• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bishops

Rover

John Bishop has been a byword for first class food, hospitality, grace and charm in the restaurant world of Vancouver for many years. Yet.... I just realized, that I haven't been to Bishops in years.

Yes - it's expensive, but so are most of the better dining spots in Vancouver, well ... actually - anywhere.

Please speak up ... Let's hear it! How was your Bishops experience? Mostly interested in something recent, but wouldn't turn away good Bishops stories that aren't too current.

FG - was this what you had in mind?

Ramblin' Rover

Thanks for starting this thread. I think Bishop's tends to be overlooked by foodies and food-writers who tend to be attracted to whatever is new, interesting, innovative, and unusual. Bishop's is just old-school low-key class. But John Bishop is really the father of modern BC cuisine (not that he's an old guy or anything) and Bishop's was still doing it better than anyone else last time I was there (which was three years ago).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I didn't find Bishop's that expensive. Wine list starts at $30 ish with great selection around $50-$60 ish. They seemed more than willing to split appetizers without a surcahrge, creating your own tasting menu so to speak. Nicest glasswear and cutlery in town. Far less spent here than at Lumiere and had a much more memorable experience. Try to spend this kind of money in Seattle in the same calibre of restaurant. You'll be drinking Pelligrino and splitting main course.

Perhaps if this thread doesn't get going with something more positive, there goes the message about Bishop's. Bishop's did get its fame in the early 90's when Vancouver didn't have a fraction of today's quality and quantity restaurants. Let's face it, there are lots of very decent choices in Vancouver today, although Bishop's might still rank at the bottom end of the top ten, depending on who is rating.

I do believe that old timers that keep re-inventing themselves while staying consistent do get rewarded. The trick is to get that buzz going for that long. Unfortunately, it appears that Bishop's may have lost that buzz or excitment in the city, although their clever use of regional ingredients is still touted.

My most recent experience at Bishop's (late 2001) was nonetheless a disapointment. I will preface this by saying that the previous 2 visits from the mid-90's were very satisfying. In either case, the details are lost for me to pass them around. What I remember on the last time, is that it was a Sunday and the restaurant was half-empty. We received poor, uninterested service. One of the main course I recall was a fish that was supposed to be discovered under a shell-like thin pastry. The dish was unfortunately visibly botched-up and overcooked. When I inquired, I received excuses, but no apologies or offers to re-do it; something like "that's the way it's supposed to be done". Well, that did us for coming back too.

As Rover says, he hasn't been there in years, but I too, am still interested in hearing about recent experiences...if there are any?

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

• 2 months later...

My last visit to Bishops was shall I say it ... disappointing. It lacked the pizzaz of earlier visits. I ordered the deboned stuffed quail with cherry compote. It had decent flavour however: deboned should mean no bones, correct? Well this little bird arrived with all bones intact. Including what appeared to be a good portion of the backbone. Given this was the night I got engaged and we were drinking some nice vino, hacking into this tiny creature with my knife and trying to carve off some shards of meat became annoying quickly. I noticed that the stuffing in the quail had large crystals of what was probably Fleur de sel. Great salt, not great to bite into several salty chunks that should have been ground finely. Upon spotting Mr. Bishop himself doing his usual tour of patrons, I thought this night could potentially be saved. But we were disappointed to find that he could only really devote time to the one 'regular' American customer who flew in from Seattle just to eat at his restaurant. I guess to hell with the rest of us. Needless to say, will not return to Bishops. Sorry.

Anisette

I have to say Bishops for me is not even good anymore. I have had two of the worst meals at so called high end restaurants at Bishops. That restaurant survives only on it's reputation and regulars that have been going there since the beginning? And why is it when a restaurant is not as good as it once was do they promote themselves as organic and local, such as Bishops and Raincity Grill? Who cares if they use nice fresh products if they can't treat them properly?

Upon spotting Mr. Bishop himself doing his usual tour of patrons, I thought this night could potentially be saved. But we were disappointed to find that he could only really devote time to the one 'regular' American customer who flew in from Seattle just to eat at his restaurant. I guess to hell with the rest of us.

We went to a benefit for the Vancouver Public Library last week where John Bishop was presenting a five-course meal, and had the same experience.

Once he had finished his demonstration, he said he would be walking around the dining room to chat and answer any questions. He did this, but only with the people he already knew, barely giving the time of day to the tables, like us, that had never met him, but had a question or comment. We were quite annoyed, and I don't think we were the only ones.

If you're going to work the room, work the room. Don't just chat up your friends and regulars then breeze by everyone else!