• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shepherd's Bush

ooh. i saw the edera stuff but i thought i might save that for a "proper" night out. i'm going to see dave gahan and am spending the day in an advanced state of excitement....

i read a review of the polish place recently. i think i'll give it a try. vodka shots might be the right rock and roll start to the night.

have you been? can you recommend anything?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

have you been? can you recommend anything?

I have been but it was to a wine dinner a couple of years ago so we left the vodka alone. I can't remember specifically what we ate but there are lots of Polish specialities which can be quite heavy, so if its only a light bite you're after be careful when ordering or you'll spend the gig wishing you could lie down.

Also its quite small so you're probably best to book. Its not a gourmet restaurant or anything but its excellent value for money.

i'll get smacked for being off topic here....

i saw him do personal jesus on the tv but am DEEPLY jealous that you went to glasto. moving swiftly back to food related items....what was the food like there? ;-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

I can't remember specifically what we ate but there are lots of Polish specialities which can be quite heavy, so if its only a light bite you're after be careful when ordering or you'll spend the gig wishing you could lie down.

you're a wise man, tony. we ate starters off the polish set menu (£12.90 for three courses and a shot of vodka) and then had salads but we were still slow to join the mosh pit.

we all chose polish ham with beetroot and horseradish to start and it was really flavoursome ham with some pretty powerful horseradish. jack carried on with the set menu and had polish sausage (the name escapes me) with onions that came with enough vegetables and potatoes for all three of us.

this restaurant is remarkably good value but i'll probably wait until winter before going back for the poliosh specialities.

and the final good thing is that even if you do eat too much, the empire is rolling distance away so you won't miss your gig.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

• 2 years later...

Just moved to Shebu, as a local bar would have it, and begun to try some of the eateries:

1. Nepalese place (name to come) on the Uxbridge Road, five minutes beyond the Central Line station - decent-enough, with very 'big' service, which may or may not be your thing.

2. Abu Zaad - super Syrian place on the Uxbridge Road. People must have mentioned this on other threads. Good selection of very reasonably-priced, well-prepared mezze with good service. The muttabel was especially good.

3. Chop, Chop - on the Green between the Central line and H&S stations - very cheap, not bad for what it is, but really poor service on the one occasion we visited.

4. Fab Fish Bar - on the Uxbridge Road. Chips as good as the name suggests.

5. Albertine - charming wine bar just off the Green. Long wine list, hearty food at reasonable prices and an excellent selection of cheeses (c.£5 gets you three cheeses from a list of twenty or so), which includes Epoisses and Reblochon. A real find.

Time Out local restaurant of the year. It think. Or Time Out something.

ta

J

Jon what was the award? I took the missus here for an anniversary dinner a couple of weeks ago, it was ace. Couldn't ask for a better local. Considering all the crap feedback they had just after opening, they've done well.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 1 month later...

Some more local tips:

1. Peacock, Ethiopian restaurant on Uxbridge Road. Excellent place discussed in a bit more detail on another thread.

2. Mr Felafel, a stall at the entrance to Shepherd's Bush market, on the Uxbridge Road (second entrance, not the first one, where there is another felafel joint that I've yet to try). Describes itself as offering "the best Palestinian felafel in London".

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the best felafel in London, full stop. The guys who run it clearly care a great deal about making really great felafel sandwiches from tip-top ingredients. Sandwiches come in three sizes (£1.50, £2.50, £3.50), with the middle size definitely being large enough. The construction of the sandwich is a real joy to behold: bread sliced, felafel straight from the pan is then crushed into the bread, slices of aubergine are added, then pickled turnip and cucumbers, then some lettuce, then home-made tahini and chilli sauce.

3. Patio, which is as good and charming as earlier posters suggested.

4. There are also a set of really excellent food shops along the Uxbridge Road, the best of which seem to be the Polish deli (excellent, cheap pyrogi and great-looking cakes) and the two Middle Eastern/South Asian emporia, Damas Gate and Al Abbas. Both have a pretty superlative range of pickles, oils, vegetables and baklava.

• 1 year later...
chez kristof up the road towards hammersmith

cracking rustic french

recently won an award

J

Thanks to this thread (and to Jon in particular) have just enjoyed a magnificient meal at Chez Kristoff of razor clams followed by confit of cod, squid done two ways (deep fried and steamed) and chick peas* with a side of purple sprouting broccoli (is there any other kind). A glass of house champagne and a carafe of Languedoc cabernet merlot were the perfect accompaniments and the whole experience was a wonderful though slightly bizarre prelude to the wonderful though slightly bizarre "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" at the Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Edit to add - oh, and there were pig's trotters in there too

Edited by Winot (log)

• 2 weeks later...
i'll get smacked for being off topic here....

Not as smacked as Gahan, ho ho, although I hear he is clean these days.

You can get sprouting green broccoli, although it is techically a beet I believe. Cima di Rappa

Yes I have an allotment, although not yet a flat cap.

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)