• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raleigh Dining Scene

Varmint

Kathi Purvis of the Charlotte Observer has a piece in today's paper (Link) about the Raleigh dining scene. Yours truly and eGullet were prominently mentioned, although I think I may be getting some nasty-grams from the Raleigh Convention and Visitors' Bureau with quotations like these:

"You can't name a single thing that Raleigh has the best of."

"It has OK barbecue, not great barbecue. It has very good stuff, not outstanding stuff."

"It's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit."

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just as an aside to those of you who are coming or are considering coming for the pig pickin': Kathi Purvis wanted to go to places that screamed, "RALEIGH." Well, those are not necessarily the best restaurants in town, and I can assure you that within walking distance of the Pig Pickin' hotel are a number of fine eating and drinking establishments. You won't be disappointed.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Jeez McCord, nice quotes. I am sure your restauranteur friends will be pleased.

I like this description of you, "Dean McCord, semi-professional eater." What does it take to become a pro? I've seen you put away some grub--I'd hate to see what might happen if you became more proficient.

Edited by Zeb A (log)

We also have a big-ass bronze acorn. That's inedible, too!

Yeah, the quotations were a bit harsh, but I'm not alone in my thoughts. It was an enjoyable visit with Kathi, but I may end up doing a response of how the Raleigh scene is more than what the article depicted.

As far as being a semi-professional eater, I've been wondering about that myself. If I'm a semi-professional eater, who is "semi-paying" me to eat?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Kathi Purvis of the Charlotte Observer has a piece in today's paper (Link) about the Raleigh dining scene.  Yours truly and eGullet were prominently mentioned, although I think I may be getting some nasty-grams from the Raleigh Convention and Visitors' Bureau with quotations like these:
"You can't name a single thing that Raleigh has the best of."

"It has OK barbecue, not great barbecue. It has very good stuff, not outstanding stuff."

"It's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit."

Despite the quotes, warranted or not. This is a useful article to someone new to the area. Thanks for posting the link, Varmint.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I would put the food at Fins up against anything Durham, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Atlanta, or even Seattle has to offer. Fins might not always win, but they wouldn't always lose either. Just got back from eating there and it was as good as ever. I think that the writer put too much empahsis on nationaly known, it's not like a write up in the Washington Post or New York Times makes your food taste any better.

On the other hand, Irregardless Cafe? Wouldn't go back. Wouldn't take someone from out of town there.

I only ate their once, but the fish was way overcooked and the potatoes tasted like someone detonated a salt bomb in them, and I believe the explosion must have injured are server because she was seldom seen.

btw...a big family of 6 were at Fins dressed in resplendent jeans, shorts, (tight fitting) t-shirts, and even flip flops. I like casual dining as much as the next guy, but....(sigh).

btw2...Fins has a new menu as of this week.

RA-

Fins is my favorite restaurant in Raleigh, hands down. William does so many awesome things with such a small staff. The service may not be as great as other places, nor is the wine list extraordinary, but the food!!!!

Please tell us about what you ate at Fins.

Finally, I agree with you about Irregardless. I get depressed whenever I have to meet there for a business lunch. It earned a decent reputation ages ago, but has done little to maintain it.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is simutaneously cracking me up and making me sad at the same time. Charlotte, as far as I am concerned is part of South Carolina. Seriously, if you live in the Triangle, how many people do you meet who want to move to Charlottle or even from there. I have the closed minded opinon that Charlotte is a city full of rich rednecks and more mullet's per capita for the entire state. Ok, enough Charlotte bashing...it is actually cooler than I say. I am talking from a rock snob's point of view.

I am sad b/c when posed with this question, I can not think of one stinking catagory R-town would excel in food. Nothing is 1/2 assed, service is usually great...considering how much the city has grown in the past 10 years, I think we're doing pretty good. Now if people would just open some offices downtown vs. going out to the wasteland, we'd be alright.

On a positive note, we are getting that Andy Griffith statue.

-----------------

AMUSE ME