• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

verses

thezim

Unfortunately, there is a building blocking the view of the fireworks from the Verses Terrace. If you like though, you can go to the roof of Auberge du Veiux-Port, a few blocks east, and see them from there. They open up from 9:00 pm for drinks. It is reserved for dinner clients before that.

I was at Verses Saturday nght with my wife and another couple. The food was just OK but the waiter was brutal. It seemed obvious to us he was trying to run the bill. His opening statement to us was "shall I bring a bottle of Champagne"? . We ordered a bottle of water which came promptly. He emptied the entire bottle and proceeded to bring another bottle of water although we said we did not want another one. Things like this continued the enitire meal. When it came time to order wine, I made my selection, which he felt was not a good choice, and he made a suggestion. My choice was $41.00, his choice was $105.00! By the way, I refused to let him pour the wine...he probably would have filled the glasses in one pour. To be fair though, the restaurant is beautiful. Maybe with a different waiter, our dining experience would have better.

The night before we went to Bonaparte. Absolutely fantastic. The waiter was as professional as any I have ever encountered.

Hi DenK,

I'm sorry to hear the service during your dinner was not up to par. I appreciate the feedback and I will definitely take this up with the management to assure that this is not a common scenario and to rectify the problem. :angry:

This is a problem with newer waiters who are told to try and casually upsell (water, desserts, coffees, and digestifs). They get overzealous and try to dictate the ordering for the entire table.

A short report on my dinner two nights ago at verses.

We were seated right away and were told that we could be moved to a table in the front of the restaurant since some people would soon be leaving. Even though we liked our seats we appreciated the gesture. My wife received the lunch menu, by mistake, but it was rectified immediately. I ordered a bottle of wine (almost nothing under $50) which I found out after a 15 minute wait, was not available. We were moved to an oval banquette when one became available. They are quite quaint. My wife's starter was grilled vegetables with goat cheese. It was a tower of layers of red pepper, eggplant and mushrooms with a layer of goat cheese between each vegetable. Being a lover of goat cheese, she loved it. I had a mixed green salad with reggiano slivers with a very subtle likeable dressing. Main course for my wife was a tuna steak done exactly as she ordered: rare. It was quite a nice size. I ordered the lobster rissotto. I was quite perturbed with the portion size of the rissotto. It was the size of a small scoop of ice cream with two bite size pieces of lobster. It was quite a disappointment for $30. The texture and taste were delightful but the portion size left a bitter taste. Serice was excellent with the maitre'd and the waitress continually topping up our wine as well as water glasses. One other complaint. The wine glasses are much too large. They are more like fish bowls than wine glasses.

We checked out the roof top terrace, which has a slightly different menu and is less formal. It was a beautiful setting which I would love to try on a hot summer night.

• 2 weeks later...

The rooftop deck is setting up nicely for a 5 a 7 bar scene.... They recently expanded the size of the deck considerably. Full bar set up with some food offerings from Versus and others grilled right on the patio with BBQ. Next spat of nice weather and I'm gonna try food out. Drinks were excellent.

As at the front desk of Nelligan how to get up there.

• 2 years later...