago.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Looks very interesting. I would like to try this...

i will show my ignorance.. what is Matzo meal.. sounds familiar

Monica, when I first came to the US over 10 years ago, I too had no clue what Matzo meal was.

I soon made so many friends that enjoyed matzoh ball soup and other things made from matzo, I learned what it was.

I know somewhere on eGullet, is a thread which has a recipe from Steven Shaw for his Latkes. They are really quite good. Some of the best I have eaten. For a man who hardly cooks, or not often I should say, his Latkes are superb. You ought to try his recipe. And since it comes from him, it would be a fool proof one. I was lucky to have enjoyed them in Ellen Shapiro and his home last fall.

I have to admit, I would make enough german potato salad to feed the clan at a down-on-the-farm family reunion.

I have a favorite potato recipe that is basic American cooking with an Indian twist. A twice baked potato with veggies and Indian spices. I mostly use peppers, onion, carrot, and whatever with a bit of cream and butter. I got the idea from the cookbook "Sundays at Moosewood." Not really Indian but very easy and a favorite with my mom and dad who don't normally get into heavily spiced food.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

I have to admit, I would make enough german potato salad to feed the clan at a down-on-the-farm family reunion.

I have a favorite potato recipe that is basic American cooking with an Indian twist. A twice baked potato with veggies and Indian spices. I mostly use peppers, onion, carrot, and whatever with a bit of cream and butter. I got the idea from the cookbook "Sundays at Moosewood." Not really Indian but very easy and a favorite with my mom and dad who don't normally get into heavily spiced food.

Sounds very nice. How do you make it? What are the spices that go in it?

Hello,

I would suggest a cabbage and potato strudel, of course!

You might be familiar with apple strudel, but there are many savoury strudels, too. Don't be confused with the puff-pastry apple turn-overs, which are sometimes sold as strudel. They're not!

The Austrian version would use a filling made of boiled potatoes, sauteed cabbage and onions, carawayseed, fennel seed, black pepper, and a little bacon or ham for flavour. Sometimes the filling is moistened a little with some cream or sour cream.

Maybe in an Indian context the cabbage and potato strudel would use ghee to brush on the pastry, and the spices could include mustard seeds and curry leaves, and some chilies.

If you aren't familiar with the long coiled, snake-like strudel, I will describe it for you:

Strudels are the Austrian-Hungarian pastries which are similar to phyllo pastry. In Greece and Turkey, phyllo is used for familiar dishes like spanakopita and baklava, among others. Like these, strudels are made from dough of the thinnest thickness. Instead of layers of cut dough, a single piece of strudel dough is pulled out to cover a kitchen table. After being filled, the entire dough is rolled up around a filling--sweet or savoury.

(Phyllo can be purchased anywhere and substituted for strudel dough, although hand pulled pastry is easy and alot tastier).

A simple noodle dough is pulled to a gossamer thinness on top of a floured tablecloth, until the entire table is covered. Then the dough is splashed with melted butter and sprinkled with toasted, buttered bread crumbs.

Next the filling is laid down in a line along one edge of the table. The strudel is rolled up like a jelly roll, using the tablecloth to roll the delicate pastry up. (Just like one would roll up sushi).

The roll is then transferred to a baking sheet, basted with melted butter, slashed for steam vents, and baked into the pastry is brown and crisp.

I hope someone tries it!

Rick

The first thing that comes to my mind is Gnocchi (sp?)...or a nice Lebanese potato and egg "mahroosa" (mash) like my mom makes. Basically boil and peel potaoes and hard boil and peel eggs (roughly 1 egg for every 2 tennis ball sized potatoes). mash them together with plenty of good evoo, chopped fresh mint, lots of black pepper and salt. Eat with toasted crispy pita bread. I like it as a light dinner with some olives and cucumbers on the side.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The local newspaper's weekly food supplement recently had an article on fresh turmeric (I had no idea such a thing existed, but is readily available at local Indian markets). Anyway, they had a recipe for "New Potatoes with Peas and Coriander" that I quite like after trying it. I have no idea if it's 'innovative' and may not be 'real' Indian food, but it's good. It's certainly not designed for 5 lbs of potatos, but could be modified or cooked in smaller batches. And the first time I made it, I didn't have new potatoes, just the regular ones; I don't think it matters.

The recipe is copyrighted (from "Ginger East to West," by Bruce Cost, the article says), so I can't post it, but perhaps the ingredients, separated by cooking stages, might prove useful:

6 to 8 small new potatoes

1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons minced fresh turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon dried ground turmeric

1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

2 small fresh or dried red chilies, coarsely chopped

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste

1 teaspoon garam masala

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1/4 cup fresh lemon Juice (1 large lemon)

6 tablespoons water

1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas

Happy cooking.

[i toast and grind the spices myself; none of those potentially embarrasing shortcuts :smile: but I don't have time limits or need to quickly get food on the table for a family.]

Monica:

How about skipping making something Indian? How about making some potato knishes, or latkes?

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r166.html

Rachel's recipe actually calls for 5lbs of potatoes...

You can make very nice Latkes by just grating the potato and the raw onion together, mix, season, and shallow fry tablespoons full in hot oil. No need of Matzo meal or eggs.

Other suggestions:

Sag Aloo (Potato and spinach)

Pommes Dauphinoise ( slice potatos, bring to boil in milk, seasoning, bay leaf. Pour into shallow dish, dot with butter, bake until brown)

Jansen's Temptation: as above but with lots of salted anchovy's included

Flavoured mashed (garlic, curry, horseradish etc)

Heston Blumenthal's Mashed potato with lime jelly

Chip butties

Potato pie (cubed potato, good gravy, pie crust)

Leek and potato pie. Cheese optional

Leek and potato soup/vichysoisse

Sounds like the Turkish Kumpir found by the mosque in Ortakoy (sp?) There are these baked potato stalls lined up in a cobbled side street .......yummy :smile:

Edited by anil (log)

anil